Project510's 2003 Frontier CC

hovenator

Explorer
What brand shackle mount did you end up getting. I am looking for one myself and the one you got looks perfect.

Project510

Adventurer
Been a bit since I posted any kind of update. Not much has happened to the truck.

I did replace the malfunctioning Knock Sensor, and noticed an immediate (tho minor) mpg increase and better power.

I recently had the good fortune to attend the Hollister Hills Overland Rally and had a fantastic time, meeting some very friendly and well traveled people from this forum.

The rally really did change the way I will approach the build of this truck. The presenters did an amazing job of showing what was necessary as well as what is not, when traveling with our rigs.

Immediately after returning home I decided to give the truck a real thorough look over and noticed, she really is in desperate need of some regular maintenance. Also, I took the truck to go get the tires rotated. (its free from where I bought my tires, and hey.. those suckers are heavy) Iit looks like I may have some front shock issues as my tires are feathering in the front so I am not quite sure how to attack that. I do need to think about the rear leaf springs as there are basically flattened, and now the shocks need to be replaced. A basic 3 inch suspension lift with new shocks and rear leafs is most likely the best idea.

Plan is to have it all complete before the Overland Expo in May.

Time to get to work...

Immediate issues to be resolved:

• Coolant flush
  • Oil Change
  • Bleed brake system
  • Re-tap cross threaded bolt hole for tow hook
  • Steam clean engine bay/Inspect for leaks
  • Replace old hoses

Last edited:

Project510

Adventurer
Plans went a little different then I expected, but work was done none the less so I am happy for week 1 of the maint. repairs

Double checked the voltage on the battery (had some fridge issues while camping the last 2 weeks)

- 12.76 with truck in off position
- 14.02 With truck running all lights on (shold have plugged fridge in for the tests, so I will come back to this later)

Checked all fluids

- Power steering OK
- Brake OK (need to bleed the system, soft pedal)
- Oil is dirty needs to be changed

Removed/Cleaned/Oiled K&N air Filter (Still debating if I should go back to the stock box on this. I hear mixed reviews. Some drivers say the only real mpg increase is had with those only using the sealed box type liek the volant)

Lastly, Took the truck to the shop around the corner and the tech tapped the cross threaded hole for my tow hook, and no charge! So I finally have a safe, easily accesible recovery point in the front. I will attempt to add the 2nd one in front in a few weeks. I will need to plan that out because the bumper needs to be removed in order to access the area for that.

Yay for progress!

Project510

Adventurer
Some interesting but good news..

I decided to sell the truck. The misses and I are saving for a wedding, and work has kinda of slowed so until I can acquire a job at a larger property, I need to cut my spending. With a truck payment, high gas bills and full coverage insurance the truck was costing me about $650 a month.

I sold the truck for $10,500 and now am debt free. Insurance will drop considerably in the old civic I will drive for a bit, and gas is gonna be super cheap.

Its a smart move, and by the time the marriage is completed, I will hopefully be making more money and can start over on a more preferred platform like a Tacoma or full size Diesel

Anyways, its on its way to Idaho now. Hopefully get taken care of, but used well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior