1995 Montero SR Build

It's sexy and you know it.
270991_789789259451_152848578_n.jpg

We got it timed up this morning, then stood back and admired the artwork.

165998_789788845281_2114931084_n.jpg

As of this evening, she's ready to go into the truck.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Art work! Absolutely. But I heard it said once that cars can't be art....but true beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So for me and possibly you, the whole vehicle is an art form. Good job on that engine rebuild. Can't believe your little device to "tap" the injectors. That's the phase we use at the injection shop I just started at. I'll have to show that one to the boss.

Art work! Absolutely. But I heard it said once that cars can't be art....but true beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So for me and possibly you, the whole vehicle is an art form. Good job on that engine rebuild. Can't believe your little device to "tap" the injectors. That's the phase we use at the injection shop I just started at. I'll have to show that one to the boss.

Thanks.

the injector rig is very very simple. Two lengths of wire, positive wire goes from battery to injector while the negative side has the momentary switch. Switch is attached to a project box (bought at Radioshack) to connections would be hidden and make the project more pro looking. Like I said, it worked great!

Clem

Adventurer
Awesome

:clapsmile

Can't wait for you to get her buttoned up and tell us all how much more you love your Monty!

Clem

Last edited:
Oh and just an FYI... for all the nay sayers who though it was unnecessary to pull the motor... we are so glad we did.

Here are some of the issues that we found that could have potentially been trip enders.

1. Head Gasket
  2. Leaking coolant crossover pipes- several bad o-rings.
  3. Oil cap ring INSIDE the valve cover (layin between a couple of cams/ springs)
  4. Cracked water heater hoses
  5. Majority of bolts out of torque spec, very loose. All bolts were re-torqued back to FSM spec.
  6. And...??? I'm missing something...
317915_790002008101_1138847901_n.jpg

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Good work, looks like you will enjoy lots of worry free miles. Were your heater hoses accessible while the engine was mounted? Did you get a new radiator, water pump, thermostat? Did you get the heads ported and polished? I'm curious to see if there's a perceived performance improvement along with the reliability.

Yes! That was the major burden which prompted this exercise. I want to be able to trust the rig to go wherever my heart desires.
The heater hoses aren't easily accessible with the motor in the engine bay. You know, without hiring a 12 year old Japanese contortionist.

I am proud to admit, everything I bought with the exception of one item was manufactured in Japan. Some items even came stamped with Three Diamonds! ;) The truck had a new radiator from previous owner. We replaced the water pump with an Aisin pump, it even had a reflective polish on it, and I replaced the thermostat last year. The heads were cleaned, two valves were lapped and one was decked 1/1000th of an inch, just to even it out. Nothing was done to increase performance. Reliability via stock specifications was what I was after.

We did learn that something was wrong with the truck or motor before. As there was little wear in this motor, and very little build up. The previous owner's (an upper middle class business man) sensible son used this for a year or two for college, and had all maintenance records from the first owner and his ownership. Plus, I did a car-fax report prior to purchase which showed all maintenance performed at a mitsubishi dealer. The issue that we discovered was that the motor had been removed and or replaced at some point... and after thinking about it, typing out this message really, I think I figured it out. The timing belt was replaced at 72,000 miles and the truck was then sold before 76000 miles. I'm speculating here, but due to the timing belt service interval being 60,000 miles, I'm now thinking that the motor was rebuilt or replaced after the timing belt (speculatively thinking) broke at 72k.

Regardless, I do intend to enjoy another 60k of worry free miles. And if something does fail, this exercise has prepared me for being able to figure out the reparations.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If the dealership is still around, they may be willing to tell you what service was done during the timing belt change.:)

jsmarine

Adventurer
Nice work Scott, cant wait to see that engine back in the truck! Be sure to take a video of its first start up!

You should be proud of yourself. Do you think you learned enough to do the next one yourself?

The devil is in the details, as they say. My problem is that I'm most likely ADD (no I don't have an doctor's excuse) and would likely forget something, or tighten bolts out of sequence or perform some minute detail that would cause issues. That being said, I'm confident I could do the timing belt job by myself. Hopefully the next major vehicle work I'll be doing will be on an FJ40. But that looks to be a couple years away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chubbytaco