1100 miles later...Introducing Big Red

Viggen

Just here...
I couldve made him get a warrant but sometimes its not worth the time. Sometimes a cop will be challenged and then back off but I dont think that he was going to.

I just got back from a trip to WVa for the long weekend. Ill be posting up some of the sliders soon. This weekend will be a work weekend hopefully. Ive ordered front brake pads, rear shoes and some other, boring but essential things to install. Getting everything to a baseline before the "fun" stuff is bought and bolted on. Planning a 2 week trip to Canada through the North Maine Woods so Im planning must haves right now.

Viggen

Just here...
Update: A lot done since posting this. Got the fridge in the back and all the gear squared away, had IPOR fab up some stout sliders, installed PIAAs in the front along with a WiredWagon headlamp harness with RoundEye headlamps and a few basic things like an actual oil pressure gauge with numbers, new calipers, pads, shoes and cylinders along with rebuilding the injectors and a few other basic maintenance things.

Ive got a set of EMPI 30 spline front shafts (same as the Dirty30s and Marlin ones) that I got for a sweet price sitting on the garage floor awaiting install along with an IPOR high steer kit (sitting on their shop floor awaiting pick up) and a set of IPOR front seats on order (to replace the back and hip pain inducing stockers). I am taking 2 weeks to head out to my sisters cabin outside of Salida, Co so I am making sure the truck is good to go as the trip will be solo most of the time. After these things are on the truck, I am calling it done (for now).

Have been on a few trips but since Im usually flying solo, there is no photographic evidence of this. Did Uwharrie a couple of weeks ago but didnt do all of it. Power steering belt shredded on the way down and I could not find a replacement. I did suffer through a few trails but waved the white flag and retreated back to the camp site. Rocks and sharp turns with no power assist SUCKS! I ran through a couple of bushes and saplings simply because I could not get the wheels pointed in the right direction fast enough. Oh well. Luckily, did a ride with a few club members on Saturday and have some new photos, all of which are borrowed. So, here she is:
100_3540.jpg

100_3559.jpg

attachment.php

Impressions: Great. Love the truck that much more. It did everything, albeit nothing was terribly hard really, without any problems. Was in 1st gear, 4 high but was moving faster than the guys in the other Cruisers who were in 4 low. Switched to 1st gear, 4 low and then was going too damn slow (4.11 gears, H55 trans). Switched to 2nd and 4 low and found I was still just a little slow but that made for some gap between trucks which was great. Diesel impressions in low range, holy crap! Let off on the clutch and it required almost no gas. It instantly started pulling. I know that gassers have their advantages but there is no reason that a trail truck shouldnt have a diesel powerplant. I used almost no fuel the entire way. Amazing. Only drawback was in the noise department. The 3B is a rattler and on a narrow trail, the sound reverberates back at you so a set of ear plugs went in (common 3B driver equipment). Another mention are the tires. They impressed the hell out of me. They are Pro Comp (32x11.50) all terrains and they cleaned mud out very easily and quickly, gripped everything without any issues (I dont air down) and are wearing phenomenally well. Very impressed.

Viggen

Just here...
Update

Slight update (still have some things to install sitting in the garage) to the rig:
Tan IPOR/ Procar seats
Oil pressure gauge. ISSPRO marine series (much more visible in the day light and at night)

Attachments

• IMG-20110605-00131.jpg
    IMG-20110605-00131.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20110605-00133.jpg
    IMG-20110605-00133.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20110605-00132.jpg
    IMG-20110605-00132.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23

mainlander

Nice truck, I too have a Red BJ60 but mine's not rust free like yours.

That's going to be quite a trip from DC to Co....I'm sure those IPOR seats are going to be comfy.

If you're not planning on adding a turbo (strong suggestion that you do, it really makes an enormous difference) at least add a PYRO (EGT) gauge so you can see just how hot the exhaust gases are getting on hill climbs. 3rd gear at 2700+ RPM just to keep up to 60 km/hr can really make the EDT's rise.

Now after reading your entire thread, I noticed that no one told you anything about adding a turbo. Not only will it really increase the power of your truck, but tuned right it will lower the EGT (removing heat from within your engine is a very good thing) and it won't effect your fuel economy at all. Highly recommended :)

Anyway, looks like you're having great fun in your truck.

Cheers

Viggen

Just here...
I'm pretty active over on Mud so I know all about a good turbo setup. I have already started accumulating pieces for a T3 using the 13BT manifold. I already have the adapter to make it work. I just have run out of time to do an install and test it out before my trip. Not to mention that the money could be used elsewhere. The seats were a higher priority for me than the turbo. The turbo won't keep me from Colorado but those terribly worn out, back and hip pain inducing stock seats would have. I have an Auber EGT display going in this weekend so I can monitor the heat while making those passes out there.

Viggen

Just here...
Quick update- installed, finally, mt EGT set up. Its distracting as anything Ive ever done. Watching numbers is kind of addicting... Was able to install the probe and keep the factory heat shield intact.
IMG-20110629-00135.jpgIMG-20110629-00137.jpgIMG-20110629-00136.jpg

vwluv10338

Looking good. If I ever get my truck back on the road we should hit the trails.

I feel you about the seats. After 10 hours in mine it was terrible. I swapped 4Runner seats into my pickup and I think I will look for a set for the LC too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven