1995 Montero SR Build

Welcome to expo!

Let me break it down for you
I read through this entire thread, and noticed you said that you want to enjoy a worry free 60k miles after your rebuild. Is this really how long the motor is good for? It seems like you had some problems that could have been potentially dangerous if you did not do the full rebuild.
The 60k miles is the timing belt service interval. The truck should be good, barring any unforeseen problems, upon reassembly everything was in good shape. The potential problems were likely due to a shoddy half-assed fixin of something. What happened? I don't know. Our best guess is that the timing belt broke at 70-80k and a used engine was just stuck in there. Stuff was shoddily done. Motor is good now.

I am really looking into this vehicle but then Im really afraid of reliability issues.... I have read reviews on this board and several other webpages that the 1995 Montero SR is pretty much indestructible. But at the same time I have talked to mechanics in my area, and they have told me to stay away from Mitsubishi. And one mechanic told me about the problems specific to the Montero, ranging from burning oil, noisy hydrolic lifters, and a badly designed coolant routing system to the motor in general.

Any input is appreciated!
Monteros are good trucks. Japanese quality. They have issues just like every other vehicle ever made. Fix the issues, or find one without, and you'll have a good truck. Remember I paid a measley $1500 for a truck I knew had issue.

GrassCat

Adventurer
But at the same time I have talked to mechanics in my area, and they have told me to stay away from Mitsubishi. And one mechanic told me about the problems specific to the Montero, ranging from burning oil, noisy hydrolic lifters, and a badly designed coolant routing system to the motor in general.

What a bunch of crap. You can find a problem with any vehicle out there and the Montero is no different. When a mechanic starts talking this kind of **********, I start to question his knowledge or the lack of.

Read this post if you have not and make up you own mine. It talks about the good and the bad of this truck. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/80850-Good-Aussie-article-on-the-Pajeros-Monteros

ninjlao

Thanks for all your help. Im very excited to get this truck. I have always been a sport compact guy and I figured it would be nice to be able to tow around a few of my track cars. At the same time I obviously want to go on offroad expeditions. The montero seems like the best to suit my needs.

And it is not that my mechanic is talking **********, if a vehicle has hydrolic lifters it only makes sense for them to eventually go out, also any car can burn oil, I was just seeing how prone it is, and I figured this is the best place to ask.

I just want to make sure that if properly maintained the truck will last forever.

Once again thanks!

red87

Adventurer
You may not be aware but the montero is the winningest model at the Dakar Rally. You don't win that kind of race 14 times (?) without being reliable. This was when the vehicles were much closer to stock than they are now too.

ninjlao

Actually I was very curious about this. Is there any writeup or anything on what modifications were made to the Monteros that were in the Dakar Rally? I am especially interested in any of the suspension modifications and specs done.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You may not be aware but the montero is the winningest model at the Dakar Rally. You don't win that kind of race 14 times (?) without being reliable. This was when the vehicles were much closer to stock than they are now too.

12 wins total including 7 which were consecutive victories (85-92-93-97-98-01-02-03-04-05-06-07). Many of those wins were with the standard Pajero/Montero chassis and some with the racing Lancer body. Unfortunately with the bad economic situation Mitsubishi cut all their racing budget in 2009 and did not have any further factory sponsorships.

Yes, I keep that kind of info in my memory banks... (thank you wikipedia and google) LOL

Actually I was very curious about this. Is there any writeup or anything on what modifications were made to the Monteros that were in the Dakar Rally? I am especially interested in any of the suspension modifications and specs done.

Haven't seen much on that. Tried searching but without too much luck as you could imagine since the racing world is extremely competitive and they probably wouldn't share too much info like that in the public.

Yeah, and cost prohibitive. Unless you're planning on racing a Montero will full safety systems, performance tuned motor and the like, you might as well write it off as being unobtainium. They were factory sponsored trucks with a pretty hefty budget. And like Red said, they were the winners back when they were close to stock! I for one am a big fan of a vehicle that is capable of competing in such a grueling race, in close to stock format.

Who care's about Robby Gordon's 1300hp hummer POS. Brute force and ignorance is not the way I play the game..... but I've also never been a fan of chess.

Does any of that make any sense... I feel like I went incoherent for a minute there...

red87

Adventurer
Actually I was very curious about this. Is there any writeup or anything on what
modifications were made to the Monteros that were in the Dakar Rally? I am especially interested in any of the suspension modifications and specs done.

You and me both :)

314823_800770088781_155070642_n.jpg

Long, hot day today! But, the first couple of coats are on. Will need to do some sanding tomorrow and give it another go.

576135_800780188541_1670086140_n.jpg

Here is a glossy B&W sneak peak for you guys!

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Isn't there a maximum temperature requirement for most paints? Seems like somewhere around 90*? What type of paint setup do you have? HVLP? What paint are you using? What process are you using? Primer, color, clear, wet sanding, etc.? Have any idea what you're gong to spend? Hoping you have great results!

I'm actually using rattle cans... [crowd gasps!]. Used Rustoleum automotive primer followed by rustoleum. I'll then use Rustoleum automotive clear. Sanding (wet) in between coats. First two coats are down and will be doing a light sand here momentarily. I still have the passenger side door jambs to spray as well as the rear hatch. Total cost so far is under 200. If I went with automotive paint, primer, base color, and clear plus all of the other chemicals, i would have spent closer to $400.... Not happening!

Unfortunately, the sanding experience left something to be desired... I got impatient and used a 7" disc and went to town. Burned down into the metal and have gouges all over the place. Tried fixing with heavy primer and sanding... still visible. Then tried bondo.... too hot for bondo. So I said fk it and will live with a 20footer paint job. That's what most photos of rigs are anyways. Besides, I'm sure I'll remove half the paint on my first trip to Arkansas or Big Bend.

scrubber3

Not really here
Nothing wrong with that man. You're building a specific type of rig. No need throwing paint on it that you will worry about when the tree limbs come a calling.

Nothing wrong with that man. You're building a specific type of rig. No need throwing paint on it that you will worry about when the tree limbs come a calling.

Exactly. I'm doing it right, but on the cheap. If it falls off within a couple years (doubt it) then I'll just spend the 4 + days and do it again!

Tim.plante

Observer
just finished my hood with Rustoleum...still need to put a clear coat on it...debating if i want to wax it to help protect it from the sun...still a nice in between project for when i dont feel like getting covered in engine gunk before dinner

12 - 1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven