U.P. Overland 2010: Gone. Seen. Done.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Looks like a great time, I have been to quite a few of the places you guys went to and will be visiting them again in a week.

Do you guys air down your tires on these trips or do you stay aired up the whole time?

I dropped down to a whopping 35 psi and had no problems during the whole trip. I am running 285/75/16 Treadwrights on BFG casings with a load range D.

Progress

Have the floor made and bolted the westy top in place,might change it to sit flat using the other hinge.

James

Attachments

• P1010676.JPG
    P1010676.JPG
    688 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010677.JPG
    P1010677.JPG
    687.6 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010678.JPG
    P1010678.JPG
    695.9 KB · Views: 31

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Cant wait to see that Arkana with the Westy Top!! Truely one of a kind!

As for airing down. On the Bill Nichols Trail, I had our 265-75-16 Goodyear Silent Armor's at the normal 80psi and did fine all day.

The next day I aired down to 50psi because the trails were a bit rocky and it made it a bit softer on the tailbone.

Then we got stuck on Gay Beach (Hold the jokes...LOL) and aired down to 30psi which we stayed at for the rest of the adventure.

30psi with a E Rated tire feels very squishy on the pavement, but on the trail, it felt great and I never had to put it in 4 wheel drive

Cant wait to see that Arkana with the Westy Top!! Truely one of a kind!

As for airing down. On the Bill Nichols Trail, I had our 265-75-16 Goodyear Silent Armor's at the normal 80psi and did fine all day.

The next day I aired down to 50psi because the trails were a bit rocky and it made it a bit softer on the tailbone.

Then we got stuck on Gay Beach (Hold the jokes...LOL) and aired down to 30psi which we stayed at for the rest of the adventure.

30psi with a E Rated tire feels very squishy on the pavement, but on the trail, it felt great and I never had to put it in 4 wheel drive

Thanks guys,brought it to the canvas place and just waiting for the price before I take the dive.

As far a tire pressure,the first day I was in 2wd with full air,after that I went down to 25 in rear and 22 in front and used 4wd high,with low for the one mud climb.

James

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer

gunny1001

Adventurer
Thanks Louis!- that was Hod honking at you on Highway 2.
Pat that truly was a special night. Tom definitely hooked us up with the banjos. I'm sorry we had to leave early sunday- work and all- leaving the rest of you to look for Ian. I sure hope our paths cross again.
I was not able to get any lightning exposures, but thanks for this:

973359081_T6A2M-L.jpg

As for pics- I was kind of surprised that I actually didn't take all that many. As Hod will attest, I am frustratingly slow and try to get all my ducks lined up before pressing that shutter release. Then it's a couple of sliders in LR3 (mainly clarity, vibrance and sharpening) to restore the RAW files. I will never make a good people shooter, but landscapes are very patient with me.:)

We were supremely blessed with good weather this week and I was able to capture some decent sunrise/sunset offerings. The UP blows me away every time.

973372655_szNf8-L.jpg

973367893_ELX6L-L.jpg

973366377_zi7Bs-L.jpg

A typically friendly local had snagged this snapper at the mouth of the Huron, and offered me the chance to take it - "makes nice soup" he says. I was scared sh@3$less. He then reached down cut the line and we watched it swim away, hook in mouth. While he paddled off into the lake I got a couple of shots and later found his canoe conveniently posing for me as the day ended.

973376844_rWqJc-L.jpg

973369499_5htHo-XL.jpg

973371025_b7emc-XL.jpg

UP waterfalls.

973378322_8eDBw-XL.jpg

973380029_bDTCq-XL.jpg

Sunset and Sunrise at the secret seclude.

973382181_62Dxu-XL.jpg

973375000_9BT4k-XL.jpg

What kind of camera was used for these photos? Absolutely beautiful.....Thanks for your time..

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Gunny, Joash uses a Canon 5D Mark II, but it's not always the camera. He's a stickler for correct exposures with vast knowledge of the skills needed to achieve these images with the proper settings

James, Just as a reference for price. I know we talked about this on the trip :)
Looks awesome! Did you fiberglass over the skylight? I wish I had done that when I restored mine. I like that you put it on backwards utilizing the already aerodynamic finished rear:)

Cotton: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2513&category_id=135&category_parent_id=

Acrylic: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2514&category_id=135&category_parent_id=

I thought it would look better in that direction plus it is much more aerodynamic. My skylight is not there but it has the outline of it,I was thinking of having the canvas guy cut it out and install somekind of canvas window so we could look out into space at the stars. Wow I am surprized at the prices of the canvas,very cheap,if my guy is over $700 I might have to order one and install it myself. I got a cool awning out of a 1967 grumman p30 camper I got just before I left for the U.P,going to try and make that work too. Also pulled some neat vintage hinges from the grumman van

Attachments

• P1010670.JPG
    P1010670.JPG
    707.3 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010672.JPG
    P1010672.JPG
    681.9 KB · Views: 24

Eventhough

Explorer
Looks like a great time, I have been to quite a few of the places you guys went to and will be visiting them again in a week.

Do you guys air down your tires on these trips or do you stay aired up the whole time?

I started at street set 35 psi, but with leaf springs I got the snot beat out of me and the wife. Then I aired down to about 25 psi plus cranked my shocks as low as they would go and that helped a lot on the trail, but made us lean a bit more on the road in the corners. On tougher trails I air down to 18 psi but didn't want to go that low with the extra weight packed and road miles ahead.

Picked up this while I wait for my canvas top install

Really nice fj60,got it from the original owner

Attachments

• P1010685.JPG
    P1010685.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010689.JPG
    P1010689.JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010693.JPG
    P1010693.JPG
    693.9 KB · Views: 30