1995 Montero SR Build

zukrider

Explorer
looks good, you dont think the side to side leverage will bend the mount at all?

also, what was the damage on that coil pack?

P22003271.jpg

A Mitsubishi amongst Toyotas. The joke was on them when I told them the buying price. :sombrero:

183922_1881969530220_1270771061_2315098_7525827_n.jpg

180652_592598311691_62002887_33038772_1868522_n.jpg

Question:
I understand the basic principles of deep water fording, but I'm wondering if there is anything specific to the Monteros that you guys might point out that is critical for this truck?

For example, in my 4runner, I relocated the CPU into the glove box, snorkel, diff breathers, and siliconed all the underhood components.

I guess I could explain my goals...
I'll be presented with the opportunity to traverse trails that have multiple river fords that average 'about this deep'...
web_1.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

To a bit deeper...
1144274183_qHJBD-L-1.jpg

1144287427_pv2NK-L-1.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Made crossings like that with just a lift and tires in my gen 1. Need to know how to use your bow wake though...

Made crossings w my gen II but already had a snorkel.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
A lot of your success with these kinds of crossings will definitely depend on technique.

Pre crossing prep may include, moving the diff vent lines higher up (currently they vent into your frame cross members). Same goes for the transfercase & transmission. Your axle/bearings should also be properly lubed. If possible using marine grease.

As for the actual water crossing...
First off, you can't go too fast, nor too slow.

If you cannot tell the depth, you should walk the crossing before driving across.

Once you start across, your vehicle will make a bow wake (wave of water). Just behind the bow wake the water will be less deep than anywhere else. This is where you should try and stay. The trick though is going fast enough that the bow wake moves forward fast enough that you aren't fully engulfed in water.

One thing I've seen others do (Grasscat did it at the end of the Mojave Trail) is attach a piece of cloth across the grill to minimize water intake there. I'm no expert so I'm not truly sure how well it works but if you do it in conjunction with staying behind your bow wake it should reduce the water being ingested through the grill.

If you have an electric engine fan, turn it off before crossing to minimize the water splashing in the engine bay.

That's about all I can think of. It's probably best if you watch others who know what they're doing make the crossing before you try to do it on your own so you can see the proper technique.

There are also lots of good articles on how to make a water crossing or fording water with your 4x4.

HTH.:ylsmoke:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm aware of the techniques and usual precautions, i'm simply asking if there is anything particularly vulnerable on the monty.

Ahh, ok. I usually do a full answer like that in case the person asking doesn't know.:ylsmoke:

But other than that, no much else is required other than the basics. It's a good thing that our intakes already have lots of various baffles/compartments which help prevent water ingestion. Many believe it was designed with that in mind but others say the baffles are there to minimize air intake noise. Whatever the reason, I'm just glad it's built this way.:smiley_drive:

Hows that roof rack working out for you? Did you figure out how to mount it yet?

I haven't mounted it yet. Probably going to have a local fab shop make the bends in some 2.5" flat stock so I can make some gutter mounts. The issue is that I want to very low to the roof. Thule mounts would raise the rack almost 3" off of the roof, and ARB mounts that would fit an 80 would also be too high for my liking.

jsmarine

Adventurer
I haven't mounted it yet. Probably going to have a local fab shop make the bends in some 2.5" flat stock so I can make some gutter mounts. The issue is that I want to very low to the roof. Thule mounts would raise the rack almost 3" off of the roof, and ARB mounts that would fit an 80 would also be too high for my liking.

I know how to get it to sit low, just put the rack on the roof directly, drill some holes and drop in the bolts, done! And maybe some silcone for the holes too! :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven