1995 Montero SR Build

I've noticed that my shocks have been getting a weeeeee bit bouncy as of late. Ordering up a set of Ironman nitro shocks from Jacque at TRDParts4U. We'll see how they perform.

Well, ended up ordering the KYB Monomax shocks. They're beefier than the Ironman. Jacque helped me out a lot getting the prices on the ironman parts only for me to change my mind last minute.... so definitely worth mentioning his efforts!

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
Scott, awesome write-up. I especially appreciated your thought thread on the 2.5's performance. This kind of depth makes for a rich thread.

I hate to nit-pick, but are you referring to my "Gen 2" monty when you say "2.5"?

And thanks, I've enjoyed your Cornering Consciousness blog. We're headed to Utah and Colorado this summer and wouldn't mind meeting up if you're available.

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
I hate to nit-pick, but are you referring to my "Gen 2" monty when you say "2.5"?

And thanks, I've enjoyed your Cornering Consciousness blog. We're headed to Utah and Colorado this summer and wouldn't mind meeting up if you're available.

Oops. My bad. 2.0 it is.

Meeting up would be great this Summer. Keep me posted and I'll PM contact details.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
LOL...great pics! You guys go out in the snow in your bathing suits? How cool! Will you be my dad?!?! I want to come play at your house! We're having Stove Top at about 8...what time are you guys eating?! :sombrero:

So in the last month, I've replaced the rear brakes and all four shocks. I decided to go with KYB monomax shocks per recommendations and data. These seem to be beefier than stock (and the Ironman shocks for that matter). They feel nice, with similar to or slightly firmer valving than the stock shocks on firm.

Also started on installing a Warn M8000 winch. The wiring wasn't complete, but I'm close to finishing the install. Hope to do that by Tuesday night. This schematic helped a lot.schematic2.jpg

We've got the "High Water Mark" trip coming up this coming weekend, ~19 significant river/creek crossings... and this week the area has a chance of rain every day, but Thursday looks to be a significant weather event with the potential of 2" of rain! We'll have a fun and adventurous time for certain!

img_0907.jpg

web_0.jpg
This is a mildly flowing crossing. On other trips, the water is barely hub deep. I'm anticipating higher level and possibly more current.

River crossing went bad...

In need of a Mass Airflow Sensor and possibly the ECM on the passenger footwell. PM me if you have any spare parts!

Last edited:
Bummer Scott! I take it you made it out of the river and were able to drive it home though?

Yep! 4 hours in the water, an 80 series double line pulled me out after multiple attempts positioning and anchoring.

I pulled the spark plugs, blasted the water out, opened the MAF and lighly blew it out with compressed air, sprayed WD40 in the cylinders and throttle body. Plugged it all back in and it started up, drove it back to Russelville, Arkansas at under 30 mph and replaced all the fluids. Milkshake in transmission, tcase, and front diff. Engine oil was good, but I changed it anyway. Ran some ISO Heet in the fuel.

MAF is toast. The computer in the passenger footwell may be bad. ABS light was on for a while but I think the sensors dried out. SRS light is on, will inspect that later.

Essentially, I made it up to the other bank, but as soon as my suspension loaded and unloaded on the other side, the current pushed the back end around. Once I broke traction and dug in, I was done. The truck sunk further because I spun the tires, then the current helped sink it even more.
It was pretty intense. But I drove it 300 miles home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven