Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrettner

First post on this thread, looking forward to more mods in this trailer, since this photo my truck was tboned and totaled, just picked up a new one excited to back out on the trail.

This was broken arrow in Sedona, got a lot of interested looks and nay sayers saying wouldn’t make it up there with a trailer, she did just fine.
Anyone have any suggestions on form fit boxes, also was looking at maybe using Milwaukee pack outs in the rear? Anyone done something similar?
4e6faa2d9f772abbd8158f375a6454cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ComfyVan

What do you all use to plug in a 12v fridge? I’m testing out my wiring to my fridge in the rear slide compartment. I’m using a mounted Blue Sea car socket as that’s what my fridge uses. But it isn’t secure at all and will definitely lose contact even on a smooth highway.

They claim the socket has a lock feature but I can’t get the male end to lock in.

Looking for ideas on how you all make a secure connection. Cheers!
Having any luck so far??

Itsbobbyagain

I picked up a ‘22 model trailer a couple of months ago.

IMG_5270.jpegIMG_5271.jpeg
It’s in real good condition. So far…
Changed the hitch to a max coupler
I have a Dirtworx swing out on order
Removed the rear stabilizers since I’m not going to use a RTT
I have a complete 12v system I pulled out of the 4Runner (Renogy batteries, Victron components, Renogy and Goal zero solar panels). Need to figure out how to port all that over to the trailer.
I have 2 wavian Jerry cans and a Baja Rack mount to port over as well.
For water I just got a Ironman 10 gallon tank, water pump and a Joolca faucet. Will mount that behind my ARB fridge on the driver rear side slide.
Will mount a 2 meter size ARB awning on a custom mount on the driver side (didn’t come with the original awning mount).
Installed a Tow Pro Liberty brake controller and Airlift air bags in the 4Runner.

It’s too hot down here in AZ at the moment to work on it, but I’ve been getting all the pieces and parts on order so when it cools down I can get to work on it. Will post some progress pics.

ttn333

Observer
Picked up a cover since I park it outside. Gives it a little protection from the summer sun beating down on it. Not a perfect fit, but seems to fit well enough.

Attachments

• 20230724_190248.jpg
    20230724_190248.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20230725_113028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725_113028_Chrome.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 38

Itsbobbyagain

Picked up a cover since I park it outside. Gives it a little protection from the summer sun beating down on it. Not a perfect fit, but seems to fit well enough.

Nice, I got the same one recently, just the smaller version. Fits fairly snug but covers nicely. I only have a Thule box on my trailer not a RTT. I don’t think the smaller one would fit with a RTT. I like the straps and fitted corners.

ttn333

Observer
Nice, I got the same one recently, just the smaller version. Fits fairly snug but covers nicely. I only have a Thule box on my trailer not a RTT. I don’t think the smaller one would fit with a RTT. I like the straps and fitted corners.
Thanks for that. I kept on wondering if the smaller one could or would be a better fit.

Itsbobbyagain

Thanks for that. I kept on wondering if the smaller one could or would be a better fit.
This is how the smaller one fits. There’s a Thule box, no awning mount and no hitch under there. A strong wind already ripped the material a tiny bit near the hitch, but I think I could loosen the material and put a peice of cardboard near the sharp edges to fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5388.jpeg
    IMG_5388.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23

SeanH

Bought this trailer at the beginning of the year and have been making modifications since then. Took it out this summer a few times, here are a few photos from our first time out with it. Family of four with a four year old and an under one year old.

A few things we are using/changes we've made:

Added the dirtworx swing out rear tire holder, a rock n roll hitch and added a basket to the top of the trailer and using it to carry chairs, tables, inflatable kayak, etc.

Using a large ikamper tent on top and the roofnest awning.

Power is a large jackery and a solar panel connected to a dometic fridge.

Using the front where the spare tire was to stack propane and jerry cans with gas and water. Also have a rinsekit for showers and dishes.

Cooking set up is just a single burner with some magnetic hooks and racks to hold everything. Also have a standalone stainless steel fire pit that has worked well for cooking and general campfire use.

Using a pop up privacy tent and portable toilet for a bathroom arrangement.

Happy to go into detail or answer any questions on my setup/build. I'm pretty happy with it, only thing I'm currently thinking of adding is a diesel heater for winter trips.

Attachments

• 20230602_200040 (1).jpg
    20230602_200040 (1).jpg
    7 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230602_200120.jpg
    20230602_200120.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230602_200029.jpg
    20230602_200029.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 61

Itsbobbyagain

Bought this trailer at the beginning of the year and have been making modifications since then. Took it out this summer a few times, here are a few photos from our first time out with it. Family of four with a four year old and an under one year old.

A few things we are using/changes we've made:

Added the dirtworx swing out rear tire holder, a rock n roll hitch and added a basket to the top of the trailer and using it to carry chairs, tables, inflatable kayak, etc.

Using a large ikamper tent on top and the roofnest awning.

Power is a large jackery and a solar panel connected to a dometic fridge.

Using the front where the spare tire was to stack propane and jerry cans with gas and water. Also have a rinsekit for showers and dishes.

Cooking set up is just a single burner with some magnetic hooks and racks to hold everything. Also have a standalone stainless steel fire pit that has worked well for cooking and general campfire use.

Using a pop up privacy tent and portable toilet for a bathroom arrangement.

Happy to go into detail or answer any questions on my setup/build. I'm pretty happy with it, only thing I'm currently thinking of adding is a diesel heater for winter trips.
Nice setup. I dig that awning. How’s it towing with the 4Runner? Have you checked the hitch weight? Are you running airbags?

SeanH

Nice setup. I dig that awning. How’s it towing with the 4Runner? Have you checked the hitch weight? Are you running airbags?
Tows great, I forget it is there at times. With that said, I did need to add 4inch hitch riser and trailer still tows a bit "forward" and I've replaced the front jack pictured with a shorter one so it is easier to use in more terrain. I'm not running airbags, havent made any mods to my 4runner (will eventually do so, but likely won't do it for years once the kids are a bit older and we can do more adventurous routes).

AlphaBacon

Has anyone had any luck contacting Smittybilt for parts? I submitted a ticket on their web form but never got a reply. I responded to the automatic reply twice but was still never contacted.

My awning's metal pin on the horizontal support bar pulled out of the plastic and I'm hoping to purchase either the plastic plug and pin or a new horizontal arm. The awning is great otherwise.

This is the email I got the automatic reply from: support@wpdsmitty.zendesk.com

If anyone can help me reach smittybilt I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8488.jpeg
    IMG_8488.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8487.jpeg
    IMG_8487.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 29

ttn333

Observer
Has anyone had any luck contacting Smittybilt for parts? I submitted a ticket on their web form but never got a reply. I responded to the automatic reply twice but was still never contacted.

My awning's metal pin on the horizontal support bar pulled out of the plastic and I'm hoping to purchase either the plastic plug and pin or a new horizontal arm. The awning is great otherwise.

This is the email I got the automatic reply from: support@wpdsmitty.zendesk.com

If anyone can help me reach smittybilt I would greatly appreciate it.

They're sorta on and off with responds. I inquired about my tongue box lock not working. Got an immediate email response. Then nothing for a week or two but communication started again and they move quickly to send me the parts. Like overnight quick. They sent all new locks so they are keyed the same and received it the next day. Very happy with the service. This was 2 weeks ago.

AlphaBacon

They're sorta on and off with responds. I inquired about my tongue box lock not working. Got an immediate email response. Then nothing for a week or two but communication started again and they move quickly to send me the parts. Like overnight quick. They sent all new locks so they are keyed the same and received it the next day. Very happy with the service. This was 2 weeks ago.

What method did you use to reach them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online