1991 Cummins Suburban

1leg

Explorer
ok, so we had a 89 2500 4x4 w/ d60 rear axle, that turned out to be kinda a junker. Was that just us?

They came stock with GM 14bolt in the rear and Dana 44 or GM 10bolt front.

Currently my 89 is being a junker so it wasn't just you. Engine is smoking bad at start up and is losing power. Currently looking at installing a new replacement motor. $2000 with maybe a few upgrades to make a few more ponys. I would love to just install a Cummins now and be done with it. but it will have to wait. I cannot live with having it down for a month long engine swap.

BTW,

Glad you got it running, if you ever make it socal with that thing i need to see it in person.

Scott39

Adventurer
It's just the end of the exhaust. I haven't decided on whether I'll put a tip on it. I kinda like it the way it is.

VERY NICE Suburban, well done!!! I wish I had the time and money to put my 12valve in a Suburban, but I think it might be easier for me to make my 95' Dodge single cab in to a Suburban.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
VERY NICE Suburban, well done!!! I wish I had the time and money to put my 12valve in a Suburban, but I think it might be easier for me to make my 95' Dodge single cab in to a Suburban.
Strip the Dodge sheet metal off, make the frame have the correct 129.5" WB and add the mounts for this vintage Sub body. That would be my choice as you'd gain front coil springs and a stouter frame in the process.

Scott39

Adventurer
Strip the Dodge sheet metal off, make the frame have the correct 129.5" WB and add the mounts for this vintage Sub body. That would be my choice as you'd gain front coil springs and a stouter frame in the process.
I thought about going this route. My WB is a tad longer, I would just line up the rear wheel wells and it would look like I moved my front axle 6" forward. Plus I have the dana 80 rear, weak dana 60 front. Or I can just cut out my back wall and make it a walk through cause I ahve a topper on it.

Sorry for the hijack,:sombrero:

1leg

Explorer

This has crossed my mind many times. I would need more room, more skill and a more forgiving wifey..... :drool: :drool:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
They came stock with GM 14bolt in the rear and Dana 44 or GM 10bolt front.

Currently my 89 is being a junker so it wasn't just you. Engine is smoking bad at start up and is losing power. Currently looking at installing a new replacement motor. $2000 with maybe a few upgrades to make a few more ponys. I would love to just install a Cummins now and be done with it. but it will have to wait. I cannot live with having it down for a month long engine swap.

BTW,

Glad you got it running, if you ever make it socal with that thing i need to see it in person.

yeah, sorry, It did have a 14bolt. I was thinking wrong..haha!

Cody1771

Explorer
any updates on this beast? now that it has the power why not build it for 40's. cool build on overland canada

P1200694.JPG

http://overlandcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730

Spur

Adventurer
40s would fit without too much hassle, but I'm going to go milder. Money, mpgs, etc.

Tires and wheels will be the last thing I do. Still lots of work to do. I've been taking care of a few odds and ends like:

1. Death Wobble. It was bad. Turns out the king pins just needed some shims. All better now.
2. Inspection. Amazingly it passed inspection except for one thing. They wanted a high-beam indicator, so there is now a shiny new blue light on the switch panel.
3. Couple oil leaks on the turbo, installed better hose clamps on the intercooler hoses. The other ones kept bustin' loose.
4. Sealed the transfer case shifter boot after a water crossing caused muddy water to flood into the cab.
5. Installed latches on the rear swingouts so that it can be locked open.
6. Got the AC working! A must have in Texas during the summer.

Still a couple problems to fix:

1. It really needs a steering stabilizer. Looking at getting dual Bilsteins.
2. Besides the need for a stabilizer there are some strange gremlins in the steering. The steering wheel cocks to the right.
3. Gauges are dying on me right and left. The voltmeter and the pyro are non-functioning as of two days ago. The tach has displayed some weird fluttering. I had my mechanic look at the tach and he couldn't find anything wrong. Maybe there is a wiring problem. Or maybe I got a bad batch of autometer gauges. The latter seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Then there is the long to-do list for the interior. I figure October for it to be finally done? I'm taking it on a few smaller trips to test things out this summer. Going to my friends ranch this weekend and going to the coast in a couple weeks.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
I have had trouble with Autometer pyros before also, Make sure you have good grounds, I ground all my add on gauges strait to the battery and havn't had any trouble since.

Spur

Adventurer
Took the burb to a buddy's ranch yesterday to put it through some paces. It was the first opportunity to do any real off-road driving. I asked my buddy to take me to the toughest trails on his ranch. This is Central Texas, west of Llano, so there is a lot of hills, granite, loose rocks. It's been raining a lot here for the last couple weeks because of the hurricane, but there wasn't too much mud. My buddies jumped on quads and I chased them in the Suburban. I had no trouble keeping up with them, even when they opened the throttle. And there were places I could go that they couldn't. We had a blast and the Suburban performed flawlessly.

There was a road that my friend said hadn't been driven in a couple decades. It's steep, washed out, and covered in loose fist-sized granite rocks. They haven't been able to make it up it in their jeeps or the quads. I put the Suburban in low, locked the ARB and made it look easy. Lots of fun.

I did a fun little experiment. I put it into 4wlo, first gear, and dropped the clutch at the bottom of the hill. It climbed halfway up the hill without putting my foot on the gas before it stalled.

We took a lot of videos. I'll have to post them up on youtube when I have time. Here are a couple pics though.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh