Thinking about a Tacoma...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Streakerfreak said:
If you have not had the need for lockers yet, you might want to look for a V6 SR5 Access Cab. It will be cheaper and you can always add the extra stuff later and come out about even with the price of the off-road and you will have better stuff. The bilsteins that come with the off-road version, while still good, are bottom of the barrel ones. Other then that all you are really getting are a few more electrics in the cab, slightly different tuning for the suspension, a locker, and some cool stickers.

That's just my opinion and its the way I went. Yes, I wish I could have a locker already in place since I can't afford one yet, but I am doing just fine without one.

There is nothing wrong with getting an off road version though. I would have if I had the money.

If buying new, that makes sense. If buying used, though, I'd opt for the TRD OR, since you probably won't see much price difference, if at all. Actually, with the current economy, you could probably bargain for a really good deal for a TRD OR that's already on the lot.

Cackalak Han said:
If buying new, that makes sense. If buying used, though, I'd opt for the TRD OR, since you probably won't see much price difference, if at all. Actually, with the current economy, you could probably bargain for a really good deal for a TRD OR that's already on the lot.

Very true.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Well, I don't know where but I know I've seen some sort of custom tray for the fridge in the back seat of an access cab.

I went to the dealer just now, and with about 75 Tacomas on the lot, there was 1... ONE... uno... a single... access cab 4x4. It was a 2009 without TRD OR. And it was a poopy brown color.

UUUGGHHHH.

Purple People Eater said:
I went to the dealer just now, and with about 75 Tacomas on the lot, there was 1... ONE... uno... a single... access cab 4x4. It was a 2009 without TRD OR. And it was a poopy brown color.

UUUGGHHHH.

Your kidding me?! Wow, usually there is more then that. Any other dealers in your area?

Streakerfreak said:
Your kidding me?! Wow, usually there is more then that. Any other dealers in your area?

They had a boatload of prerunners. I guess people just want a beefy looking truck without having another reason to even have it. The sales guy said he's never sold one to somebody who plans on actually using it intensely.

They had a boatload of prerunners. I guess people just want a beefy looking truck without having another reason to even have it. The sales guy said he's never sold one to somebody who plans on actually using it intensely.

Were they willing to look for one at other dealerships for you? Mine was found about 200 miles away and they did there thing to get it to my dealership.

I had an 05 Radiant Red 4cyl Access Cab. I did not like the 4cyl so a week after I got it I traded it in for a V6 and since I had already bought a matching canopy I wanted the same color V6.

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer

That's what you get for living down south. :shakin: It's just the opposite here--most are 4x4's with very few prerunners. You might want to start calling out of state dealers.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Cackalak Han said:
That's what you get for living down south. :shakin: It's just the opposite here--most are 4x4's with very few prerunners. You might want to start calling out of state dealers.

:iagree: :elkgrin:

Rob O

Adventurer

Then you didn't talk to the sales guy I bought from at Big Two. :p Mine will see plenty of trails ... as soon as I find time. :-/
2462697805_88ba787c3b.jpg

Fact is, in AZ, 2WD trucks (in general) outsell 4WD 10-to-1 and the ratio is probably even higher when comparing Tacoma PreRunner to 4x4 models.

I shopped Valley dealers for a couple mos watching and waiting for one with the color/trim/spec I wanted. There were 4 or 5 4x4 DC TRD ORs at any given time; 4x4 TRD Sports sold as fast as they came in (okay with me, I didn't want one) while the lots were swimming with PreRunners in every manner of trim.

Just went and test drove a new Nissan Frontier. I like the handling better than the Tacoma, and they're a little more moderately priced. But it's so low to the ground...

I looked at a 2005 with 32K miles on it, NISMO, silver, and the guy offered me $15,000 out the door. I could go for something like that.

Sorry about the Nissan talk in the Toyota section, I'm just exploring my options. I'm still open to opinions, too.

Just went and test drove a new Nissan Frontier. I like the handling better than the Tacoma, and they're a little more moderately priced. But it's so low to the ground...

I looked at a 2005 with 32K miles on it, NISMO, silver, and the guy offered me $15,000 out the door. I could go for something like that.

Sorry about the Nissan talk in the Toyota section, I'm just exploring my options. I'm still open to opinions, too.

Nothing wrong with that. The Frontiers are great trucks. Thats a great deal on a NISMO. I would go for that if I were you. After market is not as good as Tacomas, but its getting better.

I went with a 05+ Tacoma instead of the 05+ Frontier only because I like the styling better on the new Tacomas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan