1100 miles later...Introducing Big Red

Viggen

Just here...
So, I began the search for a factory diesel long ago. Wanted to stay Land Rover but my options were limited to Defenders. Many would say that that is a nice place to be limited to but it wasnt for me (insurance issues, quality of 110s available for less than $20k is appalling, non factory diesel swaps, numerous "1984's," etc...). I find Defenders to be some of the most uncomfortable vehicles for taller people I have ever been in so that removed that from my list. I couldve converted the D1 to diesel but then I am running into Virginia DEQ problems and inspection issues that I didnt want so I started looking at Land Cruisers. I can find legal Canadian imports relatively easily with factory diesels. Plus, they have legendary diesels in them that last for 100s of thousands of miles with little issue.

So, without further delay, my new vehicle. Its my daily driver too. I picked it up in New Orleans and drove it back over a day and a half. Cruising at 70-75 mph the entire way, I had no issues. Also, averaged about 19 mpg which isnt too shabby for something as big as this truck is and going from flat land up into the mountains.

1983 BJ60
H55F
4.5" OME Dakar lift kit
Locked rear
32x11.50 Pro Comp ATs (will be 33x11.50s soon)
4+ Front bumper with 9500lb T Max
4+ Rear bumper with swing out spare tire carrier and swing out for two jerry cans and Hi Lift
NO RUST OR ROT
Safari Snorkel
Great interior with good stereo and Cobra CB

Plans are to do a fluids change, IPOR will be making up some sliders for me in a few weeks, wooden organizer in the back (I dont want drawers as I use cases), pick up a few spares (alternator, etc...), Ziebarted and undercoated this week, a few lamps and thats about it.

IMG-20110130-00064.jpg

IMG-20110130-00063.jpg

IMG-20110130-00062.jpg

IMG-20110130-00061.jpg

IMG-20110130-00060.jpg

1368355119_2f44bc6d47_o.gif

Expedition Leader
Congratulations! Beautiful truck. I saw it on mud and was tempted myself. I think you did well.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Holy cow -- what a beauty! Your search and acquisition-**** is strong Jarrod.

Congratulations!

Wow. Jealous. Great find!

And it's no surprise that Chuck likes it. I heard he invented the Landcruiser... Heard you can fuel it with his urine.

vwluv10338

Ah so you bought it. I saw this one when it was on Ebay and then when it went back up on Mud. I wondered what happened since the thread wasnt bumped. On another note on Thursday I am picking up the green 2H swapped FJ62 that is on Mud. I was watching both of those trucks. I am psyched as I assume you are.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
AXT makes a great turbo kit for the 3B engine. It is a fantastic upgrade to your super-fantastic new rig! Congrats!

Viggen

Just here...
Very nice, congrats on the new ride. Do update us with pics as you continue your build progress.:smiley_drive:

I will. Right now, Im suspecting that it needs a glow plug or two as its a rough starter in the morning. I need to run through the checks and see what the deal is. Did its first really cold start this morning (22 degrees) and it took a couple go throughs to get her up and running. Once shes started, it runs smoothly and is fantastic to drive around. Love the torque. When pushing the gas pedal down in first, the truck leans a little bit when the motor starts gaining revs. Its a lot of fun.

Ah so you bought it. I saw this one when it was on Ebay and then when it went back up on Mud. I wondered what happened since the thread wasnt bumped. On another note on Thursday I am picking up the green 2H swapped FJ62 that is on Mud. I was watching both of those trucks. I am psyched as I assume you are.

PM'ed you about that.

AXT makes a great turbo kit for the 3B engine. It is a fantastic upgrade to your super-fantastic new rig! Congrats!

It runs so nicely right now, Im not too sure I want a turbo kit on it. The kit would give me some more mountain pass power but Im not too sure its worth the cost right now. Not too sure what it would do to the mileage either. Im liking getting 20+ around town.

bomar

Adventurer
very nice truck. I wanted it but the no ac killed me on the deal.

it has a great story behind it...

Viggen

Just here...
Welcome to reliability!

Haha, I guess. I have a few things to clean up and replace but its a very good start. I will miss my Disco though.

very nice truck. I wanted it but the no ac killed me on the deal.

it has a great story behind it...

A/C is helpful but wasnt too big of a deal for me.

The divorce story? That one or something else?

Johnny B

Where are you from? Were you driving northbound on 81 on friday afternoon? :smiley_drive: I was going southbound in a silver 80 serries with an ARB and ski racks.

Niice rig!

Viggen

Just here...
That was me. I live in Arlington. It was the last leg of a very long trip. I did pass a couple of Cruisers on the drive back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven