1995 Montero SR Build

I had a mini-disaster yesterday...

I was working on the cargo management system and decided to take a break. Went to the store (in the wife's car) to pick up brake rotors. Came home to find the plywood on the ground next to the truck... looked up and saw this...
292882_843311265921_1048545184_n.jpg

407768_843311116221_1568976992_n.jpg

So I hauled *** down to a junk yard where I knew there was a gen 2.5. I took some measurements and photos of mine because i wasn't certain they were the same. But know now, gen 2.5 rear quarter panel windows are the same as gen 2.
311279_843342488351_224443466_n.jpg

Went to junk yard 45 minutes away, pulled the new window, drove home, installed window; in less than 2 hours.

But I did step in human **** at the junk yard. I was quite livid about that. Resulted in getting the window for $40 though. :sombrero: As Forrest Gump said, "**** happens" "...some times"

Last edited:
Finished up a temp storage solution for the rear cargo area:
23868_844823939511_69308891_n.jpg

It is temporary, because I will be going back and welding up a 1/2" square tubing frame with 1/2" ply decking.

Packing the truck up this evening, then going to the grocery store.... then off to the wilderness for ~8 days.

Last edited:

ca18_sean

Adventurer
How hard was replacing the rear windows? I guess it can't be too hard if you did it in a couple hours! Did you reuse the gasket, or how are they sealed? I have solid rear windows on my Montero and I'd like to go to the sliding type so my dogs can get a little air when they're in the back...

brushogger

Explorer
Hey Scott! Just been catching up on your thread. The Mitsu is looking great. I think you will love the OzTent. We have had our RV-5 for about 14 months now, and slept in it 35-40 nights. We have been in 40+ mph winds, snow, and a down pour. The tent never budged or leaked. It's warm in the winter and has great ventilation from all directions withe the rear flap up and windows unzipped. If we make a quick camp and there is no wind, I don't even stake it. It does set up in less than 1 minute in that case. If I stake everything and use the awning and poles it's closer to 5 min. The only downsides are the folded package (6' long x 14"x8") and the weight (about 45 lbs.). I bought one wall for the awning that we have used a a windbreak a couple of times. There are two caveats to this tent. If it is windy, stake it out with the ropes. When folding/unfolding it, don't lift the legs. Keep them next close to ground level. I have read a couple of posts in which the owner raised them to chest level when unfolding and broke the rear hinge pieces. This makes more sense when you actually do it and look at the hinge.
The RV-5 is large enough for our queen size airbed, and when it is pushed into the rear corner, it has about 1 1/2' of space to the front and other side. Also, when carrying it on the roof, turn the bag upside down so the zipper is on the bottom if its raining. It will stay dry as a bone. If the zipper is on top, the tent will get wet. Another cool thing is once the tent is set up, you can back the truck up to the front of it and attach the awning to the roof rack with a couple of bungies , eazy peazy, and fast. This gives you a covered area from the tent to your cargo area and makes a good cooking spot.They are pricey, but in this case you get what you pay for.

How hard was replacing the rear windows? I guess it can't be too hard if you did it in a couple hours! Did you reuse the gasket, or how are they sealed? I have solid rear windows on my Montero and I'd like to go to the sliding type so my dogs can get a little air when they're in the back...

Put the sliding window in the open position (of the one you're removing it from) Remove the little seal around the back window (rubber window stripping) then pop off the 4 clips inside. I used a screwdriver in the top forward corner to pry it out a bit an break the seal then just yanked it off the truck. 5 minutes tops.

There is a neoprene seal around the window. For replacement with the new window, I just used a small bead of RTV silicone. It'll do...

Yeah. We REALLy wanted to get the Oztent, and we will, but we ended up with a Kelty Grand Mesa 6. Its the right size, the right weather protection, and I like the color and the price!

It was either, get an Oztent and stay home.... or get the Oztent and NOT go to Big Bend. Only one sensible option there!

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Put the sliding window in the open position (of the one you're removing it from) Remove the little seal around the back window (rubber window stripping) then pop off the 4 clips inside. I used a screwdriver in the top forward corner to pry it out a bit an break the seal then just yanked it off the truck. 5 minutes tops.

There is a neoprene seal around the window. For replacement with the new window, I just used a small bead of RTV silicone. It'll do...

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner

Members online