'10 Tundra CrewMax

zidaro

Explorer
Skids are on! Nothing too exciting about the install, easygoing.

IMG_0779_zpsf7ae53cb.jpg

I complicated the issue by having a Diff Drop by Total Chaos that i installed with the lift install. Called Bud (of BudBuilt) to see if that was an issue and he said it is and to remove the diff drop to get the skids to fit correctly. Figured i would try it with the drop in place first. This does, of course, lower the skid an Inch at the front third member to clear- so a loss of an inch clearance at the front center of the truck to keep the Diff Drop. Not rockcrawling the Tundra so not too concerned about a small loss of clearance.
Spaced the front of Buds Mid-skid with an inch of thick washers, spaced the rear of the mid skid with 1/2" washer. Front skid didnt need spacers to fit flush with the mid skid.

front mounts of the mid skid spaced at 1" drop to match the Total Chaos Diff Drop.
IMG_0775_zps3e27a1d7.jpg

rear of mid skid spaced 1/2" down to clear. I might remove these spacers and see if it fits after i run it for awhile, i think it will be fine without any drop in the rear
IMG_0778_zps6b84388a.jpg

perfect fitment at seam between the two
IMG_0777_zps911d6693.jpg

clean-n-tight from the front. stainless should keep its beauty for years to come with little upkeep
IMG_0776_zps9226a0ed.jpg

I'll get some use with them and update my impressions. So far- stoked!

zidaro

Explorer
MMMmmmmm! Candy
Method Race street wheel 18x9 +18mm offset

IMG_0785_zps3c5b8b5f.jpg

offset should put tire at outer edge of wheelwell.

Now, tires sized in 285/75R18 or 35/12.5s. Flavors- Toyo MT, AT2, ******** Cepek FCII, or?????
My Duratracs wore too rapid for another round on a heavy truck.

Derek24

Explorer
I love my Mickey Thompson MTZs, they have sipping as well which you may like with all the snow I see in your pics. Good wear so far. My pop has Toyo MT on his 07 RCSB and daily drives his truck 40 miles a day, 5 days a week for almost a year now and they still look new. Just beware the Toyo's are HEAVY!! Nice tire though, really quite!

zidaro

Explorer
I love my Mickey Thompson MTZs, they have sipping as well which you may like with all the snow I see in your pics. Good wear so far. My pop has Toyo MT on his 07 RCSB and daily drives his truck 40 miles a day, 5 days a week for almost a year now and they still look new. Just beware the Toyo's are HEAVY!! Nice tire though, really quite!

Ive considered the MT MTZ too! Did it balance well?
How do your 'dads Too MT's do on Icy or Snow covered roads?

Derek24

Explorer
Ive considered the MT MTZ too! Did it balance well?
How do your 'dads Too MT's do on Icy or Snow covered roads?

My MTZs are the best balancing tire I have had yet, and this is my 8th set of tires!! Don't ask.....Living in the Bay Area my Dad does not drive in snow ever. He uses it to get to the cabin in the hills and hunt. Lots of sharp rocks and mud and they do great, no chunking or slices. Although my friend has the Toyo's on his Dodge 2500 Diesel with a cab-over camper, all together weight close to 12K lbs and he travels to CO often and those tires are holding up great. From what I've read and heard they do ok in snow and ice with the sipping they have. Sorry cant really say since I do not live in an area with lots of snow and ice during these months.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
Now, tires sized in 285/75R18 or 35/12.5s. Flavors- Toyo MT, AT2, ******** Cepek FCII, or?????
My Duratracs wore too rapid for another round on a heavy truck.

New tires and wheels are always nice!

Though I've yet to own a set, I like the 285/75R18 size because I don't care for wider tires. 35" tall and 285mm wide is good in my book, and as you know, about 1" narrower than a 12.50 which should be better on snow/ice. Bad is that there are not many choices in the 285/75R18 size.

A local friend had DuraTracs on a heavy full-size truck and they didn't last [like only 15k]. I know many love them, and I'd like to try a set, but even my local Discount Tire manager told me the wear can be very fast on heavier trucks.

I have a set of 33" MTZs but they've received hardly any use, are essentially new and waiting for future challenges. However, they did balance well and I like them. Love the thick/deep sidewall lugs. Great looking tire.

Toyo M/T... I've got a few blog posts coming when I can make the time about a set of Toyo M/Ts I used deer hunting this past Oct. I won't tell the whole story here but will just say wear was not good under hard use and there were other surprises. I know others that have mostly received about 30k from a set on heavy trucks (and they were done). Great, quality tires, but not perfect. Oh yeah, all Toyos (M/T & M55) have made my trucks pull to the right [2 Toyota 4WDs and one old F350].

You probably know I love the the ******** Cepek Fun Country tread, the siping is very good (shape and amount). Do you read Overland Journal? In the new Gear 2013 issue that just came out there's a couple small pictures from SEMA of the new ******** Cepek Fun Country II and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 [formerly the ATZ 4-rib]. I'm not sure when these treads will be available, but I was told all sizes will now have 3-ply sidewalls and I think some of the former load-range D versions will be LR E [that's good if you like it].

Both of these tires now have slightly more void than the tires they are replacing. The sidewalls on the Fun Country not only look better [not sure I like the tread appearance better], but actually have little sipes in the tread on the sidewalls. Cool! The Fun Country still have what I consider superior siping in the tread blocks. I'm looking forward to trying a set and comparing them to the current F-C II tread I’ve run for a few years, but who knows when these will actually be available?

James

zidaro

Explorer
Thanks for all the Input guys. Still not decided and now, James, i may have to wait and see whats around the corner! A blend of the MTZ and ATZ might be perfect. Please keep the advise coming and if anyone hears of these new options release, slap me so i get a set.

Blew it and did not weigh each skid before install! Completely meant to, but it was very cold out and i just got going and forgot to stop. They will be coming back off possibly in the near future for a traction upgrade and will positively be weighed then!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks for all the Input guys. Still not decided and now, James, i may have to wait and see whats around the corner! A blend of the MTZ and ATZ might be perfect. snip...

Agreed.

I've wanted to try the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-rib for a while, now the ATZ P3 looks even better.

cosanostra

I have the toyo trail grappler mt 295/70/18 on my tundra with the same method wheels (black). They have worn very well, gas mileage went way down. Tire works well in everything except Texas snowy ice garbage,, not so sure about real snow. Traction control came on all the time in 2wd, in 4wd tires are fine, maybe more the power in the truck than the tire itself..

Thanks for sharing , I'm planning on installing several of the same things you have done,, very nice truck..

Bruce

Observer
Any Updates? This truck keeps me motivated to do something with mine soon! Wheel/tire decision made? Great thread!:bike_rider:

zidaro

Explorer
Any Updates? This truck keeps me motivated to do something with mine soon! Wheel/tire decision made? Great thread!:bike_rider:

thanks. You got a Tundra as well? What part of High Desert you in?

No great updates, but it is still a great truck! Got plenty of use this winter taking short trips with the Pop-up into Death Valley and our surrounding mtn. ranges, all closeby.

Been burning the tires into the ground waiting for some of the newest aggressive all-terrains to come out. Driving me crazy cuz i have the wheels sitting in the garage taunting me ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal