1995 Montero SR Build

Tim.plante

Observer
Still Mitsu red shes just a lil dirty...only part that got cleaned since i put her in the shop was the hood where i painted...

Tim.plante

Observer
Cool. I'm debating on doing 'blackout' like that... but it may clash with the rest of the truck...

I wasn't sure at first but that heat mark on the hood had to go so i went on with it. Im still worried about the fact that black absorbs sunlight and therefore heat, but ill probably put a good wax on it to help protect it from that...but done in a night and a half and looks pretty good.

I wasn't sure at first but that heat mark on the hood had to go so i went on with it. Im still worried about the fact that black absorbs sunlight and therefore heat, but ill probably put a good wax on it to help protect it from that...but done in a night and a half and looks pretty good.

Start a thread about your truck man! We want to see it! Be sure to post good pictures!

Tim.plante

Observer
Start a thread about your truck man! We want to see it! Be sure to post good pictures!

Will do...still have stuff packed up from when we moved in early June and i think the camera is still packed up so for now i only have my iphone...planing on getting my head gasket put back on this weekend and get it all put back together

Is there no auto cutoff for the lights in the montero? Ie. after 15 minutes- an hour? Drained the battery when I left the doors open when I painted the door seals... whoops...

But more importantly, I'll need to remember this problem if out in the bush...

Dual, isolated batteries might be a good option.

I will, at some point, add a dual battery system. Unfortunately, real estate is limited under the hood, and I haven't figured out any definitive options yet. Well, I guess I have three options which I am considering. One is modifying the stock battery tray, and running two smaller batteries side by side. There is a tiny spot near firewall on passenger side, it'd require some more custom fab work and rearranging some components. Option three is a battery inside the rig... which I don't really like.

This is really one area where Monteros are limited, I think, the real estate under the hood.

In the next couple of months I'll be working on a small sliding drawer and cargo divider in the rear of the vehicle. I'll need the drawer to carry the recovery gear and tools that already live in the truck. Keeping the size down will hopefully advocate a less is more attitude in the space available in the rear cargo area. I'll eventually add a fridge when funds allow, which will consume too much valuable space.

The cargo divider is, in my opinion a very necessary tool to protect my most precious possessions in the back seat.... The cargo area, drawers, and divider will look similar to this.
P6132292b.jpg

But.... I anticipate the drawers to be 1/2 to 2/3 smaller than the one in this pic. The barrier will be functionally the same and will go to just below the top of the back seat.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
I will, at some point, add a dual battery system. Unfortunately, real estate is limited under the hood, and I haven't figured out any definitive options yet. Well, I guess I have three options which I am considering. One is modifying the stock battery tray, and running two smaller batteries side by side. There is a tiny spot near firewall on passenger side, it'd require some more custom fab work and rearranging some components. Option three is a battery inside the rig... which I don't really like.

This is really one area where Monteros are limited, I think, the real estate under the hood.

Another option is the frame rails. I have a battery mounted on my drivers-side slider. I also don't like the idea of batteries venting in the interior.

I'm not sure the frame rail area will be an option for me to consider. Limited space there also plus I'd be afraid of damaging it.

Regarding the barrier, I'm taking design cues from that one too. Thankfully the Montero has a bolting location on the lower walls (as seen in the pic I posted earlier.) I'll likely add the triangles like Speski did, top and bottom, to give added rigidity and strength. My girls are indeed my most precious cargo after all.

Monterorider

Adventurer
Just a word of caution. Don't put recovery gear into drawer behind cargo barrier. Speaking from personal experience. I once slid of the trail with back door practically jammed against a tree with no way to open it. I've had enclosed storage compartment without drawers so I was able to remove back cover after folding rear seat and access my straps, tree protector etc. Other time I was stuck in mud hole up to middle of spare on rear door. Seals held surprisingly well. I would hate to open rear door being there though. Oh an on couple other occassions rear door latch failed preventing door from being opened. That wasn't a recovery situation but could be just as well.

I always carry recovery gear easily accessible winch remote/shackles/snatch block in compartment under rear seat, straps and tree protector elsewhere easily accessible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven