1100 miles later...Introducing Big Red

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Ill be taking it down to IPOR in a week or so to have them make up a set of sliders for her with tube kick outs so the trees will stay away...I mean so my GF can get in easier.

That's the ticket. You already have the "Safety Snorkel," too. More convenience and safety enhancements are on the build ticket for the future.

Kind of like my "Safety SAC."

xplore74

Man I saw that one on Ebay but wasn't able to go for it. Glad to see it got a good home. I do have lead though on another 60 that I should be able to get.

Viggen

Just here...
Very nice! Can you share any highway MPG tests yet? Would love to have that motor in my 40!

I will if I ever get to the point of having to fill up. :Wow1: Its a Canadian truck so everthing is in KMs but with a weeks worth of regular driving, I've done about 340 km to half a tank (stock size tank). I'm thinking I will have to fill up this weekend. Just to remind Shell that I still care about their profit margins.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
Well, I got 18 mpg in 100% city driving (stop lights and signs everywhere) where the drive was 6 to 8 miles one way. I filled up and the mileage on this tank is much worse and I am choking that up to bad fuel. The issue around here is that there arent very many diesels so the stations that do offer it have had it sitting in the underground tanks for a while and I can tell the difference. The last tank was done off of I-66 where the stations are constantly turning their diesel tanks over. In Old Town Alexandria, not so much. I need to search out a station that gets pretty decent diesel traffic. Straight highway though, I will be getting around 23 or 24 mpg, at weight, at 65 mph. Not too shabby.

Truck is at IPOR getting sliders fabbed up. The one downside to the Cruiser in comparison to the Disco is that with the Disco, everything is available bolt on. Im seeing that with the 60, some things need some fabbing. Cant wait to get her back. Ill post up some pictures in a day or so.

Plan:
1 pencil and 1 fog beam combo (separate switches) for front bumper
Upgraded headlamp harness with Hella replacements
33x10.50's
Hi steer kit
Storage system in the back for fridge and cases
Figure out some sort of upgraded output alternator (50 amps just wont cut it)
Maybe a roof rack, not too sure yet.

Thats about it.

silvElise

Adventurer
Truck is at IPOR getting sliders fabbed up. The one downside to the Cruiser in comparison to the Disco is that with the Disco, everything is available bolt on. Im seeing that with the 60, some things need some fabbing. Cant wait to get her back. Ill post up some pictures in a day or so.

Plan:
1 pencil and 1 fog beam combo (separate switches) for front bumper
Upgraded headlamp harness with Hella replacements
33x10.50's
Hi steer kit
Storage system in the back for fridge and cases
Figure out some sort of upgraded output alternator (50 amps just wont cut it)
Maybe a roof rack, not too sure yet.

Thats about it.

Can not wait to see the picture of the fabbed sliders :)

Viggen

Just here...
Can not wait to see the picture of the fabbed sliders :)

Me neither. Ill probably call in today to get an update.

Me neither. Cam went to Earl's Hardware this morning to pick up some more galvanized steel pipe and some threaded fittings from the plumbing section. :rolleyes:

Are you down there? I remember a buddy of mine in HS inherited a SIIa 88 and it had a roll bar in it. We thought, "awesome." Pulled the thickly padded cover off and it was threaded pipe, about 2" diameter, from the plumbing section of Home Depot. Promptly ripped that out.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nope. I'm eating lunch at my desk while I man my T/O weapon (Dell Inspiron). Just teasing... they would probably use sched-40 PVC on yours.

Did you pay homage to my Tacoma? Still waiting on the flippin' shocks from ICON that were supposed to be here 2 flippin' weeks ago. I'm annoyed; have a lot of loose ends to wrap up on the truck before OX11.

Viggen

Just here...
I love some PVC pipe sliders. You could tell exactly where I have been based on little strips of white plastic. Perfect.

I didnt get a chance to get into the shop and check anything out. I dropped it off about 30 minutes before they were closing up on Saturday. The guy, I think it was Nathan, really liked, my truck though. Im curious to see what they think so Ill probably be calling them today after school (work). I did spy a huge 4th generation 4 Runner with an SAS done to it through the window.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Saw your truck on the lift last night - looks mighty clean underneath. Hopefully it will be in the shop Friday with the sliders on and I can take a look at the rest of it, but it sure looked like some real straight body lines and nice paint. You chose wisely.

The glue on the schedule 40 pipe sliders was setting up nicely. ;)

Viggen

Just here...
Sorry but I picked it up yesterday. Took a look around your truck while I was down there. Very very nice. They've got some really nice rigs in there, that's for sure. Now, its time to do glow plugs.

So, funny story. Got searched by the Secret Service last night. Apparently the truck was suspicious (enter Taliban Toyota Hilux/ Cruiser joke here but if bin Laden drove a bright red Cruiser, I think we wouldve found him by now). Leaving Pentagon City Mall to head home. Rt. 1 was backed up but it really is the only choice. My girlfriend suggested we just take 395 North. I tell her that we cant do that since right there, it takes you directly onto the HOV center section and not the main section with all the exits. She didnt believe me and I have learned not to argue so we took it. Well, 645 pm in DC is a nightmare with all the no turns allowed, etc... so I was making my way over to the Memorial Bridge to hit GW Parkway. As Im making my way, the first place that I can turn is left to head towards the bridge is Pennsylvania Avenue so I take it. Then turn again and jump on Constitution and head towards the Lincoln Memorial and the bridge. Enter Secret Service officer. Light turns green, I start moving and get lit up like the 4th of July. I go ahead and cut across all lanes of traffic and onto a side street by the State Dept. He lets me sit for about 5 minutes, then comes up and asks if I knew why I was knicked (my words, not his). I am thinking that my crazy LED scrolling license plate frame is scrolling F#CK YOU (another story not of my doing) but I answer that I have no idea. He says I dont have a license plate (relieved that I didnt have to explain the insulting rear plate frame). I say, "Yes I do, its on the back of the truck." He has me step out of the truck and walk with him back to the rear of the truck and I point out the plate. Then he starts asking a bunch of other questions. He asks about the things on the truck. I explain that this is my daily driver and its being built as a camping and fishing truck. He hears camping and starts asking about weapons and whether I have anything in the truck. I answer honestly that there is a pocket knife and and larger one in the glove box (at this point, another Secret Service cop, bike this time, shows up to watch my girlfriend through the window). He doesnt ask to see them so we move on. He then asks me to open the rear. No problem, undo the latch and swing both ends open, and then drop/ raise the gates. He pokes around and then has me step back. After a satisfying search, he starts asking me if he ran my license, would anything come up? I say "no, I havent been pulled over in over a decade so I wish you the best of luck with his search (Im starting to get annoyed now)." He takes my license and then starts asking how long Ive been in Virginia. I say "Ive been here most of my life as my dad is a Colonel in the Army so this is where we ended up." He runs my info and then begins to tell me that nothing came up. Then I am allowed to close up the rear and then the inquisition began. I had to explain every thing on the truck and its purpose.
"This is the antenna for the CB and this is a spare tire and these are jerry cans."
"What are jerry cans?"
Here we go.... "They carry extra fuel."
"Like gasoline?"
"Yes, but in this case, diesel."
"So, youre carrying around fuel."
"No more than your car right now but these are empty."
"But you carry extra fuel?"
"Yes, but look, theyre empty (I tap them for echo)."
"Okay, please step back into your car and have a seat."
"Whatever you want, sir."

About 10 minutes later, he comes back up to the window, asks where we were heading so I tell him the exact route again. He tells me if I know how to get back onto Constitution and I point out exactly where I am now going to go. He nods and then tells me exactly what I just told him back to me. Then asks if I knew why I was pulled over. I said that it mustve not been my license plate and he points out that I drove by the White House (at which point I am a little bit annoyed and responded that Im a teacher and knew that that was the White House but thanks for pointing it out) and my truck was suspicious. 45 minutes of my life.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
LOL! You can't make that stuff up! Well, I hope your girlfriend apoligized -- it was clearly her fault.

It would have been a nice touch to light them up with your plate frame message board as you pulled away. It's really bright, too. Even with the lights off in the shop at night it lit the whole place up. I want one.

Inshallah...

MattScott

Approved Vendor
So, funny story. Got searched by the Secret Service last night. Apparently the truck was suspicious (enter Taliban Toyota Hilux/ Cruiser joke here but if bin Laden drove a bright red Cruiser, I think we wouldve found him by now). Leaving Pentagon City Mall to head home. Rt. 1 was backed up but it really is the only choice. My girlfriend suggested we just take 395 North. I tell her that we cant do that since right there, it takes you directly onto the HOV center section and not the main section with all the exits. She didnt believe me and I have learned not to argue so we took it. Well, 645 pm in DC is a nightmare with all the no turns allowed, etc... so I was making my way over to the Memorial Bridge to hit GW Parkway. As Im making my way, the first place that I can turn is left to head towards the bridge is Pennsylvania Avenue so I take it. Then turn again and jump on Constitution and head towards the Lincoln Memorial and the bridge. Enter Secret Service officer. Light turns green, I start moving and get lit up like the 4th of July. I go ahead and cut across all lanes of traffic and onto a side street by the State Dept. He lets me sit for about 5 minutes, then comes up and asks if I knew why I was knicked (my words, not his). I am thinking that my crazy LED scrolling license plate frame is scrolling F#CK YOU (another story not of my doing) but I answer that I have no idea. He says I dont have a license plate (relieved that I didnt have to explain the insulting rear plate frame). I say, "Yes I do, its on the back of the truck." He has me step out of the truck and walk with him back to the rear of the truck and I point out the plate. Then he starts asking a bunch of other questions. He asks about the things on the truck. I explain that this is my daily driver and its being built as a camping and fishing truck. He hears camping and starts asking about weapons and whether I have anything in the truck. I answer honestly that there is a pocket knife and and larger one in the glove box (at this point, another Secret Service cop, bike this time, shows up to watch my girlfriend through the window). He doesnt ask to see them so we move on. He then asks me to open the rear. No problem, undo the latch and swing both ends open, and then drop/ raise the gates. He pokes around and then has me step back. After a satisfying search, he starts asking me if he ran my license, would anything come up? I say "no, I havent been pulled over in over a decade so I wish you the best of luck with his search (Im starting to get annoyed now)." He takes my license and then starts asking how long Ive been in Virginia. I say "Ive been here most of my life as my dad is a Colonel in the Army so this is where we ended up." He runs my info and then begins to tell me that nothing came up. Then I am allowed to close up the rear and then the inquisition began. I had to explain every thing on the truck and its purpose.
"This is the antenna for the CB and this is a spare tire and these are jerry cans."
"What are jerry cans?"
Here we go.... "They carry extra fuel."
"Like gasoline?"
"Yes, but in this case, diesel."
"So, youre carrying around fuel."
"No more than your car right now but these are empty."
"But you carry extra fuel?"
"Yes, but look, theyre empty (I tap them for echo)."
"Okay, please step back into your car and have a seat."
"Whatever you want, sir."

About 10 minutes later, he comes back up to the window, asks where we were heading so I tell him the exact route again. He tells me if I know how to get back onto Constitution and I point out exactly where I am now going to go. He nods and then tells me exactly what I just told him back to me. Then asks if I knew why I was pulled over. I said that it mustve not been my license plate and he points out that I drove by the White House (at which point I am a little bit annoyed and responded that Im a teacher and knew that that was the White House but thanks for pointing it out) and my truck was suspicious. 45 minutes of my life.

Smell the freedom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven