1995 Montero SR Build

I've been there too... actually. But won't have many other options with two kids in the back seat... The hatches under the back seat are limited. But, I am a jack of all trades and might be able to use my ingenuity to figure something out. Like an emergency hatch in the top of the drawers. May require taking the kids out plus all the gear in the back, but if the situation calls for it.....

Find a problem, explore solutions and opportunities for improvement. Or as they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've been there too... actually. But won't have many other options with two kids in the back seat... The hatches under the back seat are limited. But, I am a jack of all trades and might be able to use my ingenuity to figure something out. Like an emergency hatch in the top of the drawers. May require taking the kids out plus all the gear in the back, but if the situation calls for it.....

Find a problem, explore solutions and opportunities for improvement. Or as they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Put your snatch strap on the roof. Snatchblock, D-ring shackles, & winch control in the cubby hole under the middle row seats. Or you can take the drawer out of the bottom of the passenger seat and put it all under there.:)

Yeah, I'll figure it out. 99% of the time I wont need the gear, so I'm looking at it from that perspective. If I go on a trail that may require a tug or winch, sure it makes sense to have the necessary items at the ready. In the mean time, it can go safely in the drawer in the back...

Clem

Adventurer
LaOutbackTrail,

I'm on the hunt for some new tires (or new to me) tires and was wondering how your duratracs are wearing? They are 33x12.5 on the stock rim correct? Have you developed any odd wear patterns from running 12.5" wide tires on a 7" rim? How many miles have you put on them?

Thanks for your time,

Clem

I bought the truck with 117k. I'll be rolling over 123k shortly. I bought the tires used a week or two after I bought the truck... with about 3000 miles on them, they now have ~9000 miles on them.

Nothing unusual is noticeable yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the center wears faster. I'll probably go with a 285 75 16 tire on 16inch wheels the next go around, but will probably stay with the Duratracs.

Long story short, I haven't driven enough miles to give a definitive answer.

motoz

Adventurer
Great thread mate. The 'Monty' is a popular vehicle over here in Oz. There badged Pajero though.

Will follow your build with interest.

Great thread mate. The 'Monty' is a popular vehicle over here in Oz.
Will follow your build with interest.
Thanks!

There badged Pajero though.

Comming soon to a Montero near you....
208922_801435610071_920953789_n.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Sounds like it has a seized bottom end, the starter can't quite turn the motor over but it does rotate a bit. It may be salvageable. Will yank it and check for heating and decide if it is indeed useable. But, I sure as crap won't be doing anything till the weather cools off. Too many days in the +106* garage working on the Montero. No worries, not planning to replace or sell the Montero. But my wife, daughter, and I loved our previous FJ62 and were reluctant to sell it. But being unemployed and needing a more reliable vehicle, we didn't have much of an option.

This go around I'm hoping my daughters can drive the cruiser to school... in 10 and 16 years. :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Wow!! Sorry to hear about the engine problems. I sure hope it's salvageable.

It's not exactly common to hear this problem. I've had my fair share of abused engines but nothing like that. I'm sure if you get her back in working order, she'll last a long time to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven