1985 4RNR TRD'ed

OME makes a nice replacement spring. You can get them in zero lift or 1.5" lift and they only cost about $90 each. They also make them in different spring rates. Light, medium and HD

I just found them last year, or more accurately, decided to try them, and I really like them. High quality spring for cheap.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
An '85 would have leaf springs, right? Just trying to make sure I understand what you mean when you say spring. In any case, I'd second the OME recommendation. I have them on my Taco and am impressed.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Leaf springs are easy to replace. If you don't have the tools, I can't imagine your guy would charge you much after all you've just paid for.

scheefdog

Observer
I agree on the OME springs being great having installed them on my 1st gen and you can buy them locally at Toytec. Do you need to extend the bump stops as well to protect the new oil pan since it must be significantly lower than the old one?

austintaco

Explorer
I have heard good things about OME, and if Stoffregen is recommending then you know they must be good. However, are the OME's longer than stock? If so, that will require more welding and increase the price. Just a heads up. This swap is exactly what I would want for my 84, except I would be good with the 5 speed.

bkg

Explorer
Just in case Matt's endorsement isn't enough... OME springs are awesome.

Also... Consider looking into a Tacoma or 3rd Gen 4runner center console.... Should really finish out that interior.

Hey guys! Fancy meeting you here!!!

The OME springs are "direct replacement" springs so the length and pin offset are the same as stock. So no other mods will be necessary to install them, unless you want to do a u-bolt flip kit or longer shackles. One of my favorite upgrades is sleeve-ing (is that a word?) the bushings so that the bolts don't get overtight and squish the bushings out. You have to make bushing sleeves as no one sells them, and you also need to start with 1/2" or 9/16" bolt shackles.

austintaco

Explorer
Just in case Matt's endorsement isn't enough... OME springs are awesome.

Also... Consider looking into a Tacoma or 3rd Gen 4runner center console.... Should really finish out that interior.
Funny, I actually just logged on to say this after seeing one in my eBay saved searches. I would look for one from a Tacoma since the parking brake is in the same place. If you get a full console from an 01-04 Tacoma, you would gain 2 cupholders. If you search hard, and I have without luck, you can also find just the front shifter surround from an 01 4wd with a bench seat. It will bolt up to the existing center piece (or so I have read) but has two cupholders on the side:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271995.../apple-store/id282614216?pt=9247&mt=8&ct=uljs

austintaco

Explorer
.....and if you have not read Stoffregen's write up on cutting the front fenders/firewall, etc... Check it out and maybe think of minimal lift and doing some cutting. It's what I would do if and when I have time.

2scars

Adventurer
The newer console would still be cut up. My 04 Manual with J-shifter had the t case knob on the passenger side of the transmission lever. The auto trans version I have now is a push button a straight up and back transfer case lever throw. I say just get a boot on it and drive and see if something presents itself.

Awesome build, and the OME leaves would be the way to go, don't have to get all crazy with Hi-steer either.

bkg

Explorer
The newer console would still be cut up. My 04 Manual with J-shifter had the t case knob on the passenger side of the transmission lever. The auto trans version I have now is a push button a straight up and back transfer case lever throw. I say just get a boot on it and drive and see if something presents itself.

Awesome build, and the OME leaves would be the way to go, don't have to get all crazy with Hi-steer either.

Nit related to the auto. The push button was an option. My 04xcab has push button... My 04dcab has j-shift. All other options the same, except for the DRL's on the dcab.

OSV

Adventurer
Hey guys! Fancy meeting you here!!!

The OME springs are "direct replacement" springs so the length and pin offset are the same as stock. So no other mods will be necessary to install them, unless you want to do a u-bolt flip kit or longer shackles. One of my favorite upgrades is sleeve-ing (is that a word?) the bushings so that the bolts don't get overtight and squish the bushings out. You have to make bushing sleeves as no one sells them, and you also need to start with 1/2" or 9/16" bolt shackles.

something like this? http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/no-death-wobble-shackles.html

tighten the bolts down and it locks the shackle arms together, as one unit.

best thing i ever did in that area.

john doe

You'll love the extra power with that setup, I did something similar in my rock crawler a few years ago. I will echo the suggestion of both OME and the sleeve's for the spring bushings.

If you do desire some lift, you can run OME stock (85) rear springs in the front of your rig, and OME rear springs from a 90 pickup in the rear of your rig. These springs are longer and will require the fabrication of new mounts, but they will give you that low lift and decent flex for a low $. I recently did the same setup on a buddies rig and it works great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl