1995 Montero SR Build

Got all the plugs changed. Passenger side was a PITA!!!!! Never have I had so much trouble just changing plugs! It took nearly an hour 30 minutes to do just the passenger side.

Passenger side plugs were much drier and were colored appropriately, just well worn.

I've never witnessed such a dramatic difference just by changing plugs. The truck also had sort of a shudder when it hit 40mph. I thought it might have been the torque converter, but thankfully that seems to be cured as well. I already bought the golden, red-juice so I'll do a transmission flush tomorrow.........

... right after I get Leary's truck finished!

Bones

Observer
so then for all that work, pulling the engine is easier?

I know that seems extreme, but with all the things that need to be serviced on this engine (timing belt, front/rear seals, etc.), it will be easier to just pull it out, buy a full gasket kit, and do it right.
We'll have to see, after this trip next weekend, how much oil the engine's consuming. Then we can determine whether or not to change the stem seals. Premature stem seal wear is common on this engine if it is not maintained well.

Expedition Leader
I've never witnessed such a dramatic difference just by changing plugs.

I don't doubt it, from the photos of the old plugs you posted - center electrodes burned down to nubs and hence the huge gaps the stock coil could barely jump.

I don't doubt it, from the photos of the old plugs you posted - center electrodes burned down to nubs and hence the huge gaps the stock coil could barely jump.

Actually, the plugs from the factory are platinum, so they look smaller. The gaps were about .50-.65ish, where as the recommended gap is .44.

But yes. Huge improvement. And while just driving around town, I'm not witnessing the fuel gauge plummeting rapidly!:Wow1:

Was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys concerning a CB antenna install, which I pretty much need to buy parts and install tomorrow.

I've been reading up tonight on CB mounts and ground planes and such in hopes of understanding what I need for the Montero. So, my two favored mounting locations are on the rear door or on a hood mount. To me, the hood mount would provide the best grounding plane with a firestick, but it will be in harms way. If I did the rear door, I'm considering a 102" whip, but still concerned about the GP.

What would you guys think would be appropriate and most tune-ably acceptable?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Depending on the range you're looking for, I'd consider the following options...
1) Longest Range: On a roof rack, center of roof.
2) On hood, front bumper, or spare tire mount (cleaner install than on the hood/bumper and won't be distracting while you drive).

I've usually used a roof rack of some kind (even if it's a simple Yakima/Thule rack) so that's where I usually mount it, but I have seen it mounted on the rear tire carrier which is my 2nd favorite. Also it won't distract you on the road. Third favorite is off your front hood or bumper.

Thanks Ray. Yeah, if I had a roof rack I'd go that route. But, I'm not interested in another crappy magnetic (even my wilson 35 sucks and I've broken two of them). I didnt find this until a few minutes ago, but a "door jamb mount" would work well on the back hatch, probably passenger side. I'm going to give it a look in the morning before ordering anything.
MK274R.jpg

But as far as the best grounding plane, it looks like mounting in on the hood would be best? I've ridden in and driven Mr. Leary's 4runner with the hood mounted antennas and they aren't distracting. Overall though, I would like the antenna at the back of the rig.

As far as range, I'll likely be leading several group runs with the majority of the radios in line behind me. On several trail runs, it has been the guys with the simplest setups with cheap radios, cheap coax and a cheap 102" whip coming over the radio loud and clear.

Expedition Leader
As far as range, I'll likely be leading several group runs with the majority of the radios in line behind me.

Scott, I replied on your other CB thread, but with this info in mind, the hood mount might work best for you - the ground plane of the hood/body will make an elliptical radiation pattern that be longer/farther to the rear of the truck than the front. IOW, you will have better range behind you with a front-mounted antenna, and more range ahead of you with a rear-mounted antenna.

I'm still back and forth on the mount setup. I can get all the stuff I need from the corner radio shack to do a hatch mount 102" whip (but would require drilling holes), and it wouldn't be optimum by your description.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm not keen on magnetics either but I've always heard nothing but praise for the K40 magnetic antennas. Never used one though so I cant say for sure. Plus I keep my antenna's constantly mounted (unless I'm parking in a big garage & I don't really like the idea of it rubbing against the paint constantly.

As for a spare tire mount, it's pretty easy to do behind the spare ('forward of') and many have done it with their gen I/II Montero's but if it's better to mount up front, then this won't work for you as well.

As for 102" whips having the best performance, I've heard it's due as much to the length of the antenna (1/4 wave?) as much as placement of the antenna but maybe a CB guru can chime in here...

Expedition Leader
I'm still back and forth on the mount setup. I can get all the stuff I need from the corner radio shack to do a hatch mount 102" whip (but would require drilling holes), and it wouldn't be optimum by your description.

The big whip is pretty nice for range and tuning, it's just not optimum for wheeling IMO, it gets in the way of everything and whips around when you're going over an obstacle unless you have the top tied down, and then you give up a lot of your range. Th big 1/4-wave whip is also pretty heavy, and most folks mount them with one of those big ball mounts for that reason. And you usually have to drill a hole in the side of the truck for a ball mount. If you're going to put the big whip on the hatch, make sure it is a real heavy-duty mount.

Calling around this morning and couldn't find anyone in the metroplex, and as far as CBcity in Tyler, with an adjustable hood mount.

I have a few pieces of metal that I could probably fab a simple mount with. My question is what would constitute a good mount? Can I simply bend a piece of flat stock and then bolt that to the tire carrier and run a firestick on the back as a temporary solution until I can get the proper hood mount? Does anything need to be isolated? Or any special care need to be taken?

If that doesnt work, I was thinking of just bolting one of the generic mounts (I suppose they are for truck mirrors) directly to the rear hatch.
3199Olpd-AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And as far as the whip for wheeling, I'm not big on wheeling in tight stuff. Mainly need the CB for doing the trips like the hill country.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven