Snow Run and winch-fest: Prescott 1/13

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Thanks for the call this morning Mark. Yes, Scott sent a SPOT message this morning, and a click on the coords link took me to Google maps where they happen to have hi-res coverage of his location, so I could see right on the ground where he probably stayed last night. He'll be hiking some more this morning back towards the edge of town.

Hey, it was great to see everyone yesterday in the snow. That was a fun group of vehicles!

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Snow fun

Looks like you guys had a great time.
How much winching was involved? Any other good pictures?
Cool to hear that the Spot reported good news!

wagner_joe

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone for the great time yesterday. Especially to BajaTaco for the quick tug... It was great seeing everyone's rigs and ideas.. I'm glad we got to finally meet.

Thanks again to Scott and Chris for putting this on!! Here's a few Pics!!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I intentionaly got stuck in a rutted spot on the trail to do some winching.

We tested an Earth Anchor.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20145&hasJS=true

The results were pretty much exactly what we expected.

On the first attempt I pulled it out with out engaging the clutch on the winch...

The second time I placed it in a hard packed trail - it moved the truck about an inch before pulling the gizmo out. We then used a PulPal, and it took several attempts to get enough bite to get me up and out.

Other than digging a hole and burying the Earth Anchor, I don't see it as a viable recovery tool. It would be great for a shore anchor on an under 20' boat tho...

Oh yeah, I took a few pics, but none of the testing...
Mark

Willman

Right on guys!

Looks like a great run!

Can't wait to read Scott's report!

Oh and Ditto on the more picture part!

:jumping:

Scott Brady

Founder
Great seeing you all! I had quite an adventure last night and this morning. That was a LOOOOOONG walk back into town - ouch.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
expeditionswest said:
Great seeing you all! I had quite an adventure last night and this morning. That was a LOOOOOONG walk back into town - ouch.

How'd that go? Have any pics? How many miles was it?

Glad that you made it back home Scott!!

Hope you have no signs of frostbite on your toes, nose or fingers---that sleeping and hiking in the cold snow is very serious stuff!

:coffeedrink: How did the SPOT work? Does it have Expeditions West endorsement??

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
expeditionswest said:
Good to hear you made it out ok. The snow conditions didn't make it look all that cold to me, but I'm kinda skewed in perception. This weekend I was racing in -1F temps wearing a race suit and whatever thin layers I could stuff under it. Add in the wind chill from skiing anywhere from 35-45MPH (I'm a little slow) and it got a bit brisk. Thank goodness for my insulating layer of fat. It may not be pretty (especially in a race suit), but it does serve its purpose. At least that's my story. 8 hours of course setting and racing and I was just about ready to move to Arizona.

I bet Scott's going to hold us all in suspense until the bug-out bag issue hits the mailbox. All I care about is that he got home in more or less one piece.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As a local to that chunk of woods, I will confirm Scott's assessment of the length of the walk. It is indeed a long walk. He did it in pretty good time to boot. Pun intended.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
as I mentioned, I didn't get many photos...

1rst is airing down, 2nd is BT, 3rd is the Prescott Taco crew - L to R it's the BT mobile, myself, and Mr Expo.

Scott Brady

Founder
My estimate is about 10-11 miles from the point they dropped me off. I walked about a mile the first night to find a good bedding spot and then the balance the next morning.

It was really fun overall, but I am sore today ;)

Colorado Ron

Explorer
crawler#976 said:
I intentionaly got stuck in a rutted spot on the trail to do some winching.

We tested an Earth Anchor.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20145&hasJS=true

The results were pretty much exactly what we expected.

On the first attempt I pulled it out with out engaging the clutch on the winch...

The second time I placed it in a hard packed trail - it moved the truck about an inch before pulling the gizmo out. We then used a PulPal, and it took several attempts to get enough bite to get me up and out.

Other than digging a hole and burying the Earth Anchor, I don't see it as a viable recovery tool. It would be great for a shore anchor on an under 20' boat tho...

Oh yeah, I took a few pics, but none of the testing...
Mark

I was wondering about those. They didnt look like they would work very good. Thanks for the heads up.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Snow fun.

Great stuff guys. Thanks for the pictures and glad Mr. Brady made it home unfrozen!

Cheers,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan