1991 Cummins Suburban

bftank

Explorer
now all you need is a couple shelves and some book and you'll have yourself a nice little library:sombrero:

that turned out great!

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Not sure if you are going to do more sound deadening, but you may try looking into Rammat sound deadening. It's a little cheaper than the Dpro stuff. At least it used to be. It's been a few years since I last bought some. None of it's cheap though.

I usually do that to all my cars. Makes for such a quieter ride. My old mustang coupe had about 40lbs of deadening, foam, and whatever else I could stuff in every nook and cranny. My ex-cab yota had rammat in it. I swear the truck stayed cooler inside afterward.

jdinevens

Adventurer
this may be a bit in the future for you, but what are your plans for water. on the first page it says an 18gal tank w/ filter and pump. i'm just wondering what system you're going with/considering.

Spur

Adventurer
this may be a bit in the future for you, but what are your plans for water. on the first page it says an 18gal tank w/ filter and pump. i'm just wondering what system you're going with/considering.

Almost all of the parts have been purchased over the last few months. Shurflo pump and accumulator tank. Daulton filter. There will be a tap at the rear next to the fridge and I want to put a hatch on the outside for a filler and a detachable shower head. Tank is coming from Plastic-mart. I've decided against a gravity drain. I don't want to have anything outside of the vehicle.

I'll be doing some winter camping and I've been mulling over how to keep the water from turning into ice. I want to insulate everything. I'll probably also put some 12v heating pads in critical areas. We'll see. Maybe it will work.

No immediate plans for an exchanger. I don't mind cold showers in nice weather. I'll bring along a portable propane hot water heater for when it's chilly outside.

Worked on the truck for 8 hours today. Got the roof rack installed and a couple other little things. Time for sleep.

Last edited:

ratkin

Adventurer
Here are some photos I've been meaning to post. It's kind of a random collection of stuff, but some of them will hopefully help to answer some of the questions people have had recently.

Suburban121.jpg

Really like your rear bumper! I've got a '90 that I'm looking to put something like that on. I'm going to be in Austin for work next week. Mind if I stop by and check it out and maybe help you turn a wrench or two to help out?

- Richard

Spur

Adventurer
Really like your rear bumper! I've got a '90 that I'm looking to put something like that on. I'm going to be in Austin for work next week. Mind if I stop by and check it out and maybe help you turn a wrench or two to help out?

- Richard

Sure, if I'm in town. I'll PM you.

jdinevens

Adventurer
hey, quick question, how much space do you have from the rear doors to the back of the passenger seats, and then from the rear doors to the back of the drivers seat. i'm trying to decide if i'm going to go suburban or gut a m1008 with a cap. i found a v2500 4x4 but its literally on the other side of the country :( but i do like the idea of being able to hold more than 2 people

ratkin

Adventurer
Sure, if I'm in town. I'll PM you.

Spur - you're an awesome host and truck builder! Thanks again for the great discussion and tour of your truck.

We'll both have to work on helping to remind folks that we need to not just focus on trucks and wheelin' on this forum, but also have a mind on ecology, stewardship, history, and preservation. :Wow1:

Let me know if you ever need anything out in Colorado that I can help with!

- Richard

Spur

Adventurer
Spur - you're an awesome host and truck builder! Thanks again for the great discussion and tour of your truck.

We'll both have to work on helping to remind folks that we need to not just focus on trucks and wheelin' on this forum, but also have a mind on ecology, stewardship, history, and preservation. :Wow1:

Let me know if you ever need anything out in Colorado that I can help with!

- Richard

It was great meeting you Richard. I really enjoyed our conversation. If you need anything, let me know.

Spur

Adventurer
I was supposed to be moving to Colorado this weekend, but I've been sick for the last few days and it's slowed me down. I'm mostly ready to go, except the Suburban isn't ready. Grrr. I've been working on the interior and the vinyl is a complete failure. I'm so angry I'm thinking about just throwing the whole thing in the trash. I can't believe these companies can get away with selling such a shoddy product. It's warped all around anything that curves. There is no "custom-molded" anything about it. I've tried heat guns, spray adhesive, weights. Nothing makes this crap function any better.

I wish I would have just paid the money to line-x the interior. The sound deadening isn't worth the hassle of the vinyl. I don't know what I'm going to do now. I guess I'll just put up with the crappy vinyl for now and start looking for a good carpet kit. Carpet was the last thing I wanted but it seems like the only choice other than ripping out all the sound deadening and doing line-x.

Here are a couple pictures of the "humps". It's particularly bad and dangerous behind the pedals. It just won't lay down flat.

Burban004.jpg

Burban005.jpg

Burban003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal