Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

jojackc

What do you all use to plug in a 12v fridge? I’m testing out my wiring to my fridge in the rear slide compartment. I’m using a mounted Blue Sea car socket as that’s what my fridge uses. But it isn’t secure at all and will definitely lose contact even on a smooth highway.

They claim the socket has a lock feature but I can’t get the male end to lock in.

Looking for ideas on how you all make a secure connection. Cheers!
I would just cut off the car socket and hardwire it directly to your battery.

Catalanbull

One of my ARK corner steadies failed recently, so I upgraded them to their new XO ones:

They're beefy. Here's the picture side to side with the 30" regular ones.

I got the 33", fully contracted they almost reach the ground.
IMG_8117.jpeg

IMG_8135.jpeg

IMG_8133.jpeg

If anyone wants the smaller ones I'll give them for free (one of them is obviously broken), I'm in Riverside, CA.

thardin68

Just broke down in Blythe CA. I tried 4wheel parts but they could not provide info and Smittybilt was closed after 5.
im hoping someone knows what parts this thing takes. I understand the hub is from a 2007 2nd Jeep JK. i assume if the spindle is junk it’s a smittybilt replacement only. Anybody have brake replacement parts info, that’s all wasted as well.

Attachments

• 0C720452-C538-4D62-BF28-306C9B958378.jpeg
    0C720452-C538-4D62-BF28-306C9B958378.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 00336486-747E-465C-8986-BA4147EBB60D.jpeg
    00336486-747E-465C-8986-BA4147EBB60D.jpeg
    845.1 KB · Views: 44

thardin68

I can’t get the camber out of it with the adjusters. I think the trailing arms are twisting. There is no way these things can handle 3500 lbs. anybody else having camber issues? Least of my concerns at the moment. I have been considering having some beveled camber correction plates made for the spindle mount. But at this point after a tongue failure, the camber issues and now a failed set of bearings, wondering if a change is in order

Catalanbull

I can’t get the camber out of it with the adjusters. I think the trailing arms are twisting. There is no way these things can handle 3500 lbs. anybody else having camber issues? Least of my concerns at the moment. I have been considering having some beveled camber correction plates made for the spindle mount. But at this point after a tongue failure, the camber issues and now a failed set of bearings, wondering if a change is in order
Sorry this happened. I looked into replacing the brakes years ago and I believe the breaks are Axletek standard 10x2.25” brake assembly. That’s where my amateur knowledge on the subject took me. Smittybilt wasn’t able to help with that.

I never replaced them so I don’t know if that’s the correct one.

thardin68

Sorry this happened. I looked into replacing the brakes years ago and I believe the breaks are Axletek standard 10x2.25” brake assembly. That’s where my amateur knowledge on the subject took me. Smittybilt wasn’t able to help with that.

I never replaced them so I don’t know if that’s the correct one.
Thanks, any info I can get is very helpful. I spoke to smittybilt 3 different people this morning. To say that they have lost my confidence is an understatement. I had to order the entire assembly from 4WP, based on Smittybilt part number and nobody can tell me what I am getting. Smittybilt does not even have replacement bearing information.

I clearly made the wrong choice but have invested so much it’s hard to bail on it. If it were just the trailer, I would buy new and leave it on the side of the road with a free sign on it. Live and learn I guess….

Silverback07

Adventurer
When I first got my trailer I had a brake drag on me... it was on my initial shakedown run. I caught the issue but the hub was pretty warm. So I wanted to see if it heated up the bearing at all. I disassembled it and when reassembling it I damaged the seal. Anyhow, I contacted them and they were able to give me the part numbers. This was from 2017 so they may have changed on newer trailers.

Inner bearing is L68149+L68110

Outer bearing is LM12749 + LM12710

Seal is a redline 168233 https://www.etrailer.com/p-168233.html

thardin68

When I first got my trailer I had a brake drag on me... it was on my initial shakedown run. I caught the issue but the hub was pretty warm. So I wanted to see if it heated up the bearing at all. I disassembled it and when reassembling it I damaged the seal. Anyhow, I contacted them and they were able to give me the part numbers. This was from 2017 so they may have changed on newer trailers.

Inner bearing is L68149+L68110

Outer bearing is LM12749 + LM12710

Seal is a redline 168233 https://www.etrailer.com/p-168233.html
Thank you so much for this info! Really helpful.

thardin68

OK, Thanks for the help with seals, brakes and bearings. I'm going to try to grab some quality bearings and seals before reassembling and will replace both sides, rather than running the chinese stuff that shipped with it.

I have ordered some castor correction plates that I will run between the spindle and trailing arm to correct the 4 degrees of castor that could not be adjusted out. That problem will be solved.

Now, I am looking for any information on the shocks that are sent with Smittybilt for some replacements. I put some Monroe Air shocks on from an auto parts store last year and they significantly improved the ride charactoristics. I am just not a fan of air shocks, so looking to find a decent quality coilover shock to supplement the stock coils. Does anybody have a stock shock that they could measure extended and collapsed lenght for me? That would be a huge help in making sure I have the correct shock & stroke length to search with.

Slowly getting where I need to be to finish an 8 month trip on the road. I appreciate the knowledge and help in this group. My last few calls with Smittybilt have been infuriating with the lack of knowledge in their Tech Support dept. Several years back was a different story and I spoke highly of them. Now, not so much.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
What do you all use to plug in a 12v fridge? I’m testing out my wiring to my fridge in the rear slide compartment. I’m using a mounted Blue Sea car socket as that’s what my fridge uses. But it isn’t secure at all and will definitely lose contact even on a smooth highway.

They claim the socket has a lock feature but I can’t get the male end to lock in.

Swap everything to Anderson connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ttn333

Observer

Powerpole connectors. Does not pop out. https://powerwerx.com/anderson-powe...hQ65c9J4JiMZzUmPvGLXI6qDUDNiGWsxoCiKMQAvD_BwE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12