Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

DMFergie

DMFergie

Hi Everyone!

I've ordered a SB Trailer from 4WP. It should be coming and put together in a week or so. I'd love any advice or any easy mods. I plan on having the 4WP team make some quick and easy mods based on gear they sell, I'd appreciate any recommendations there as well.

A little about our uses. We are a family of four, a 4 yr old and 3 month old, and are avid campers and hikers. We had a roofnest rtt tent on our rav4 and just upgraded to a 4runner to be able to tow this thing. I wouldnt call myself an overlander but at least half of our camping is dispersed and we've gone into some precarious places where we probably shouldnt have with our rav4. 90% of our camping this summer will be in campgrounds just to get used to camping as a family of 4 and to get used to the trailer. Here is the list of items/mods I plan on getting:

Towing and Maintenance:
I've already ordered and received a lock n roll hitch. I'm going to get some trailer chocks, a standard tool set to throw in the tongue box (since I'm not putting it together, what tools would you recommend bringing with you on trips?), magnetic level, recommendation on a small jack to replace a tire? Any other towing/trailer maintenance items I should be thinking about?

Mods:
I'd like to move the tire to the back to use the soace upfront for jerry cans for water and gas and a propane tank. Any recommendations on rear tire holders? Preferably an easy to install one (one that goes into the rear hitch?).

Power:
I was just going to grab a 1000w jackery and solar panels.

Sleeping:
Upgrading to a new iKamper tent, large enough to sleep 4 (our current one sleeps 2 to 3)

Kitchen:
I've heard magnetic everything is the way to go, I've looked into magnetic paper towel holders, hooks, etc. Likely will just throw pots, pans, cups and plates into a wolfrunner box unless someone has any good ideas for kitchen storage/setup. Leaning towards a dometic fridge for the rear storage area. I can't seem to find a great drop down cutting board to put on the side of the trailer, seems like the logo "bar" gets in the way of any mounting options. Also can't seem to find a great magnetic cutting board that you could just take out and slap onto the fender, what's the easiest solution here?

Storage:
I'd like to put molle panels on the generator storage door and the rear door to help strap and store things like a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, hatchet, etc. Haven't found a great solution for that, anyone have an easy one to isntall/fits these doors without having to cut anything?

I'd like to put a small roof rack in the space on top of the trailer and under the rtt, anyone have good suggestions for that? I would use it to strap things like camping chairs and a table, etc.

Using wolfrunner storage for rear pullout tray for general camping items, etc.

Misc:
Planning on putting a 270 awning. Will use generator storage area for firewood and pop up fire pit. Will probably look into a diesel heater this fall for winter camping and will store it here as well. I'll mount recover boards somewhere as well.

I've read through about half of this thread and will continue to do so for ideas. I'd appreciate any recommendations or advice as a first time trailer owner (and to towing, in general).
Just a suggestion. We use a 1000W Jackery and a dual zone electric blanket (on low, 3 or 4 runs you out from under the covers) in a RTT. Silverton/ Telluride / Ouray / Crested Butte area. lows have been in the 20's. This was one of he best investments we made. 200W panel fully charges Jackery every day. Usually it only drops down to about 65 or 70% and that's running a night light for reading and charging phones while running electric blanket. My wife loves it !!!!! You know what that means, more camping trips.

jojackc

Traded in the Dodge 1500 crew cab for a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Have the trailer on 35's and the Jeep is on 33's we will see how it looks hooked up but I think I'm gonna need to swap tire sizes lol

ttn333

Observer
Traded in the Dodge 1500 crew cab for a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Have the trailer on 35's and the Jeep is on 33's we will see how it looks hooked up but I think I'm gonna need to swap tire sizes lol
You're gonna need a big drop hitch. My jtr is on a lift with 37s and it needs a drop hitch for scout on stock wheels.

jojackc

You're gonna need a big drop hitch. My jtr is on a lift with 37s and it needs a drop hitch for scout on stock wheels.

How big you thinking? is it gonna be so tall that it will hit the tailgate? Really need to get it backed up to the trailer to see what it's gonna look like. Have a bunch of crap in the way right now because of some other work being done.

Unable to get parts... any leads?

Hi All

Completed my build out of the Scout but before I could even post pictures I was hit by a drunk driver. Trailer is not totaled but needs some TLC to get back to working order. The issue is 4WP is unable to take orders for any of the parts as they are listed as unavailable and Smittybilt told me they are building out their warehouse and will be a few months till they can start shipping out parts again.

I was able to find a few parts (None of what I need) on Ebay. I might be able to replace the shock with an after market and figure out a few other things. But any ideas from you guys?

Here are the part numbers I am trying to get

Left rear light87400-59
Left tire hub87400-09
Left side wheel well87400-13
Left rear stabilzer broken87400-47
Left rear stabilzer mount87400-49
Left Shock87400-51

Attachments

• Back of Trailer.JPG
    Back of Trailer.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 27

jojackc

You could take him to small claims court. Maybe if you can't get parts the court would say the vehicle is "totaled" and issue a judgement for a whole new trailer?

Catalanbull

Hi All

Completed my build out of the Scout but before I could even post pictures I was hit by a drunk driver. Trailer is not totaled but needs some TLC to get back to working order. The issue is 4WP is unable to take orders for any of the parts as they are listed as unavailable and Smittybilt told me they are building out their warehouse and will be a few months till they can start shipping out parts again.

I was able to find a few parts (None of what I need) on Ebay. I might be able to replace the shock with an after market and figure out a few other things. But any ideas from you guys?

Left rear light87400-59
Left tire hub87400-09
Left Shock87400-51
Sorry to hear... I too had an experience with a driver without insurance. Never fun.

I did a quick search of Smittybilt and the part number and things came up:

ie:
Smittybilt 87400-47:

It looks like you had done a lot of work with it...

Sorry to hear... I too had an experience with a driver without insurance. Never fun.

I did a quick search of Smittybilt and the part number and things came up:

ie:
Smittybilt 87400-47:

It looks like you had done a lot of work with it...
Thanks Catalanbull... I think this is just a ruse to get you to order but in turn they still need a distributor to fulfill it of which Smittybilt is not shipping to them for at least 60 days.

Hi All

Left rear light87400-59
Left tire hub87400-09
Left Shock87400-51
Update on my own problem! After way too much time sloothing through the web I found my workarounds. Smittybilt doesn't make it easy as they use unlabeled parts and others you cannot get in the US.

For anyone needing to replace or replicate.

Harbor Freight had almost the same tail light https://www.harborfreight.com/submersible-led-trailer-light-left-side-64362.html

The Spindle was a little more tricky and will involve some above my pay grade welding but I found an old thread on here where someone determined this was the correct spindle https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Spindles/TruRyde/TRU74FR.html

Wheel well was not an exact match but got pretty dang close https://www.trailer-fenders.com/sin...2wIVlWRiGs-kMBhfclt-agsqRBEago6UaAlTlEALw_wcB

Stabilizers, took the opportunity to upgrade to the Ark Drop downs. https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jac...EQrU5ANKrEnlRgIs3-MbNQaXr6snQmikaAociEALw_wcB

Shocks. Ended up ordering 4 new shocks https://www.finditparts.com/product...er-confirm&utm_medium=email&utm_source=webapp as they most closely fit the travel and weight of the others.

Lovely fun.

Nic

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Hey man I’m so sorry. You did a lot of good sleuthing though and for that top marks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jojackc

Ya man good job on that one. You should just see if you can get the insurance company to replace the other fender so it matches. Also convince them to bedline those bad boy's instead of paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior