1991 Cummins Suburban

leverett

Observer
if your winch is an m12000 heavy wieght its mounted wrong and it could tear the cradle off the frame and damage the winch it needs to be mounted feet forward no down i have the same winch and the po had it mounted like that and it twisted the mounting plate

Spur

Adventurer
if your winch is an m12000 heavy wieght its mounted wrong and it could tear the cradle off the frame and damage the winch it needs to be mounted feet forward no down i have the same winch and the po had it mounted like that and it twisted the mounting plate

You are indeed correct. We're fixing the cradle to allow for the correct orientation. Good eyes! Thanks for catching that!

Spur

Adventurer
Well, I'm currently in Varanasi, India right now. I'm backpacking across Asia for a few months. Just left Nepal and heading to China after India. The truck wasn't able to be finished before I left, but they're still working on it.

A few new pictures:

Sliders

jake3_009.jpg

Winch plates cut on the plasma table

jake3_010.jpg

Winch remounted correctly

jake3_011.jpg

Radiator, Intercooler and Intake installed

ak_wheels_010.jpg

To answer your question Metcalf, the alternator was custom made by an alternator shop in Tennessee. TN Diesel (the company that specializes in cummins conversions) had it made for me. It's based off a Kenworth 21si alternator which was rewound to make it put out 200 amps. A custom mounting bracket was made by Krawltex. I think it's going to work well and for only $175 it was a steal.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very cool.. I'm also so glad you found Scott at TN Diesel Scott is the man... I'm also really psyched 4BTswaps.com could also be an asset as well... Let me know if you ever need anything, I am *loving* the build as well... When I was 16 I got to trek through Nepal, it was a live changing experience... Enjoy the trip and stay safe!

best,
Andre

Spur

Adventurer
Small update...

I'm currently in Thailand. Relaxing on the beaches, drinking Singha, eating amazing food, trekking through the jungles, riding elephants, diving, fishing, sea kayaking. The list goes on and on. I love Thailand. A guesthouse costs about $10 a day and an amazing meal is around $2. I could spend a long time backpacking here.

While I'm making my way through Asia, work continues on the truck. Krawltex continues to impress me with the quality of the work they do. As much as I'm enjoying traveling, I can't wait to get home to see my truck. Here are a few pictures of the bumpers they are working on. Everything is getting powdercoated black. Up front, I have 4 Lightforce lights. 2 170 strikers for driving lights and 2 140 lances for fog lamps. I have a couple LED reverse lamps going into the rear bumper.

january_20_002.jpg

january_20_005.jpg

january_20_007.jpg

january_20_008.jpg

january_20_010.jpg

Last edited:

Spur

Adventurer
The burban was started up today for the first time since June '09 and she purred like a kitten. Major milestone. Most of the wiring is done. Most of the fab work is done. We're still looking at shock companies. FOA was a front runner, but they are totally in the weeds right now. Not sure what company to go with now.

Here are some updated pics on the rear bumper. A few things got reworked.

jakerearbump001.jpg

jakerearbump002.jpg

jakerearbump003.jpg

Spur

Adventurer
A very good recommendation, but a pricey one. What I really liked about FOA was the quality and the price. I was hoping to get all of the shocks for under $1000. Fox would blow that budget.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
How's that saying go? "The price is long forgotten..... " or something like that. :sombrero:

Could go with Bils, but I don't think it would save you much, and Fox's seem be more mellow over small bumps than do the Bils. Can get that in a Bils, but it means messing with the shim stacks.
What put FOA "in the weeds"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven