1995 Montero SR Build

Just use a plastic grommet to isolate, and make sure you are properly grounded.

Properly grounded to what? I picked up the 102 whip. Still need mounting point, radio shack people in Denton have no more clue than I do.

Oh and the *$%&!#& Montero is misfiring again already!!!!!!!!!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Properly grounded to what?
Your vehicle ground (same thing that your other electronic devices are ground to). As was already suggested, be sure you use the included plastic spacer which prevents accidentally grounding the wrong part of your antenna.

I picked up the 102 whip. Still need mounting point, radio shack people in Denton have no more clue than I do.
102"? Wow, that will be long. Is it a flexible antenna or a solid one?

If it is flexible, be sure to secure the end off road or be prepared to learn why its called a Whip Antenna.

As for the mounting point, I suspect that will be too long for the spare tire so the front is likely the best place for it but then again I'm not sure how you're gonna secure it if it's a flexible one.

As for finding someone who knows about CB, it's the same situation here in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Internet is your friend on this I think.

Oh and the *$%&!#& Montero is misfiring again already!!!!!!!!!
I'd check on the 'wire to figure this one out unless someone knows what's wrong on the ExPo.

I am cheating, running the new ignition wires OVER the motor. Getting the old ones out would have been impossible if I weren't as skinny as I am.:sombrero:

Of course I am taking precautions to shield and protect the wires from sensors and hot parts. But I came to the realization that the intake plenum wont be near as hot as the back of the motor against the firewall.

Anyways, hoping to get it buttoned back up in the next hour.

I also tested the compression. All but one cylinder tested at 184 as per spec, the one cylinder (middle on passenger side) tested ~180 so still within spec. There could have been extenuating issues such as I didn't screw the test plug in firmly enough, it had oil in test plug, or I didn't crank the motor over enough. But I'm not worried about it at all since it was still within spec and all others were awesome.

Confusing.

Had a wild hare to check the plugs again (after finding the plugs loose) and the first coil I pulled out (#2 cylinder) came apart.... put it back together and stuck it in the truck.

Fired up and ran/drove perfectly again. So I must have one or more bad coils? :smilies27

Even ole Bob's music isn't helping to calm me down today... which is very surprising... grrr :mad:

Three little birds. Three little birds.

Just drove about 30 miles and hit a bumpy dirt road. Truck is running right and the bumps didnt cause any issues.

On a separate note, I've almost finished my Antenna mount fabrication.

102" whip with 4" spring

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

Obviously I still need to paint the bracket. You can also see the $25 spare I picked up yesterday. Looks more worn but its really more like 30-40%. Worth the $25 mounted.

gatta get that baby purrrrrring for this weekend ...im close by if ya need a hand ?
Thanks for the offer, I think I have it figured out!

Had the same thing happen with my 94, turned out to be a bad coil pack.
Yep! turns out one of the three coils was broken and faulty. As I get the money (or a problem develops, I'll get the other two. Funny thing is that the BWD ignition coil I ordered from Oreillys is the identical factory party with the "diamond" mark on it.

Replaced coil and it purred right up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven