U.P. Overland 2010: Gone. Seen. Done.

meafordmike

Adventurer
Nice job Tom! I am glad I made the video of the hill climb, somehow I think I was the only vehicle to not be in the hill climb video from firechaser :(.Jk not really upset firechaser.
I am really upset that Keri-Ann and I missed the last night at your local hide-out. Next year were staying with you till you kick us out of town. We ended up sleeping Saturday night in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Sudbury Ont, after paying for a nice room in Munising.
Mike

mountainsoul

Adventurer
Those places weren't in the UP. They were taken on my way back home. The first picture is on the Old Mission Peninsula near Traverse City MI.. The second picture is somewhere between Maniste, MI. and Muskegan, MI.

Cheers mate. Beautiful pics.

TJDIV

Adventurer
Nice job Tom! I am glad I made the video of the hill climb, somehow I think I was the only vehicle to not be in the hill climb video from firechaser :(.Jk not really upset firechaser.
I am really upset that Keri-Ann and I missed the last night at your local hide-out. Next year were staying with you till you kick us out of town. We ended up sleeping Saturday night in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Sudbury Ont, after paying for a nice room in Munising.
Mike

That last night of camping was spur of the moment. Had I known it was the only option (all other campgrounds were packed full with RVs :coffee: ) I would have mentioned it at our last meeting.

It's a challenging spot though as well, we would've had issues had there been even one more vehicle in there. Hence the reason it has never been included in a UPO trip.

So, about us wanting to come up to Canada, eh... How's the snowmobiling? :D (actually, can I even bring my sled up there?)

Glad you made it back ok. Kind of a bummer on the room. Nothing I could've done about that.

Rot Box

Explorer
Those pics are a real eye opener! :Wow1:

Looks like a good time for everyone. Thanks for sharing it with us :wings:

High Center

Adventurer
Get ready - I'm planning a similar trip in the NC/TN/GA area for probably next spring.[/QUOTE]

:wings:

Let me know- I'm in.

Off topic

Had to have a westy top for my Arkana,let me know what you guys think. I will take it to the canvas place hopefully by the end of the week. I have 2 hinges so might make it stand up flat instead of an angle.

James

Attachments

• P1010673.JPG
    P1010673.JPG
    686 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010674.JPG
    P1010674.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010675.JPG
    P1010675.JPG
    689.9 KB · Views: 26

meafordmike

Adventurer
Had to have a westy top for my Arkana,let me know what you guys think. I will take it to the canvas place hopefully by the end of the week. I have 2 hinges so might make it stand up flat instead of an angle.

James
I can't wait to see it done. I have to admit I had to Google westy top and Arkana. (I like to call your truck a Troopy; I really don't know the difference.)
We're looking at Flipacs & FWC tops or a RTT. Still deciding, but we may go a different route and get one of these with trailers.
http://chatham-kent.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-Bombadier-Iltis-W0QQAdIdZ159888727
http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-Iltis-and-Trailer-for-Sale-W0QQAdIdZ221750932
Then we to could be unique!
Mike

Pics

Mike,what is that vehicle it looks really neat,and I can see where the trailer would come in handy.

I will post pics on here of my progress.......I am attaching the westy top to the rack not going to be cutting any holes in my rig........even tho it would probably be better that way,at least we could stand up in the rig.

James

meafordmike

Adventurer
Mike,what is that vehicle it looks really neat,and I can see where the trailer would come in handy.

I will post pics on here of my progress.......I am attaching the westy top to the rack not going to be cutting any holes in my rig........even tho it would probably be better that way,at least we could stand up in the rig.

James
It’s an Iltis jeep, made by Bombardier (skidoo, Can Am, planes and train maker). It’s a VW design with VW engine. The Canadian Army used them till about 2006 then we replaced them with a G-wagon. I think they are a good investment, as the 25 year import to the States rule is coming up on some this year, and I can still find some parts around work:sombrero:. Still working on Keri-Ann and will need a RTT for the trailer to carry stuff. But it’s only a 4 cylinder gas VW rabbit engine and lots of heavy metal.
On a side note we also saw this on our way home from UP overland.
IMG_0895.jpg

a 1982 BJ42 diesel, but he wants 12000$ and it’s in bad shape with a nice new yellow paint job.
IMG_0899.jpg

I was looking at Vermont overland for possible trip, but I have to firm up my schedule this fall as I am away for 2 months with work.
Keep in touch!
Mike

Weeeee

Looks like a great time, I have been to quite a few of the places you guys went to and will be visiting them again in a week.

Do you guys air down your tires on these trips or do you stay aired up the whole time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears