Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics)

daverami

Explorer
arz and Hazzard, sorry so late...

After looking at my maintenance book, I only have about 9,000 miles on these. Close to half of that is off the pavement over rough rocky roads, so my miles are pretty hard on tires. I'm not sure how many 32nds this is, but I'm guessing by my standards I will be lucky to get another 5,000 miles on these before I feel like I need new tires. I don't like to run treads down as far as most people, though.

There are a few small chips and cuts, but overall I'd say these are holding up extremely well for a mud terrain, considering that this truck pretty much never leaves the carport unless it's headed for the boonies.

Toyo9000.jpg

Just to give some perspective, this is the kind of country I drive this thing in most of the time:
P8310575.jpg

Sad about that kind of mileage. Have you had them in any highway conditions with packed snow, icy, or a lot of rain?

MattM

I have put over 35,000Km on mine. lots of pavement probably 10 wheeling trips and lots of gravel! I have been very happy with the way they have worn.

I don't have any pics as my winter tires are on right now but I would say they have more thread than ashooters I hope to get at least another 25,00km out of them and I am also very picky when it comes to tread depth. only thing I noticed was when I did a 10,000km, about 2000km gravel, trip last year and for some reason the rears were a lot more worn than the fronts? not sure why?

overall I have been very happy with the tires they are heavy but they are very strong never had a flat with them and I smoked some huge rocks when I was running the trans-Labrador last year with them. They have worn nice and evenly also.

I ran them for the end of our winter last year they did ok on packed snow but I feel if you drive in those conditions you should have dedicated winters. They seem to perform fairly well in heavy rain also.

Matt

Last edited:

ashooter

Adventurer
I'm not "sad about that kind of mileage" at all!

Let's keep this in perspective guys - I have so far put approximately 5,000 miles of highway and 4,000 miles of rocks/gravel - gypsum, calcite, limestone, etc that started about grapefruit size that was cracked and crushed by a bulldozer, so now it's grape to fist sized jagged chunks. This stuff is sharp and really hard on tires.

I am astounded at how WELL these mud-terrains have held up!

:)

That said, for about 3,999 of those off-highway miles, a fairly agressive AT type tire would probably have served me better. When I get ready to replace these, it will probably be with the Toyo M-55 or Yokohama y742s.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Exactly.

I'm not saying the Toyos are a long wearing tire, I know a few people who have had relatively short wear from their Toyos (MT & AT). But the type of use here is 'extreme'. Many more hard off-highway miles than most trucks/tires experience. These kind of miles can quickly shred or puncture any tire.

Apples to Apples :smiley_drive:

I'm not "sad about that kind of mileage" at all!

Let's keep this in perspective guys - I have so far put approximately 5,000 miles of highway and 4,000 miles of rocks/gravel - gypsum, calcite, limestone, etc that started about grapefruit size that was cracked and crushed by a bulldozer, so now it's grape to fist sized jagged chunks. This stuff is sharp and really hard on tires.

I am astounded at how WELL these mud-terrains have held up!

snip............

ashooter

Adventurer
Pic taken Friday 19 Mar 2010... At around 10k miles, I'd say they still have at least a third of their usable tread life ahead of them. I will comment that I took the truck on a pretty long highway trip about a week ago and the tires are annoyingly loud at 70+ mph for hours on end. My next set will not be mud-terrains, for that reason, plus the fact that I really don't NEED mud terrains for the kind of driving I do. Not griping about these tires at all, they are just more tire than I really need.

P3190645.jpg

Last edited:

ashooter

Adventurer
you've already used 2/3 tread in only 10k miles?

See my posts above...

I've used up about two-thirds of what I am comfortable with driving on, NOT two-thirds of the tread depth the tires came with. Tread depth is about 13/32nds right now (unless I did my math wrong). They supposedly had 19/32 new. I'll order new tires when I get down to about 8/32.

Last edited:

Erik N

Adventurer
Toyo MT 265/75R16, 255/85R16, 285/75R16

285R16IMG_4301.jpg

Well, I am seriously considering buying a set of these for the old Suburbanator West Coast fishing rig.

I see these tires all over here in Texas. They are pretty ugly, IMO, but looking at the above pic I can see that the 255 has a "steeper" tread pattern than the wider sizes, which helps the appearance some.

Since I drive the truck only once a twice a year, the tires should last 25 years!

I wish there was another "E" rated AT, other than the M-55, in a 255.

Attachments

• IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 22

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

I wish there was another "E" rated AT, other than the M-55, in a 255.

The Toyo M/T is a great, very heavy-duty tire.

More in between tread designs would be nice in a 255/85. Unfortunately, most are pretty high-void, not ideal if that's not what you're looking for.

Erik N

Adventurer
Yeah. I love the businesslike look of the M55. I think it would work for 99.5% of what I would throw at it, and not even shrug.

It's that 0.5% that I worry about, like last October down canyon in the first storm of the season... I barely got the truck out. Or the washed out logging road mud-pit that was between me and premium Steelie water. I lost several "C" rated BFG's there over one season.

Here are 255 M55's on another member's truck (ashooter?) from another forum. Handsome tire, indeed!

Attachments

• SuzyARB2.jpg
    SuzyARB2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep, M55 is a good, solid (old) tire design. I'm not saying I'll never run another set, but there are other tires I like more these days.
My main gripes with the M55 are the "rock guard" between the center ribs, making the tread shallow in the center of the tire, and I'd like more void on the outer lugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears