17" Wheels - How I got them on my LR3

Mack73

Adventurer
That's a lot less work than I originally thought.

Yes. And when I get the new rear brakes installed, the worst part (grinding the calipers) should be removed. I'll list all the part numbers once I confirm the rear brakes work when the parts come in.

But in essence all that is needed is: Front & rear carriers, Front & rear rotors and pads. So if you already need to do a brake change the cost is ~250 for the carriers. Simply order the smaller rotors instead of the v8's

You probably wont find any 17's already in the US, I got lucky. You can get them in europe very easily - just have some high shipping costs. There are 3 sets on UK ebay right now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...m570.l1313&_nkw=discovery+3+17+wheel&_sacat=0

jhawk

Adventurer
I suppose the next question is are there 17's or maybe even 16's we have here that will work with the smaller brakes? When you get a chance please post up all the measurements of the wheels you can. I'd love to find out that they are the same for say a Freelander, p38, or d2.

Jim

Yes. And when I get the new rear brakes installed, the worst part (grinding the calipers) should be removed. I'll list all the part numbers once I confirm the rear brakes work when the parts come in.

But in essence all that is needed is: Front & rear carriers, Front & rear rotors and pads. So if you already need to do a brake change the cost is ~250 for the carriers. Simply order the smaller rotors instead of the v8's

You probably wont find any 17's already in the US, I got lucky. You can get them in europe very easily - just have some high shipping costs. There are 3 sets on UK ebay right now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...m570.l1313&_nkw=discovery+3+17+wheel&_sacat=0

Eniam17

Adventurer
Great write up. I'm glad you solved this problem that has been discussed at length. I don't think your wheels are offset too much at all with the spacers, I think it looks great.

er1c

You wrote "I'm not happy about running the spacers offroad." Why exactly is that? I'm running 30mm spaces front and rear on my LR3. Does this cause premature wear or?

Also, now that you've been driving it with the smaller brakes, have you noticed any decrease in stopping power yet?

Mack73

Adventurer
You wrote "I'm not happy about running the spacers offroad." Why exactly is that? I'm running 30mm spaces front and rear on my LR3. Does this cause premature wear or?

Also, now that you've been driving it with the smaller brakes, have you noticed any decrease in stopping power yet?

Personally I don't feel comfortable with the spacers off road. I don't like thinking about a chunk of aluminum holding my wheel on taking all the pounding. I'm sure they are perfectly fine and I didn't run into any trouble with them while offroading last saturday. But I just don't want to run them.

Yes technically there is increased wear on the wheel bearings, but it is probably almost nothing.

No I haven't felt any difference in breaking power/stopping distance from the smaller rotors. Calipers are the same so they feel the same to my foot.

Last edited:

achampagne

Explorer
Thanks for the write up, this should help a great many people and maybe be a sticky, since this topic always comes up.

Mack73

Adventurer
Finished the rear brakes today. Same story as the front. Different caliper carriers and rotors.

Here is the final parts list:

Front Caliper Carriers: SEH500012
Front Rotors: SDB000604
Front Pads: Same as v8
Front Wear Sensor: Same as v8

Rear Caliper Carriers: SXP500013
Rear Rotors: SDB000636
Rear Pads: Same as v8
Rear Wear Sensor: Same as v8

17" wheels: RRC002852MNH

This looks much better
photo1_zpsef9cbfc5.jpg

Here they are without the 30mm spacers
photo2_zps572019ef.jpg
photo3_zps3917a921.jpg

Subdued

Mack73,
Unless there is another silver LR3 with pizza cutter rims in the Puget Sound, I think I talked to your wife while fueling at the Kirkland Costco about a week ago.

Although not nearly as clean as in the previous pics the truck looked real good. Are you still happy with the smaller diameter rotor? Can you tell me more about the Cascade Rovers?

Mack73

Adventurer
Mack73,
Unless there is another silver LR3 with pizza cutter rims in the Puget Sound, I think I talked to your wife while fueling at the Kirkland Costco about a week ago.

Although not nearly as clean as in the previous pics the truck looked real good. Are you still happy with the smaller diameter rotor? Can you tell me more about the Cascade Rovers?

Why yes you did. She told me about it when she got home :)

Yes I don't think I've washed it in 6 months.... I need to get on that.

Yes very happy with the 17's and smaller brakes. I can't feel a difference in braking performance at all. However, if I were to do it again, I would go with a larger width than the 245's - they are a bit too narrow, the 265's were great. Also the KM2's are great offroad but I am giving up a lot of on-road performance. I'm thinking about those new BFG AT KO2's when I need a new set in a couple years.

I'm about to put the 19's back on though - with the baby due in a bit, we won't be going offroad for a while.

Cascade Rovers is a pretty lax group of guys. Plenty of LR3's so you'll fit right in. Since I'm going to be out of the game for the rest of the summer I'll put you in touch with another guy if your interested in getting some dirt on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven