1995 Montero SR Build

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Too much weight up high pushed me off to the side.
Wow, this trip was a trial by fire if I've ever seen one.. What were you carrying on the rack? Only thing I carry up high are light things like a Tent, Camp Table, Chairs, etc. About the heaviest thing I carry up there would be firewood just because I don't want any of the bugs from the wood to end up roaming around in my rig. Unfortunately, around here Black Widows are fairly common and stacked firewood is an ideal home for them.

jlocster

Explorer
I watched the river crossing video...whew, you're a brave man. Glad you made it home in one piece. A lot of campfire stories from this trip, no doubt.

(Hand) Dismounted the 33x10.50 KM2s from the black wheels I bought then dismounted the Duratracs from the stock wheels.... then mounted the Duratracs to the black wheels and three of the KM2s to some other steel wheels I had laying around.

965202_944139709911_1519039428_o.jpg

463793_944139769791_1019358561_o.jpg

Productive and back breaking. You would never have guessed I had been to the chiropractor twice last week to sort out some back issues....... I wonder why?

grandpa

The wheels look good. That is a huge amount of work. I have mounted tires manually with irons in the past. I'm too old for that now.

Just for kicks and giggles I taught myself how to break the bead (with multiple methods), reset the bead, and change tires with just 2 tire irons . Thankfully, the tire changing machine provides an extra amount of leverage to make the job easier. But tossing the tires around is tiring. Especially doing it in such a way to avoid further back injury. But, as they say, the show must go on.

I'm having some issues with the truck getting a little hot.... Normal temp is just under halfway on the temp gauge but recently it has gotten above 3/4 but still below the red-hot zone. One instance was during a low-no speed idle/tire spinning episode pulling a tractor from a quagmire. The second was driving up the interstate at 60-65mph... the latter is what concerned me more! During both instances the AC was on full blast.

I'm fairly certain that there is a little bit of debris stuck in the rad/condenser/etc (you know, from the submarine experience...) so will be cleaning that out. I think I'll also be investing in an electric fan, setup with an automatic thermostat and an on off switch tied to a light and buzzer (so I don't forget to turn it back on). I'll be measuring tonight to decide what product to buy. Everything in the cooling system is new, minus the fan blade and clutch.

Since I'll be towing a trailer, I'm considering an auxiliary transmission cooler, possibly with a small push/pull fan plus a temp gauge to monitor the temperature better.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just for kicks and giggles I taught myself how to break the bead (with multiple methods), reset the bead, and change tires with just 2 tire irons . Thankfully, the tire changing machine provides an extra amount of leverage to make the job easier. But tossing the tires around is tiring. Especially doing it in such a way to avoid further back injury. But, as they say, the show must go on.

I have 2 sets of 35's, and although I don't break them down myself they are very heavy to swap out.

I bet. Even the 33s get heavy quick.... especially after tossing two sets onto the tire changer. I manually broke down and changed 4 tires onto my Landcruiser using just the tire irons. That was quite a bit of work.... But, I did it as a learning experience...

I just ordered some Superwinch manual locking hubs.

I'm debating on what transmission cooler to go with. thinking about buying a unit with a built in fan to help keep temps cool. We'll be pulling the offroad trailer (that I'm building) through TX, NM, AZ, UT, ID, WY, and CO this summer. Hills and heat.

Have I shown yall the trailer?
1049228_948137762781_736940523_o.jpg

I've been working on it for three or four weekends now.

dady551

Observer
i like montero. its my dream to drive it.but i want to get information about montero engine.
share the engine`s photos.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven