1995 Montero SR Build

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup. Fit stock.:drool:

FWIW, throw a 2" body lift on and a set of 35's if you want even bigger meats.. That's what I did...:Wow1::smiley_drive:

red87

Adventurer
Err...wait...

What about gearing with those big tires? :confused:

The 94-97s have 4.6 gears that seem to handle the 33s just fine. I'm running 33x10.5s and while there was a power loss going to the 33s from the 31s, it isn't too bad. Still waaaay faster than my buddy's 4runner on 32s :jump:

Yup. Fit stock.:drool:

FWIW, throw a 2" body lift on and a set of 35's if you want even bigger meats.. That's what I did...:Wow1::smiley_drive:

Just out of curiosity would I be able to fit them with a suspension lift..... if I ever wanted to? Or, would I need to do a body lift also?

The ability to fit such large tires was a major plus. Plus, it seems that even though there isnt a big of an aftermarket presence as compared to the other rigs, the truck is still cheaply outfitted and does still have the major bits available.

3Deserts

Observer
Wow, I'm practically giddy over all this. Toyota shmooyota.:ylsmoke:

Backing up to the KYB shocks: I should be able to replace them and keep the old, stock springs, assuming they're in good shape right? I'd have to assume the shocks are specified with those springs, so swapping springs would mess up the whole system.

Opinions on which system is actually better for combination on/off road? Adjustable KYBs with spec'd springs, or a complete OME suspension?

I'm always a junky for adjustable suspension, so I'm predisposed to go that route, but if everyone yells STOP!, I'll go with OME.

Monterorider

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity would I be able to fit them with a suspension lift..... if I ever wanted to? Or, would I need to do a body lift also?
There is no such thing as suspension lift for IFS Montero. You can crank up t-bars and ride higher but it can still be compressed just like stock in right conditions.
Unless you talk about dropping suspension arms, extending upper ball joint etc. Body lift is much cheaper and easier.

So it either fits with stock suspension or doesn't fit at all. Of course you can cut sheet metal and clear anything you want.

There is no such thing as suspension lift for IFS Montero. You can crank up t-bars and ride higher but it can still be compressed just like stock in right conditions.
Unless you talk about dropping suspension arms, extending upper ball joint etc. Body lift is much cheaper and easier.

So it either fits with stock suspension or doesn't fit at all. Of course you can cut sheet metal and clear anything you want.

Right, doing a body lift raises the entire body away from the frame, I get that. You statement does not make sense. At all. You can put a suspension lift-- longer coils and longer torsion bars with different spring rate)-- onto a Montero or any other IFS truck. Cranking the torsion bars also effectively pushes the hubs downward, away from the fender. There are dynamical differences and methods, but it does actually LIFT the vehicle.

So, my question, is a suspension lift that provides the same amount (two inches) of "lift" as a body lift capable of allowing 35" tires on the Montero?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Backing up to the KYB shocks: I should be able to replace them and keep the old, stock springs, assuming they're in good shape right? I'd have to assume the shocks are specified with those springs, so swapping springs would mess up the whole system.

Opinions on which system is actually better for combination on/off road? Adjustable KYBs with spec'd springs, or a complete OME suspension?
The stock setup rides very very nice off road. Helper Air Bags would be a good alternative if you need extra strength in the rear coils for your 4x4 gear. My 96SR had 200K + when I bought it and I'm still using the stock setup off road with the 35's so I suspect you'll be fine with the stock setup unless they were abused.

I'm always a junky for adjustable suspension, so I'm predisposed to go that route, but if everyone yells STOP!, I'll go with OME.
The stock Adjustable KYB's are $$$$$ and as far as I know have only been available via Mitsu unless they sold off their inventory to a 3rd party.

AFAIK you can only buy them through Mitsu or whomever mitsu is selling them through. You can't buy them directly from KYB or traditional distribution unless you have an inside angle and even with that, they may have sold the entire inventory to Mitsu and therefore won't have any stock available to sell to a general consumer or auto parts chain... but you never know... anything could be possible.

Last edited:

red87

Adventurer

How does one extend the upper ball joint? Is there a vendor that sells a ball joint spacer, like the ones for older toyotas?

Monterorider

Adventurer
Right, doing a body lift raises the entire body away from the frame, I get that. You statement does not make sense. At all. You can put a suspension lift-- longer coils and longer torsion bars with different spring rate)-- onto a Montero or any other IFS truck. Cranking the torsion bars also effectively pushes the hubs downward, away from the fender. There are dynamical differences and methods, but it does actually LIFT the vehicle.

So, my question, is a suspension lift that provides the same amount (two inches) of "lift" as a body lift capable of allowing 35" tires on the Montero?
What I'm trying to say there are (at least) two reason you put a lift on a truck: increase ground clearance and/or put larger tires.
For the later it's necessary to permanently move body of truck away from wheels. Body lift achieves that easily by raising body up against the frame. Replacing springs with stiffer ones, cranking torsion bars etc lifts a truck against the road with a given load but doesn't restrict full cycle of suspension movement (between upper and lower bump stops). Meaning under higher load suspension can be compressed to lower bump stop just like with stock height suspension. Therefore if you tires rub on stock set up they will under some circumstances rub with suspension lift. Only remedy here is to limit up-travel by raising lower bump stops. Which is usually done when live axle setup is lifter for larger tires. Unfortunately doing so on independent suspension particularly on Montero with already mediocre range of motion upfront will severely limit travel or make it non-existent. Which in turn will have detrimental effect on ride quality, crawling, suspension life, etc.

Monterorider

Adventurer
How does one extend the upper ball joint? Is there a vendor that sells a ball joint spacer, like the ones for older toyotas?
If you search you can find it. We kicked that dead hoarse for decade alread on 4x4 wire. I will not point you to one since I'm opposed to that. IMHO you gain little you compromise a lot. Not worth it. It's not going to make Montero RTI ramp king. There are limitations except them and enjoy other strengths Montero setup provides you with. Montero was never build as ultimate rock crawler and will never be at least in stock-like setup. Desert runner is totally different game. Hard to best it. If you truly hitting limits of traction upfront get a locker.

What I'm trying to say there are (at least) two reason you put a lift on a truck: increase ground clearance and/or put larger tires.
For the later it's necessary to permanently move body of truck away from wheels. Body lift achieves that easily by raising body up against the frame. Replacing springs with stiffer ones, cranking torsion bars etc lifts a truck against the road with a given load but doesn't restrict full cycle of suspension movement (between upper and lower bump stops). Meaning under higher load suspension can be compressed to lower bump stop just like with stock height suspension. Therefore if you tires rub on stock set up they will under some circumstances rub with suspension lift. Only remedy here is to limit up-travel by raising lower bump stops. Which is usually done when live axle setup is lifter for larger tires. Unfortunately doing so on independent suspension particularly on Montero with already mediocre range of motion upfront will severely limit travel or make it non-existent. Which in turn will have detrimental effect on ride quality, crawling, suspension life, etc.

Now I see what your sayin!:sombrero:

As you say in the next post, I am more interested in the trucks higher speed capabilities than any sort of crawling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven