1995 Montero SR Build

off-roader

Expedition Leader
...Our packing situation absolutely sucked. We bought a used ARB fridge on our way home and I've been planning the next steps of the build. Next will be a drawer system and cargo barrier. Recovery gear and tools in one drawer and kitchen gear and dry food in the other. On top of the drawers will be the fridge. I'm looking into fabricating my own "load spotter" style slide out for the fridge. Then, we still have clothing for 4 people and a variety of other camping gear to contend with. Any suggestions on that?

I only pack for 2 and for me it's pretty minimal. I bring mostly shorts, shirts, socks & a couple of pairs of pants for when it gets too cold for shorts. It fits in a typical duffel bag (30x12) with room to spare so I can usually squish it into whatever space I have available and if not, into the 2nd row seats.

Otherwise, it's whoever comes with me's stuff (gf or other at the time of the trip) and my typical 4x4/trip gear. I can usually fit all my cooking/camp gear underneath my platform in rubbermaid bins and I keep light stuff (sleeping bag & mattress) up top and also have my ARB 50L strapped/mounted to the platform. Sometimes (depending on who's with me) stuff is also in the 2nd row seats but usually that's empty with the exception of snack foods.

HTH.

No doubt. I've got eureka backpacking tents that I've had for ages. But, there are other considerations to account for. For me one of the best things about the OzTent is the quick set up time. Their video shows the demonstrator removing the tent from the roof and having it set up in 50 seconds and he was by no means rushing the job... Even my with my simple 3 man coleman, I'm still getting the tent spread out in that time.

So, my logic is a 30-60 second tent that is way more versatile than any other tent. We can use as shade/shelter from rain during lunch or rest stops, baby's nap/feedings, changing clothes, and sleeping. And we can leave it set up at camp, unlike an RTT, and use the vehicle to explore. Normal backpacking tents and ground tents take 5-20 minutes to set up, even my 1 man Eureka tent sets up in about 3 minutes with a two pole design. My biggest gripe is that this is a huge chunk of change. But it's an investment and should last a couple of decades with proper care. Second biggest gripe is the stored length at nearly 6.5ft long. But, I've measured and it will fit diagonally across the roof rack and should be protected (for the most part) from low hanging trail branches. Not to mention there are a variety of accessories available to expand the tent and connect others, thus making it that much more versatile.

It's a tough decision, but I think of it as an investment. I'm hoping to borrow the RV5 from a friend so we can try it for over a week in Big Bend before we commit to the $1100+ for the OzTent.

GrassCat

Adventurer
Our packing situation absolutely sucked.

That's why little off road trailer are great. Heck CAP510 even puts his RTT on his. No more junk left in the truck when you go exploring.

Make your own and be done with it.

soonenough

Explorer
602319_832192463091_991685156_n.jpg
Awesome pic! The truck looks great, I can't believe that's a rattle can paint job.

You wouldn't happen to have any details of exactly what trail(s) you were on?

That's why little off road trailer are great. Heck CAP510 even puts his RTT on his. No more junk left in the truck when you go exploring.

Make your own and be done with it.

I'm battling that decision too. Trailer Cons= ability to carry more junk, more drag on the truck (fuel and performance suffers), difficulty finding parking spots in most places, trail navigation, extra responsibility (potential for 2 more flat tires- although glass half full says 2-3 extra spares in emergency). Pros= keep camping kit ready to go, extra capacity, extra fuel range with spare gas, versatility.

I've neither approved or nixxed the idea of a trailer....

GrassCat

Adventurer
I'm talking about a trailer that has a four foot square box and a tongue that's long enough to clear your back door. Yes you could put the same size rim on it as your truck and only carry one spare, but I think that's overkill. I'd Run 13" or 14" trailer tire for what your doing.

I'm planning to get a small pop up tent trailer and make it for expedition adventures. I planning to run 13" or 14" trailer tires.

Awesome pic! The truck looks great, I can't believe that's a rattle can paint job.

You wouldn't happen to have any details of exactly what trail(s) you were on?

Hopefully you'll see an article in the OJ soon. Arkansas is a great destination for Overlanders. We were at 20psi for almost 220 miles! Only used short stints of (beautiful) hwy to connect sections of trails. More to come on that later.

I'm talking about a trailer that has a four foot square box and a tongue that's long enough to clear your back door. Yes you could put the same size rim on it as your truck and only carry one spare, but I think that's overkill. I'd Run 13" or 14" trailer tire for what your doing.

I'm planning to get a small pop up tent trailer and make it for expedition adventures. I planning to run 13" or 14" trailer tires.

Those would get shredded in Big Bend and Arkansas...... Unfortunately/fortunately, most of our camping is done at a different location each night.

t4rman

Adventurer
That poor soul was no poor soul at all. A co-worker (up the chain of command) and a major pain in the toosh. Thankfully, I'm just a nice guy and would have helped anyone in the situation! Why didn't you stop?

I thought there was an accident when I first saw your truck halfway on the curb! :) I was in a car that couldn't make it over the curb (the 4runner is in the garage for the mean time) and thought that an extra car and person walking around would do more harm than good given the situation. Not to mention I (and I am assuming you) had to get to work and when we eventually do meet up I would rather have some time to chat and check out each other's rig.

Yeah, we've known of each other's existence for over a year now but haven't made the opportunity to meet up yet. Dillon, I'll be working on the Monty this weekend mounting that ARB bumper before heading to Arkansas, if you'd like to stop by for a beer and to tell me how I'm doing it rong.

This is true! Not only do we live in the same town, but we work within 2miles of each other. Thanks for the invite, I just now checked the forum and am bummed I missed the chance to learn a few things.

Lastly, those trip photos are great. It looks like you had a blast. I have yet to venture to Arkansas. Maybe we could get coffee this week and I can pick your brain on good spots to go.

I forgot to mention, we averaged 17hwy on this trip. Fully loaded with gear on roof too... best and lowest being 15/18. We got ~12 offroad at 20psi. Most of the time I was in 2wd or 4wd high, but locked into 4low and dif lock on multiple occasions.

grandpa

Have you corrected your speedometer gear for the taller tires? If so, what gear did you use? I need to correct mine for my new tires. Thanks.

I just do calculations... I multiply the trip meter by .17 then add that back to the total mileage then divide by the fuel consumed. This is just a ball park figure, I always round down to the nearest whole or half. I use it more or less to realize any issues and to plan for fuel range and such. As long as I'm consistent it'll work for me.

I'm going to begin working on a cargo barrier tomorrow... very similar to this one...
P6132292b.jpg

2110945_G.jpg

I'm still debating on building a platform in the back too....Can't make up my mind. I need a means for fastening a drawer slide for the fridge too... I may make a short platform, just tall enough to fit our folding table under. I definitely won't be doing such a tall drawer system in the back. Been there done that and it doesn't really save space or help with organization in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven