Thinking about a Tacoma...

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
If you buy an '05+ Tacoma and you're planning on an OME lift, here is a thread and write-up on a 2006 Tacoma that I put an OME 3" lift (and Total Chaos UCA's) on.

FYI

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82383
(Scroll down to post #8)

But . . . FWIW - I agree with Taco Chaser 100%. I believe the '98 - '04 Tacomas are the absolute best. Specifically - If I had it to do over, I would get the lowest mileage 2002 Tacoma that I could find. They changed / tweaked a few things in 2003 that I didn't like.
twocents.gif

Last edited:
Jacket said:
Here we go again :rolleyes:

:elkgrin: You know it has to happen from time to time.

If you want to see a battle tested new Tacoma check out Jacket's truck and the fun he has with it.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
People saying first gen Tacos are the bee's knees, they have some significant issues to know about. For example, there's a ball joint recall on 750,000+ '01-'04 Tacos, the frame issue on 800,000+ '95-'00 Tacomas and some other non-trivial recalls. Don't get all blinded by the stigma, early Tacomas had growing pains as Toyota transitioned production and design from Japanese-made Hilux lineage to North American-only Tacoma. There are things I definitely think Toyota did wrong with the 2nd gen Tacoma, electronic shift t-case, upside-down shackles, etc. But I don't think it's fair to assume that the trucks themselves are anything but as well or better made than Tacos made 10 years ago. I think Toyota probably learned from the frame rust-through problem for sure and newer frames might not be fully boxed, but probably retain less residual moisture and are better protected against rust issues. My personal feeling is that if I had to choice solely on merits and price (features and frivolous stuff aside), I would pick the newest Tacoma of whatever generation I could afford and be happy.

The reason behind wanting one of the newer generation Tacos is because I want as low amount of miles as possible. I like the 2001-2004 Tacomas, but all the ones I see have at LEAST 50,000 miles on them. Now, I know that's not even a quarter of their life span, but I put 25,000 miles a year on my vehicle, and I want it to last as long as possible. I like the interior of the new ones better than the previous generation, and that's important to me. The only thing I dislike is the turny-knob-dealy 4wd. I wish it was manual. I like how the doors are thicker and seem beefier. The '01-'04 doors seem to be sheetmetal thin. It's probably safe, but I was just involved in a rollover, and right now, I need that peace of mind. But I've test driven both, and it seems like the new generation handles better and is more comfortable on the highway, another bump. New Tacoma wins.

I see what you're saying about whether or not I need the double cab. I'm not married and don't plan on having kids for at least another 5 years or so. I could use that extra foot in the bed for a tool box or something. Does anybody know if I can fit a fridge in the back seat of an access cab?

Purple People Eater said:
I see what you're saying about whether or not I need the double cab. I'm not married and don't plan on having kids for at least another 5 years or so. I could use that extra foot in the bed for a tool box or something. Does anybody know if I can fit a fridge in the back seat of an access cab?

I love my access cab and it works great since its just Jenn and I, but if I really need to carry another person or two I can. I also value the extra foot. I don't know what I would do without it sometimes. As far as fitting a fridge I am not sure. Some one should know.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Sweeet. Thanks. I'm sure an Engel 45 would fit back there...

Yeah, the only complaint I have heard about the access cabs is that you cannot open the rear up for better access. Other than that, the AC should be a better fit for you. Wish I had a 6' bed so I could sleep in the back...

Cackalak Han said:
Yeah, the only complaint I have heard about the access cabs is that you cannot open the rear up for better access.

What do you mean? From the pictures it looks like the rear doors are suicide, and open for pretty easy access... ?

What do you mean? From the pictures it looks like the rear doors are suicide, and open for pretty easy access... ?

They are and the rear end opens up pretty well for me. I can put the seats down and utilize it as a bench with storage below or I can put the seats up.

Please explain what you mean?

Yeah, the only complaint I have heard about the access cabs is that you cannot open the rear up for better access.

Were talking about 05+ access cabs which have 4 doors (two normal, two suicide)

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer

Oops, sorry. Still in the 01-04 mode. :costumed-smiley-007

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Cackalak Han said:
Oops, sorry. Still in the 01-04 mode. :costumed-smiley-007
And the XtraCab on this generation, like mine, would be a pain to get a bigger fridge back there. It would probably fit, but you might have to take a seat out to get it back there.

If you have not had the need for lockers yet, you might want to look for a V6 SR5 Access Cab. It will be cheaper and you can always add the extra stuff later and come out about even with the price of the off-road and you will have better stuff. The bilsteins that come with the off-road version, while still good, are bottom of the barrel ones. Other then that all you are really getting are a few more electrics in the cab, slightly different tuning for the suspension, a locker, and some cool stickers.

That's just my opinion and its the way I went. Yes, I wish I could have a locker already in place since I can't afford one yet, but I am doing just fine without one.

There is nothing wrong with getting an off road version though. I would have if I had the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan