1991 Cummins Suburban

Spur

Adventurer
It's been a while since I posted an update. Lots of small fixes and tweaking over the last few months.

2.5" King remote reservoir shocks
Bilstein steering stabilizer
New rag joint
tightened up the steering column and the power steering pump
Completely rebuilding the rear tire carrier with new spindles and locking pins
New tires and wheels 37" BFG AT with 17" Mickey Thompson Classic II

I love the way it cruises on the highway with the 37"s 75 mph is under 2000 rpm's which is a huge improvement. To me, the downside of having such a big tire is that it's a special order with limited availability. So, I bought an extra spare for a total of 6 tires and wheels. The second spare will go up top on the roof rack.

The leaf packs have REALLY broken in and gotten soft. Strange that they haven't sagged at all under the weight of the Cummins. I always planned on getting a custom leaf pack from National, but I was hoping these would last me a while. Once it is all kitted out, I'm going to get it weighed and have National build the custom leaf springs.

It's heading to the paint shop on Monday to get a new coat of white. When I get it back at the end of next week, I'll take a bunch of pics. For now here is a teaser of the test fit with the new tires and the chains I bought. Not much trimming needed on the fenders. Here is a link for the chains I got. 2 sets for front and rear. http://www.tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm Should get me through the snow this winter.

photo2.jpg

Last edited:

coreys88burban

Adventurer
this is a bad *** truck, thanks for all the info on here. im planning a cummins swap in my 88 as well. Great Job! did you ever post those videos?

faxon2002

Cross member

I have watched this from the start and I'm happy say that I will start my conversion in December. I'm curious if the High Cross member that ORD sells would allow you to use the high steer tie rod?

coreys88burban

Adventurer
thanks for the chain site! ill be ordering those chains soon; except the Heavy Duty link instead of the square ones. those are good prices. most places around here want double that.

Spur

Adventurer
thanks for the chain site! ill be ordering those chains soon; except the Heavy Duty link instead of the square ones. those are good prices. most places around here want double that.

Give em a call. Nice guy that answers the phone. He talked me into the Square link over the Heavy Duty or the V-Bar. It's the strongest chain they make. They're the kind of chains you can pass down to your grandkids.

Spur

Adventurer
I have watched this from the start and I'm happy say that I will start my conversion in December. I'm curious if the High Cross member that ORD sells would allow you to use the high steer tie rod?

That's what I bought, the complete High Cross Over Steering kit from ORD. It just wouldn't clear with the extra tall cummins and the engine crossmember.

Good luck with the swap. Post pics :)

WHERE2

cummins suburban- a great way to go!

Hello everyone. I to have taken the "cummins plunge". I am more than pleased at how the combo works together. I was also admiring the spring
tire chain tensioners. Do they rub the sidewalls much?

Spur

Adventurer
Hello everyone. I to have taken the "cummins plunge". I am more than pleased at how the combo works together. I was also admiring the spring
tire chain tensioners. Do they rub the sidewalls much?

Welcome! What kind of truck do you have? Post up a thread. I'd love to see what you're running.

In the pic, the tension hooks are facing in. I might face the hooks out in the future just to be safe, but I don't think they will do any damage. I haven't had a chance to use them yet though. I'm moving to Colorado at the end of the month and I'm sure I'll get an opportunity to test them this winter.

Keep in mind that the pic above is a test-fit. I didn't tighten them all the way.

Here are the installation instructions, including a video if you're interested.
http://www.tirechain.com/tire_chainmounting_instructions.htm

WHERE2

Hi, sorry for the delay there. I'm still figuring out this "computer thing".
I haven't been able to find a way to post pictures yet, but I will.(means actually READING the instructions on the camera).
Any how, I'm glad to see that there are more back-country bound freaks, such as
myself! I was beginning to think that "Rock Buggies" are all that people in this country
are into now. I love the full-size utility type vehicles{vans,suburbans,etc..}, but they
all seemed to be lacking in ability or mileage. So, like many others, I decided to build
mine from the pieces or idea of another. What I came up with (still under const.) is
a 1/2 of a 1991 suburban, custom camper box, cummins and 1 ton axles.

WHERE2

By the way, thanks for the tire chain info. I was looking at the adjusters and it seems
that a resourceful person might be able to make a nice set with the double springs for the old screen door close. I just love new ideas!

zukrider

Explorer
love your build.

what part of crawlorado you moving too? id love to see yer truck and introduce you to some good trails and great trail buddies.

Spur

Adventurer
I understand you were attempting to use the complete high steer kit but you also used Scott's engine crossmember. I think the engine crossmember from ORD might resolve the clearance issue.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/enginecrossmember.htm

Yeah, it's possible. Scott's crossmembers are designed to be fairly low profile, but the ORD one might have worked. The crossmember had to be modified from Scott anyway though. Whatever you get, plan on the possibility of having to change it to make it work.

Spur

Adventurer
love your build.

what part of crawlorado you moving too? id love to see yer truck and introduce you to some good trails and great trail buddies.

Thanks for the welcome. Crested Butte at the end of the month. I might do a little exploring this winter, but I'll be on the trails a lot come summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwralliance