1991 Cummins Suburban

Spur

Adventurer
What I have read repeatedly is that load carrying capacity is built into the sidewall, not so much the tread. It is partly a function of sidewall height, but I've noticed that the explosion in rim OD doesn't seem to have affected this as much as I would have thought.

Interesting. I guess it's just a coincidence that the two LRE tires are wider.

I have heard great things about the toyos. My mechanic swears by them, but I'm not sure I want to pony up 375$ per tire times 5. Ouch.

1leg

Explorer
I see no problem with running a D, unless you plan to start towing "heavy" with it then E will be a must have.
Why run 37 and why MTs?

35s and ATs will give you better mpg, ATs will last longer. Plus they are cheaper. just my .02

Love the build BTW...

Spur

Adventurer
I see no problem with running a D, unless you plan to start towing "heavy" with it then E will be a must have.
Why run 37 and why MTs?

35s and ATs will give you better mpg, ATs will last longer. Plus they are cheaper. just my .02

Love the build BTW...

You're absolutely right Lance. I've gone back and forth on this. Originally the truck was being built for a trip to S. America. When that was the purpose, 35" ATs were the tire of choice, for all the reasons you listed, plus availability in foreign countries.

Now that trip is on hold, because I decided to spend my time and money backpacking in Asia. Since the purpose changed, I started thinking about 37" MTs for four reasons:

1. Hypothetically, they would match up with the NV4500, 4.10, 12v combo better than 35s.
2. Approach and departure angles - it's a big truck and every little bit helps.
3. Thinking about the type of smaller trips I'll be doing, I can envision the MT really helping.
4. I'm not above aesthetics and I've always loved the look of big tires and a small lift. And the 'burban can pull it off with very minimal fender cutting.

Still undecided, but I've got some time to figure it out.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would lean toward the Toyo tires on something this heavy. That being said I will be running the goodyear MT/R kevlar on my next project, I was very impressed on how they did in moab on my last trip. They got GREAT traction in everything from dry, wet, sand, mud, snow.

I'm still looking for the next set of tire for my dodge....leaning slightly toward the pitbull maddog radial if I can't find a set of the michelins. I do love my michelins, I wish there where not so dang hard to find! They are a great tire for these heavy trucks. I do have to say that they wear much faster than I thought they would. The pitbull radial is the only tire out there that is remotely close to the 325/85/16 michelins.

I think you will like the 37s with the 4.10 gearing.

blakeape

Adventurer
I picked up a set of 37x12.50R17 Goodyear MTR's (the old style) this winter for $200 a piece brand new. They are e-rated and I am very happy with them so far. They are on my 97 Dodge 2500 with 4.10's and a NV4500 5spd. They do not make this style anymore, but there are lots of them still around on craig's list and 4wd sites. I also think you'll like the 37's with the 4.10's. Sweet rig by the way. I had a set of 35 inch Toyo MT's before and was impressed by those also.

Spur

Adventurer
So, I drove the Suburban for the first time in 8 months. Amazing that it's been that long.

Below are some pictures that the shop took. I was too happy and giddy to take any pictures. The truck drives really well. The power is amazing. I have tons of passing power in 5th gear on the highway. I was cruising around town in fourth all day. That said, 1st gear is a complete granny gear. Even second isn't totally necessary when starting on level ground. I imagine I could cruise around town in 3rd all day long. This is with the 33's that are on it. I'm sure upping the tire size will change this considerably.

I also really feel the need for the improved governor spring. Power starts to die off at 2500 rpm. The engine is good for more than that. That's a mod that will improve driving experience a lot I think.

Still waiting on the custom shocks from King. They had to make some special for the truck at the factory. Hopefully they will show up by Monday and we can get 'em on.

Still, I got it up to 85 on the highway and it was solid as a rock, even with the el cheapo shocks that are on it. Can't wait to see what it will do off-road.

12V_Finale_002.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_005.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_006.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_007.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_010.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_013.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_014.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_017.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_020.sized.jpg

12V_Finale_023.sized.jpg

Railvan

Adventurer
That photo of the dashboard just made me homesick... Wish I still had mine just to mess with. Great simple rugged rigs.

Brian Rutherford

bftank

Explorer
what happened with the tailpipe? it looks like it's on backwards or something. glad you got it put together. patiently saving for mine.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
After riding in a few jeeps with the same interior appointments but with gas power, I'd HATE to ride in that thing. Do you wear ear muffs?

Nice truck though. I'd throw some peel n seel and carpet in that thing though.

Spur

Adventurer
After riding in a few jeeps with the same interior appointments but with gas power, I'd HATE to ride in that thing. Do you wear ear muffs?

Nice truck though. I'd throw some peel n seel and carpet in that thing though.

Drove around all day with the windows down. It actually doesn't seem that loud to me. I love the sound of it. The interior is getting sprayed with Line-X.

Spur

Adventurer
what happened with the tailpipe? it looks like it's on backwards or something. glad you got it put together. patiently saving for mine.

It's just the end of the exhaust. I haven't decided on whether I'll put a tip on it. I kinda like it the way it is.

RADAR12

Awesome rig , saving up parts for mine . What size are the gauges you are using ? They look like 2 5/8 . Thanks.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
ok, so we had a 89 2500 4x4 w/ d60 rear axle, that turned out to be kinda a junker. Was that just us?

It ended up as a non-start like a month after we bought it. sucked. Had no cash to take it to a mechanic, and simply couldn't find the issue. Probably just a fuel pump or something.

I love the idea of a robust diesel in one of these rigs, as the rest of the truck/drivetrain seems super-stout. (especially with the manual you put in)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3