1995 Montero SR Build

Thanks Lee. I know your situation at the moment is sketchy for trips, but we're looking at doing Thanksgiving week in Big Bend, if you're interested we'd love to have you!

I'm hoping to pick up a second hand Safari Snorkel this week and will begin the process of painting the truck. I'll also be installing a set of hood louvers and maybe a hood scoop. I have access to several Magnahelic gauges to test air pressure and will give it a go to see where its most beneficial to install the louvers and if i would benefit with a hood scoop also.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
How much were the ARB HD springs you bought previously? I may be in line for a set in the not to distant future since I'm sure my stock springs will begin to sag at some point.

I don't remember the exact $ amount, but I think mine were less than $200. Give Jacque at TRDParts4u.com a call he'll hook you up with a fair price. Tell him I sent you. 866-233-4305

293879_795735937261_1729424572_n.jpg

I removed the plastic trim in preparation for paint. This will be the last pic you guys see for a little while.....:snorkel:

mrwizard

Adventurer
293879_795735937261_1729424572_n.jpg

I removed the plastic trim in preparation for paint. This will be the last pic you guys see for a little while.....:snorkel:

Man, that looks great without the lower trim and flares...very Disco-esque. Can you take a picture of the rear quarter panel with the flares removed? How many holes would have to be filled to leave the flares off?

I'm excited to see what color you pick.

mrwizard

Adventurer
Also, did your's have a factory rack on top that you took off for your basket or was it rackless? If so, what did you do to fill the holes on the roof? Thanks.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Man, that looks great without the lower trim and flares...very Disco-esque. Can you take a picture of the rear quarter panel with the flares removed? How many holes would have to be filled to leave the flares off?

I'm excited to see what color you pick.

If you don't want the flares, you can always just buy the stock or LS trim level. Only the SR comes with the fender flares.

Also, did your's have a factory rack on top that you took off for your basket or was it rackless? If so, what did you do to fill the holes on the roof? Thanks.

It had the rack. Filled the holes with RTV, lots of it. Be sure to spread it out passed the edges of the hole by about a 1/8-1/4"

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Rtv works but a 1/4-20 bolt is easier to remove should you decide to use them for something later on down the line. I used the plastic ones available from HD because they had the smallest heads. Yes those are 1/4-20 bolt holes. ;)

That's great and all, but I wasn't up and still not for dropping the head liner.... Plus, most of the capture nuts were pulled out with the roof rack... all frozen solid.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's great and all, but I wasn't up and still not for dropping the head liner.... Plus, most of the capture nuts were pulled out with the roof rack... all frozen solid.
Ouch. The captive nuts on my rig are still there. They also spun in place when i first tried to remove the rack but when I pushed down on the bolts as I turned them, the nuts stopped spinning. That was a trick that Grasscat taught me.

ninjlao

Yes! That was the major burden which prompted this exercise. I want to be able to trust the rig to go wherever my heart desires.
The heater hoses aren't easily accessible with the motor in the engine bay. You know, without hiring a 12 year old Japanese contortionist.

I am proud to admit, everything I bought with the exception of one item was manufactured in Japan. Some items even came stamped with Three Diamonds! ;) The truck had a new radiator from previous owner. We replaced the water pump with an Aisin pump, it even had a reflective polish on it, and I replaced the thermostat last year. The heads were cleaned, two valves were lapped and one was decked 1/1000th of an inch, just to even it out. Nothing was done to increase performance. Reliability via stock specifications was what I was after.

We did learn that something was wrong with the truck or motor before. As there was little wear in this motor, and very little build up. The previous owner's (an upper middle class business man) sensible son used this for a year or two for college, and had all maintenance records from the first owner and his ownership. Plus, I did a car-fax report prior to purchase which showed all maintenance performed at a mitsubishi dealer. The issue that we discovered was that the motor had been removed and or replaced at some point... and after thinking about it, typing out this message really, I think I figured it out. The timing belt was replaced at 72,000 miles and the truck was then sold before 76000 miles. I'm speculating here, but due to the timing belt service interval being 60,000 miles, I'm now thinking that the motor was rebuilt or replaced after the timing belt (speculatively thinking) broke at 72k.

Regardless, I do intend to enjoy another 60k of worry free miles. And if something does fail, this exercise has prepared me for being able to figure out the reparations.

I read through this entire thread, and noticed you said that you want to enjoy a worry free 60k miles after your rebuild. Is this really how long the motor is good for? It seems like you had some problems that could have been potentially dangerous if you did not do the full rebuild. I am really looking into this vehicle but then Im really afraid of reliability issues.... I have read reviews on this board and several other webpages that the 1995 Montero SR is pretty much indestructible. But at the same time I have talked to mechanics in my area, and they have told me to stay away from Mitsubishi. And one mechanic told me about the problems specific to the Montero, ranging from burning oil, noisy hydrolic lifters, and a badly designed coolant routing system to the motor in general.

Any input is appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven