Thinking about a Tacoma...

So I rolled my Jeep on Friday (Well, the OTHER guy ran the red light) and now I have to replace it. I've been drooling over the newer (2005+) Taco's for a while, and this is an excuse to act on buying one.

What should I look for? What should I stay away from? What kind of problems do they have that might need immediate attention? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
TRD Off Road.

Things you will need done,

Tailgate TSB, not sure if this is already done on the new 09's

Address the weak leafs in the rear with something, new leaf pack, 4pack TSB, or AAL.

You'll probably bust off the mud flaps the first couple times out, so you'll probably want to trim them.

Edit: If you're buying used, avoid the 05's, they seem to be plagued (like all new models) with problems the 06's and above don't seem to have as often. (weak frames tranny problems etc etc..)

IMO.

Last edited:

greenhorn

Adventurer
The first batch of the TRD Offroad '05's had some issues with rear end problems, but most of those have been already fixed. I love my '06 DCab TRD. With the factory rear locker, it is a very capable rig. Try to go for a double cab, it has alot more room. I recommend the V6. Once loaded, the 4 banger doesn't get that better milage. Good luck with the search. I know your down a rig, but try to take your time to find the right one. Good luck with the search.:26_7_2:

Rexsname

Explorer
Have a plan. Before you begin spending money on your new Tacoma, have a plan. Are you going to go with a RTT? A camper shell/topper? A Flip-Pac? I think your plan to buy a Tacoma is a good one, don't get me wrong. I just wish I had a plan when I started mine. If you have a plan you only need to modify it once.

I hope all goes well with the Cherokee situation.

I think it would be wise to NOT remove the mud flaps, DPS has a "thing" for pick-ups without mud flaps.

REX

Rexsname said:
Have a plan. Before you begin spending money on your new Tacoma, have a plan. Are you going to go with a RTT? A camper shell/topper? A Flip-Pac? I think your plan to buy a Tacoma is a good one, don't get me wrong. I just wish I had a plan when I started mine. If you have a plan you only need to modify it once.REX

The plan is a 3" Old Man Emu suspension, ARB bullbar with M8000, swingout rear bumper, RTT (how to apply it is gonna be a project...), sliders. No topper, no flip-pac. I have a dream, but it's the hidden technicalities I need help with.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Do you need a Double Cab? Extra cab will be less expensive, so if you're single or have no kids with none planned in the near future, Extra Cab will leave you with Extra Cash to do whatever, and it will get you a 6' bed. DC's also come with a long bed option, but you can't get it with the TRD package. And definitely get the TRD Off-Road (with the rear locker). And definitely the 4.0L V6. I think it's one of the best engines Toyota has produced.

I went from a Jeep (ZJ) to a Toyota and haven't looked back. Good luck with the purchase.

Purple People Eater said:
The plan is a 3" Old Man Emu suspension, ARB bullbar with M8000, swingout rear bumper, RTT (how to apply it is gonna be a project...), sliders. No topper, no flip-pac. I have a dream, but it's the hidden technicalities I need help with.

I would start looking at people's rigs on here. Its a great way to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the new Tacoma's and to see what works and what does not. I would most definitely check out TacoDocs build and others of course. TacoDoc has a great set up for his RTT. Its heavy, but it seems bulletproof.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
TSB's are where Toyota knows the messed up but will only fess up to it if you have a problem under warranty and take it in to be fixed. So they know that the tailgates are weak and bend in the middle, if you take it in they will add reinforcement to the inside of it. Or the springs, they bottom out with a light load and so Toyota will replace the original spring back with a 4pack(3springs 1overload).

No, I'd keep on the rear mudflaps just cut them down to size some. You could take off the front or cut those down too, my front flaps drug on the ground just driving over a curb or such so I just cut them down. IIRC the 05's had different mud flaps from the 06's and on.

I personally like an RTT to be just over the bed. I think it looks better that way but TACODOC's setup is pretty sweet all the same. I've seen some guys mount theirs to to bars that sit on the bed side and then bolt to the bed rails(tie down rails).

I think you ought to check out Phil's truck (streakerfreak)http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9846
He's got a nice rig with an awesome swingout, I'm envious at least...

Yeah, the 05's had some problems, like the rear diff, or some frames cracking or caving in. Things to that degree. Not to say that can't happen on the 06 plus but I think Toyota got the bugs all worked out of the newer year trucks.

Hope this helps some.
-Max

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Go with an older gen Tacoma, they are way more over built compared to the new chevota tacanyons and make for a much better trail rig due to size, less blind spots/ taller windows, almost fully boxed frames, not riveted C channel that will have serious rust issues behind all the riveted components, the shackles are a standard drop shackle not chevy style, steel gas tank skid plate not plastic, a real sheet metal bed not plastic, push button on the stick 4x4 not in dash/ hard to work on/ click twice one way than click the other way until it disengages head ache. The only thing that i have replaced on my 02 due to possible failure has been the water pump, timing belt and thats just maintenance after a 100,000 miles. The only thing cool about the 06+ is the more powerful v6 and the larger rear axle... IMO. oh oh stirring the fire.....

Last edited:

Bergger

Explorer
While there are things I do like about the new Tacomas I generally agree with the above post. I absolutely love my 2003 Double Cab. Plenty of room for the family and so far it has been absolutely bullet proof. Not one issue. Check out both models. They are both great trucks with +'s and -'s. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

KG6BWS

Explorer
while i dont know about the 05+ models, i dont think you could go wrong with an older tacoma. i absolutely LOVE my 04 double cab!!! my :2cents:

The 05+ Tacoma's are great trucks and one of the most aggressive looking trucks on the road right now. Don't let anyone convince you they are not worth it... THEY ARE!

If your afraid of electronics don't buy one, but remember you will never be able to buy a newer vehicle ever again since this is the way new vehicles are. People can't seem to face this little fact. Also, don't let anyone fool you into thinking the beds are as worthless as Tupperware. The Composite beds are one of the things I love. All three of my older trucks, which were two Nissan Hardbodies and one Frontier, rusted through the beds. I stepped down on my 95 and my foot went right through. So I love the Composite beds.

The bugs seemed to have been worked out since 2005. You should be happy with any year Tacoma you get though. Both generations are great trucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online