1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Azlugz

Adventurer
BB in front, up country front springs in the rear and 32" MTRs. Custom front, rear, top and sliders. Still working on paint.

DSC01202.jpg

THe Back (Passenger side rock rail was off in this pic for some repair)
DSC01215.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i think mine may already have upcountry springs on it. looking at others around town here, it looks taller then those.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Yeah, the 2" teraflex BB is the best lift out there for this jeep, so long as you are not looking for hard core rock crawling.

Also I would recommend getting a set of JKS disconnects. Super nice, Super easy to use, and wow that jeep will amaze you with the difference those things make!

Suer looking jeep, congrats! Wish I could find a nice deal like that for myself.

johnlogan

more inspiration for you. Here's how I used to roll back in the day....still miss this rig. !996 ZJ, 4.0L with 242 case, custom long arms with about 5 inches of lift, custom bumpers, custom rockers, 33x12.50 swampers.

Attachments

• DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0026.JPG
    DSCF0026.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 44

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
so today i changed the oil and filter. man the oil was horrible. there was tons of parafin in it. i think it was probably pennsoil or some other crappy oil.

I was at Walmart today to get oil. I found they were selling 1 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 10w30 oil for $21. I picked on up and a Mopar oil filter. i changed and oil and the engine almost sounds new.

last total was:

$716.19
+$21.00............Mobil 1 Oil
+$5.24..............Mopar oil filter
=$742.43

OKAY! who was the idiot of an engineer who decided to put the oil filter between the exhaust manifold and the upper control arm???? What an idiot. i've never seen anything that dumb in my life.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
My girl has a 93 ZJ with a 4.0 that we drive daily. Here are some problems we have run into:
1) electrical connecters. The clips that keep them together seem to break anytime I touch them.
2) insulation on the wires. Pretty much how it sounds. The insulation seem to be "shrinking". Not sure if its due to heat or age....but I tend to avoid puddles for safety.
3) CV boots. They get old and rip or they get hung up and rip or you look at them like they belong on a civic and not your jeep......and they rip just to spite you. Ok, not that bad, but you should keep an eye on 'em.
4) the T-case (249): From what Ive read the 249 has a viscous coupler that balances the torque between the front and rear axle. When it goes bad (seems to be pretty frequently) it eats the front tires and because its AWD the tires need to be the same size or damage will result. The good news is that swapping in a 242 is pretty easy.
5) Power Windows. I think the wires that run between the door and body are broken on mine, but I have yet to tear into it.
6) The voltage regulator. This was never a problem but when I was looking for the source of my electrical gremlins (see #1) I thought of the voltage regulator (My family has owned a number of Fords). Turns out its in the vehicle's PCM....and mine was about $180 to replace. Just a heads up.

However, even with all the problems mine has been having, it still starts up and gets us to work everyday. Hard to beat that.....

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
so far this thing is great.

i fixed the windows. my switch was full of dirt. i cleaned it with some electrical cleaner, now all the windows roll down just fine.

i thought my alternator was dying, but the gauge is not correct. i used my volt meter at the battery and i'm getting 14.3 volts at idle.

the air condtioning is my next thing to fix. i think the system is over charged, but i'm not to sure how to fix it yet. i'll do some more research on it.

the speakers will be upgraded soon. the stereo is the original infinity CD player system. the CD player works, but the FM part is not working. i'll probably just find an IPod ready deck anyway and replace the stock amp and stereo with stuff i already have.

i have just a few things to do still. i still haven't made a decision about a lift kit. i'm pretty set on just going to 31" tires. getting a roof rack, building a front bumper and adding a winch.

Does Old Man Emu make a lift kit for this vehicle?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
add two cans of AC recharge with sealer and oil.

damn the AC is cold! i love the 50 degree setting!!!!!

+$40
=$782.42

:elkgrin::victory:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Which transfer case does it have? If it is a NV249 look at it as an excuse to swap in a NV242. A transfer case swap for you should be an after supper diversion before the game comes on. :D

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
it has the 249 transfer case.

looks like a part-time case is in the works.

A bad axle u-joint or CV joint can cuase problems also.

If you have the CV style joints, you can replace them w/XJ u-joint style shafts.

Swapping the t-case is a good upgrade.

I gave my son a '93 ZJ I picked up cheap and fixed it a bit.

4.0, 249 and the D35 rear end, it has 248K on it and still going!

Treat them right, and they go for a long time!

HB

Amauri

Explorer
Does Old Man Emu make a lift kit for this vehicle?

They do but IMO it's not worth it, it's expensive. If you want a 2" lift just get a BB. Here is a kit from RE: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/SuspensionSystems/Product.aspx?part=RE8030 With the BB the ride will still be pretty close to stock if that doesn't matter to you and you want to go a bit higher this is a pretty popular lift http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-Z_3LK&Category_Code=PFZ

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven