Snow Run and winch-fest: Prescott 1/13

Scott Brady

Founder
I am going to do a winch-fest, snow run this weekend in Prescott on Sunday. It is good to pull some cable and work on a difficult driving challenge.

The ground is hard and the snow is pretty deep, so no damage to the trail.

We will do a trail local to Prescott, and then you guys are going to dump me off in the forest and see if I can survive the night and walk back into town. This will be a test of my new ditch bag for an article in Overland Journal, and sound like fun...

Let's meet at 10:00 on the south side of the square in down-town. If you want to have breakfast, we will meet at St. Michaels at 9:00 am.

Then, we will hit the trail.

Expect this to be extremely physical and lots of recovery, combined with a real driving challenge and the chance of damage if you are not armored properly or are really inexperienced. The trail is not difficult, but the snow will make it so.

Winch is required, but I would probably make an exception for the right truck.

Max of 5 vehicles.

Must have front and rear recovery points.
Must test winch and inspect line prior to trip.
No rock buggies

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Scott,

If you'd be so kind as to PM me the location of the route, I'll make a decision if I'm physically up to the challenge. My knees are both shot, and I don't want to be a hindrance to the other members of the party.

I'd like to go tho!

Mark

Scott Brady

Founder
crawler#976 said:
Scott,

If you'd be so kind as to PM me the location of the route, I'll make a decision if I'm physically up to the challenge. My knees are both shot, and I don't want to be a hindrance to the other members of the party.

I'd like to go tho!

Mark

I specifically had you in mind, so we will make it work. My plan is to go off of the Old Senator Highway and down into the Hassayampa area.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks Scott,

I'll be there for breakfast. I'm familiar with most of the FS roads there, should be fun!

I've got a 100' of 5/16" Viking combo line, 2 Super Winch snatch blocks, a 10' tree saver, a Viking 5/16" x 25' extension, , two snatch straps (2" x 30' and 3" x 30'), four 3/4" shackles, and couple of 5/16" choker chains for dead stuff in the truck. Also have a set of rear chains for the truck if need be...

Mark

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Sorry to miss this adventure. I'll be heading out of town... I really enjoy driving in the snow too :shakin:

Willman

Scott,

Make sure your packing heat / mid size knive so your not some hungry animals meal if you know what i mean!

Just my 2 cents!

Be careful and have fun!

Can't wait to read your findings!

:26_7_2:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
I am going to do a winch-fest, snow run this weekend in Prescott on Sunday. It is good to pull some cable and work on a difficult driving challenge.

We will do a trail local to Prescott, and then you guys are going to dump me off in the forest and see if I can survive the night and walk back into town. This will be a test of my new ditch bag for an article in Overland Journal, and sound like fun...

Let's meet at 10:00 on the south side of the square in down-town. If you want to have breakfast, we will meet at St. Michaels at 9:00 am.

Then, we will hit the trail.

Expect this to be extremely physical and lots of recovery, combined with a real driving challenge and the chance of damage if you are not armored properly or are really inexperienced. The trail is not difficult, but the snow will make it so.

Winch is required, but I would probably make an exception for the right truck.

Max of 5 vehicles.

Must have front and rear recovery points.
Must test winch and inspect line prior to trip.
No rock buggies

So wish I weren't 2 days away from you. I sure could use the adventure this weekend.:jumping:

Hope you have a lot of fun and the survival skills/bag are up to the test.

good luck.

TD

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Snow challenge

expeditionswest said:

Scott,
Sounds like a blast, too bad I'm 4900+ miles away! Make sure your batteries are in good working order and that you bring a proper snow shovel. The typical round point shovels don't do too well in the snow.
Have fun!
Cheers,
P

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
AZCPP will be riding shotgun with me for the day. That's dedication - Chuck's driving down from Holbrook, AZ.!

AZCPP

Adventurer
Scott,
Funny you mention being dumped off. At Christmas dinner I asked my neighbor/friend John if he would like to go with me and be dumped off in the White Mountains for an overnight survival test. Now, John is an avid outdoorsman, hiker, biker, kayaker, and runner and the kids at school call him "The Stud" (he is a High School teacher). He is 60 years old and shows me up on every hike we do together but, he very quickly answered NO! to my question. I said "no, I'm serious" and he said "So am I."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior