1995 Montero SR Build

Cruisn

Adventurer
Great work so far, I used the same mounting points for my barrier to, but the front grab handles. good storage setup. I used to run a setup like that for ages. very impressive, keep up the good work

Got home late last night from Big Bend. Truck performed most admirably. Considering the rugged terrain and driving conditions I only had 2 minor problems and two moderate problems.

The first minimal issue started when I lost a nut on the exhaust down pipe at the manifold, found a replacement but managed to lose it too.... Needed to adjust the idle, not sure if it was due to running premium fuel the entire trip or the elevation or something else. Ran great and obtained 16-18 mpg on the hwy. Offroad was difficult to measure because we emptied our jerry cans each evening. Probably 12mpg when I wasn't towing the trailer (emergency situation with friend's truck)... 8mpg when I was.

The moderate problems were slight oil consumption (I'll attribute it to the heavy loads and conditions) and the rear door latch (handle) failed.

Here are some pics of the rig during the trip:
600049_849212409981_87138706_n.jpg

270025_849212579641_1222075656_n.jpg

224141_849213023751_1966128192_n.jpg

399349_849213133531_570647448_n.jpg

68306_849213492811_1166482909_n.jpg

561631_849214306181_1973202439_n.jpg

248919_849215054681_650139730_n.jpg

14289_849215114561_364409931_n.jpg

561472_849215239311_828379025_n.jpg

205425_849215503781_1468856066_n.jpg

16163_849215753281_1131114103_n.jpg

399198_849215897991_1866046319_n.jpg

255007_849217195391_1348029716_n.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why I've invested in this truck.

Clem

Adventurer
:clapsmile:clapsmile:clapsmile:clapsmile

Looks like you and the family had a fantastic trip. I hope to do the same.

zukrider

Explorer
great pics! i didnt realize you know the dude in the ramcharger. love that truck! cool tarantula! did you find it there, or put it on the hood for the pic?

Zuk, my good buddy Nigel just picked up Bill's Ram Charger. It's a dang good truck. Didn't hiccup once.... well, except for the bumper being bent (why I ended up pulling the trailer.)

We ran across several tarantulas. Tarantulas are harmless so I just pick them up and do what I like with them. Gently, of course, because they do have some nasty fangs and the hairs on their bodies and legs are used as defensive mechanisms too... think of the teeny-tiny little cactus spines like on a prickly pear.

I'll use this post to make note of some additional thoughts that I had regarding the Montero during this trip.

- Power, I never felt as if I were lacking horsepower or torque during the entire trip. I even pulled the heavy Adventure Trailer over quite a bit of technical terrain with lots of steep hills. My only issue was slowing it down without the trailer's brakes hooked up... but the recent performance pads and discs upgrade helped. ABS caused stopping issues on several occasions.... Thankfully, when using 4HCL or 4LCL, the anti lock breaks turn off. When going into a wash, the loose gravel would cause the ABS to activate, basically allowing the truck to keep rolling forward because of the load. With ABS off, I could regulate the brake pressure and keep the tires from locking better than the ABS system was working. This is how I ended up pulling the trailer off pavement. Again, this only seemed to be an issue while pulling the trailer.

-Rear door handle and latch. Mitsubishi needs to be slapped for this design. They use a brittle plastic handle to open the back hatch door. What the hell? When I bought the truck, the rear door could only be opened from the inside, I disassembled the mechanism to find that the only thing applying pressure to the lever which opens the door latch is again, made of plastic and snapped off. I drilled a hole and inserted an appropriate length machine screw. This worked from the first week of ownership until last week. To make matters worse, it was lunch time, and I was practically starving (hey, I'm skinny and gotsta eat). To top that off, I built the cargo barrier and the storage platform.... basically preventing me from accessing the rear door handle.... that's why I stuck my daughter through the window. But, it didn't stop there, she couldn't get it. Thankfully I had practice removing the side window, so that was my next move. After removing the side window, I was able to reach in and yank the interior lever to open the door! I disassembled the rear door and began thinking of options. I finally decided the best resolution was to remove the entire original handle mechanism accessing rod that moves to activate the latch. I put bailing wire to hold it in place and it slides right to left, using my thumb I can push in towards the drivers side to release the latch to open the door. Inconvenient, but it was a trail fix... of a sort. I'll work on a plate and handle that attaches to the rod and just slide it in with fewer moving parts.

- Suspension/ handling. The truck handled great, for the most part. I can see myself upgrading to Old Man Emu shocks soon. The truck was able to soak up plenty, only bottoming out the rear twice and the front once (that I noticed). I did manage to make the truck go air-born, launching across two very deep washouts in the middle of the road in a VERY unexpected place. Two washes just longer than the wheelbase of the truck and about 18" deep.... well rounded though but the loading and unloading of the suspension got us off the ground... at about 20mph! Washboard driving could comfort be improved. I'm hoping OME shocks are the answer. The truck was easily capable of maintaining 35-40mph speeds on unknown roads. If I had been unloaded without the family, the speeds could have approached rally-like speeds of 50-60. Safety was a concern with high COG, but the truck was a blast to drive.

- Articulation, traction, 4wd. Only on one instance could I have used better articulation. Driving out of an arroyo, off camber with an eroded 12-20" ledge, the truck was having a hard time keeping traction in 2wd, locked it in 4Low but was still slipping a bit so I clicked the magic button to engage the rear locker and the truck easily climbed out of the river bed. Preservation of resources and reduction of impact on the environment are my two golden rules. I used 4low for two or three ascents/descents primarily for engine braking and extra traction on the loose surfaces. I was able to complete many class 3 to class 3.75 trails (based on our Trail Rating Guide) in two wheel drive. Some of the same trails required 4wheel low range for the Ram Charger, pulling the trailer (big variable, I know, but reference only).

-Storage capacity- Weight and cargo capacity has been as expected (in comparison to 4runners-has more and fj80s- slightly less). With a family of four, it is a challenge to pack efficiently. We're still trimming the fat but maintaining comfort. Its not fun when someone starts feeling uncomfortable. This is the area that needs the most improvement (not related to the truck). Thankfully though, the trailer incidents confirmed my doubts of wanting to build a trailer. I'd rather pack more efficiently and use the roof rack of the truck. We may also re-consider the notion of a RTT, however, this trip has also reconfirmed the idea of base-camping with hikes, bikes, and day trips in the truck instead of a new campsite each night. We'll plan accordingly in the future. In which case a ground tent is more beneficial. I'll be re-working our storage platform in the cargo area soon, although it is the best, most practical version I've built yet. The refrigerator was another great investment! The boss loved it. My home built slider worked flawlessly, where as the name brand slider failed in the trailer... again, attributed to the rough terrain.

-Snorkel. Its just for looks, right? Although I was mostly ahead of the Ram Charger on the dirt, avoiding the dust, the truck only ingested minimal amounts of dust. I would knock out the air filter most evenings. In the past, my other vehicles would nearly need new air filters after the same amount of driving. The deepest water I crossed on this trip was only 3", but had bonnet deep water in Arkansas on two dips. The montero's computer is on the drivers side a little lower than knee height... and does not look easy to relocate. I don't intend to drive through much water, unless necessary, but this is a valid concern to keep in mind.

-Tires. Unfortunately I'll have to admit that I was wrong in recommending 33x12.50 tires on the stock rims. While they do fit, technically,the wear and cupping is now perceptible after a couple of decent hwy trips. I'll be looking for replacement wheels soon. My requirements are to keep the tires inside the fender flares, keeping the same stance the truck currently has, but on an acceptable width rim. Any recommendations for those requirements would be appreciated. I still love the GoodYear Duratracs and will likely continue buying them. They're a good balance for on and off road driving and prove to be tough tires.

I am still overall satisfied with choosing the Montero as my overlanding vehicle. There are a few things still to tweak and mend, but the truck handles the terrain I enjoy driving with ease. And, I know it can handle more when necessary. Overall capability and versatility has been spot on for my needs and for what it is. The only thing that might be better for me and my family is a similarly sized quad cab pick up truck with a fiberglass shell. But that is out of budget for a while.

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
-Storage capacity- Weight and cargo capacity has been as expected (in comparison to 4runners-has more and fj80s- slightly less). With a family of four, it is a challenge to pack efficiently. We're still trimming the fat but maintaining comfort. Its not fun when someone starts feeling uncomfortable. This is the area that needs the most improvement (not related to the truck). Thankfully though, the trailer incidents confirmed my doubts of wanting to build a trailer. I'd rather pack more efficiently and use the roof rack of the truck. We may also re-consider the notion of a RTT, however, this trip has also reconfirmed the idea of base-camping with hikes, bikes, and day trips in the truck instead of a new campsite each night. We'll plan accordingly in the future. In which case a ground tent is more beneficial. I'll be re-working our storage platform in the cargo area soon, although it is the best, most practical version I've built yet. The refrigerator was another great investment! The boss loved it. My home built slider worked flawlessly, where as the name brand slider failed in the trailer... again, attributed to the rough terrain.

After two 2-week backcountry camping trips out of the Montero this past summer, my wife really felt that setting up and breaking camp every day was too much effort. It doesn't bother me, but she does have a point that more time spent in relaxation would be nice. We currently spend all day driving and our time in camp is dedicated entirely to the work of camping. Making a base camp and having daily forays from a central spot would, of course, address this, but I think more and more about getting a roof-top tent.

The trailers are incredibly appealing, so it's nice to hear about folks with real-world experience dragging such a beast behind the Montero. Never having trailered off-pavement, I have a hard time imagining how it would be, especially on some of the terrain on which we usually find ourselves (we like to challenge ourselves to see if we're up to a certain road or hill). Since we like the security of having two spare tires in remote areas, with the roof-top tent I'd have to rig either a double-wheel mount on the rear door or get an entire rear bumper with dual swing-away tire mounts made up. I'm not crazy about that idea since the Montero is our shopping wagon, soccer wagon, fishing trip wagon, and we're in and out of that rear door a lot. Then of course there's the matter of the jerry cans we carry up there; where would they go? I've never liked having them on the rear bumper as in even a fairly minor collision 20 or 40 liters of gas would be a very, very bad thing to have dripping all over the place.

Plenty to think about. Keep the info coming!

You have valid concerns about storage and the RTT. I have a full length ARB roof rack (basket type). For this trip, I carried on the roof: 5 gallons of fuel and 8 gallons of water (will be getting two 5 gallon scepter water cans soon); the ground tent, sleeping bags, pillows, and pads (in dry bags), One pelican case containing: dishes, cooking/eating utensils, pots/pans; A second pelican case contained a few spares, liquids, gas lantern, and other odds n ends; three folding chairs.

Theoretically, with a RTT, we can leave the sleeping bags and pillows inside the tent when folded away (use blankets and no need for pads). Fuel and water could be stored in front of the RTT and the two spares boxes could possibly fit behind the fuel/water. But then again, we're talking a heavy load on the roof......... which is where I take a step back to re-evaluate.

Our internet was out yesterday... and didn't want to type it out on my phone.
377955_861776112221_476080535_n.jpg

Yesterday I spent 4 hours on the road covering a bit over 100 miles just seeing if I could help anyone. The kinetic strap came out 7 times and I physically pushed and or directed 4 vehicles. I straightened up an 18wheeler and helped him back up to dry, ice free ground... then with a running start got him up a hill so he could park at the truck stop.... Same intersection, I pulled several more vehicles up the hill and a police officer was helping me by directing traffic but when he left his vehicle slid to the side of the road and couldn't get going again. Pulled a heavily laden chevy pickup (crew cab dually with flat ute bed with welding equipment) pulling a 25 ft flat bed trailer with one of the larger "Trex" fork lifts up an on ramp after he got jackknifed. 4wd Low center and rear diff locks and driving on the grass shoulder got that one going again. Pulled a car outof a Y in the road to a safe spot to get him jump started and so he could fix an ice induced flat.... Interstate batteries owes me at least one battery after I pulled one of their trucks and trailers (chevy extended cab pickup single wheel, pulling a 16ft bumper pull battery trailer).... OVER the railroad track they were stuck on. Thankfully no trains were coming. Found one F250 in a ditch, on its side. Looked like a fairly hard impact, french fries were STUCK to the passenger window and door... along with a hamburger. No one was in it,but the truck was warm and it was just across the street from a truck stop. Wouldn't be pulling this one out anyway (got a pic of it tho...).

75372_861776187071_1315635498_n.jpg

1475_861776107231_1211349863_n.jpg

Drove up to Lake Ray Roberts and there was a cool icy fog blowing across the lake...
23733_861776266911_1516977202_n.jpg

By about 11:00 the roads were warming up and the ice was melting making it pretty easy going for most... I did stop for to help a lady with a flat tire stuck in the middle of hwy 380 though, not a good place to be. Then when crossing over a bridges going over a northern bit of Lake Lewisville, a car had a near hit going into oncoming traffic..... they managed to go all the way through the center "turning lane" and into the oncoming lane before slowly correcting back to the turning lane. Thankfully they didn't freak out and over correct.

It was bad enough that I left the snatch strap attached and just threw it inside the back door. But, I need to replace the strap now since several folks ran it over...... But, I "made" $130 which covers my fuel and strap replacement. So, not bad. All in good fun and helping folks out.

383581_861776396651_1600275269_n.jpg

Last edited:
Did this happen in TX?

Yeah, Ray. When the white stuff flies people go bonkers....... and they already can't drive/think. My thought is that karma happens. It may not be me, but I'd hope someone would help me or my wife/daughters if we were in a similar situation. Its good to have sheepdogs out and about.

WOW what a day you and the truck had! I love your rig, looks great!

It was fun and I enjoy helping people. Thanks, it's been a ton of work!

Like I said, snow makes people bonkers. My daughter and I had a bathing suit/kilt snowball fight in the backyard. Her idea after we raced to the back fence in our skivvies. :Wow1:
564825_860810906501_121047843_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven