1995 Montero SR Build

xped

Adventurer
I just found your thread, sorry I couldn't of given you this info sooner. You need to replace your crankshaft bolt that holds the front pulley on. There is an updated one from Mitsubishi. Mine broke on my SR and was a major PITA. While you have the pulley off replace the roll pin with a solid dowel pin. I'm not sure which brakes first but I assume the pin brakes which allows the pulley to freewheel which backs out the bolt some which ruins the threads on the crankshaft. Otherwise looks great, can't believe how good the rattlecan paint job looks.

t4rman

Adventurer
I saw a nice looking Monty pulled over helping some poor soul change a flat tire the other day. :bigok: good to see it out and about.

That poor soul was no poor soul at all. A co-worker (up the chain of command) and a major pain in the toosh. Thankfully, I'm just a nice guy and would have helped anyone in the situation! Why didn't you stop?

Yeah, we've known of each other's existence for over a year now but haven't made the opportunity to meet up yet. Dillon, I'll be working on the Monty this weekend mounting that ARB bumper before heading to Arkansas, if you'd like to stop by for a beer and to tell me how I'm doing it rong.

Finally mounted the ARB bumper...
541178_829404415361_474661516_n.jpg

Did most of my preps this weekend for our trip this week. Fluid checks, bolt tightening, etc. Started packing spares, kitchen kit, and food. Should be a fun shake down run in the Ozarks.

I still need to cut out a skid plate to guard the front diff...

Shake down run completed. Truck performed honorably without a hiccup.

It rained practically the entire time... we'll be investing in a proper tent soon... but it made for beautiful contrast in the leaves and atmosphere. We had a few water crossings, several tight and technical trails, plenty of mud.
602319_832192463091_991685156_n.jpg

483036_832155512141_1028582778_n.jpg

576865_832164204721_1432851907_n.jpg

250456_832164439251_1259220637_n.jpg

10545_832188466101_1340283340_n.jpg

Take a peak at the rest of the pics, if you wish, HERE.

Thanks Euro. Arkansas is absolutely beautiful, I'm hoping to get a travel article published in a magazine soon, which was one reason we went on this trip.

The truck performed well. Our packing situation absolutely sucked. We bought a used ARB fridge on our way home and I've been planning the next steps of the build. Next will be a drawer system and cargo barrier. Recovery gear and tools in one drawer and kitchen gear and dry food in the other. On top of the drawers will be the fridge. I'm looking into fabricating my own "load spotter" style slide out for the fridge. Then, we still have clothing for 4 people and a variety of other camping gear to contend with. Any suggestions on that?

No sir. We're going to go with an RV5 Oztent. It makes the most sense: durability, versatility, weather resistance, etc. On this trip, our oldest daughter slept on the back seat and she was very comfortable with that, infact 100% oblivious to the storm raging outside.... until we crashed her snoozing when we jumped in after our tent collapsed and flooded.........

Edit: the downside to kid sleeping on back seat is that we must crack a couple windows with two kids, the car seats go to the front seats...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've also found that quality tents (NorthFace, etc.) can be bought that will handle the elements and is still fairly compact. The heavier the material you choose though, the thicker/more space it consumes rolled up.

For me, my $150-200 Northface 3 person 3 season tent has lasted me over a decade of regular use (2-3 & sometimes 4x per yr) without issues. Of course, I am careful & take good care of it and don't have kids who can wreak havoc on pretty much anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven