1990 k5 Help

RR1

Explorer
it all depends on what you are after. I like the look of the stock bumpers, and its nice that they come around the corners some. Most fabricated bumpers look like fabricated bumpers, its a bummer that common people can't afford to have a bumper pressed out of something like 1/4" material. I think that would look the best. One thought would be to have the factory bumper sandblasted to get rid of the chrome, then have the inside of the bumper reinforced where you can't see it, and finally have the bumper chromed to look stock. That would be trick! I have been wanting to do that for a number of years.

The same idea could be used front or rear.

In the front the GM solid axles are very lucky to have the room to mount a winch hidden mostly behind the front bumper. I love this look and I think it is very practical for most people. I don't think its worth adding 100+ pounds in bumper and grill guard to mount a winch. I can dig up some pics if you want.

Go against the grain...build something new and original! :)

I have welded up a hidden receiver behind the stock bumper which comes through the stock bumper, used a plasma cutter to make it nice and clean. Everything is hidden behind the license plate that is held on by magnets.

My recovery points are directly on the frame, below the bumper. Very clean looking, and no one knows I have winch. The bonus is being able to use the winch front or rear. Have no roof rack either, all tools and such are in the bed of the truck, hidden by a camper shell.

Try to keep the truck as stealth as possible, mainly because I like my vehicles "clean" looking and to thwart thieves.

longjohn

Observer
That is a nice looking blazer! I agree that is much to nice of a truck to go cutting on, of course it is your truck.......super find good luck on which ever way you go

sdjohn99

Decisions

Thanks for all of the advice and tips. Here's where I'm at so far:

Bumper/Winch/Recovery
1. I'm going to keep the stock bumpers and reinforce behind them.
2. Down the road, I'll mount the winch behind the front bumper and receiver behind the rear bumper as suggested by Metcalf and RR1.
3. Attach recover points to the frame out of sight.

Tires
I'm leaning towards the 255/85/16 if for nothing more than the fuel economy

Tanks
I'd like to get ideas from everyone on what route to go to install a bigger gas tank. Is there something that bolts on or is this a pretty in-depth fabrication deal?

matt s

Explorer
I have a full swing gate like what you showed in your ideas for rear bumper. Reconsider that, it sticks out really far when open. That is a lot of weight cantilevered out there on the joint as well. Consider a half gate or two half gates instead. That is the route I intend to go.

The pics of your blazer are not showing up for me. Too bad, every keeps saying how nice it is.

EDIT I was able to see it in the attached bumper photo. Very clean blazer.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm not going to argue that 255s will give slightly better mileage than 285s, but I will say that there are WAY more choices in 285. I don't think you would even gain 1 mpg by going 255. Don't get me wrong, I love both sizes, but if the one you want/need only comes in a 285...:sombrero:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
They (285) are about an inch wider, so they should offer a bit more floatation.
I have read reports in Aussie 4x4 mags where they say wider isn't always better in sand, but I think conventional wisdom says if two tires are the same diameter, the fatter one should float better. Tread pattern and air pressure are probably more important though. If it were me and I was putting them on say a Landcruiser, then 255s for sure. For the Blazer I would roll the 285s. They will just fit the truck better. Just my $0.02 worth...

sdjohn99

Get out and drive!

Got the K5 out on the trail this afternoon. Went up to Mt. Potosi and explored some trails to get out of the heat. Took in some of the Old Spanish Trail on the way back into town.
web.jpg

Mt. Potosi
web.jpg

Old Spanish Trail
web.jpg

More Old Spanish Trail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC