1Leg’s 1989 Suburban

4cruzer

Adventurer
love it

My brother and I drove our 1989 white suburban (albeit diesel) 15000 miles around central america for about 7 months. We left about this time last year. We have sold the truck, but there will always be a spot in my heart for these. I wonder what white suburban drivers think when I (now driving my 4runner) hoot and holler and honk and wave at them...

If you look around this site, you're bound to find some pictures of that beast
http://whereeaglesdare.org/
GB

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Personally I'd scrap the factory steel rims. They are horrible about warping. My 88 2wd was so out of shape from Brake heat warping them the guy spinning the wheels about gave up on them. It rode horrible. Went with a set of Eagle 589 knock offs in the proper rating. The ride was night and day difference with the same tires.

1leg

Explorer
My brother and I drove our 1989 white suburban (albeit diesel) 15000 miles around central america for about 7 months. We left about this time last year. We have sold the truck, but there will always be a spot in my heart for these. I wonder what white suburban drivers think when I (now driving my 4runner) hoot and holler and honk and wave at them...

GB

Looked thru it all, Great blog,

Chucho

GB
Nice looking Burb! Do you remember the Specs?

1leg

Explorer
Time to get serious on this build

Well the Jeep has been sold :wings: , so now it’s time to get serious about this Suburban build.

First order of business is the Motor. I have convinced myself that it is a water leak from a crack or bad head gasket. The reason I believe this is. It uses about a quart or more of water a month for the last few months and appears to be getting worse. The smoke at start up is white, and it too is getting worse. Then the fact the plugs appear to have no oil fouling. I have switched to heaver 20w50 oil and lucas oil stop leak with no affect. I tried some stop leak in the radiator with no affect.
So this next week I will be ordering a new direct replacement motor from Summit or Pace. Before installing I will replace the cam with a comp cam or Edelbrock performer cam 3702. The cam will be under 450 lift so no need to change the springs. I’m thinking about going with roller tip rocker too(stock ratio, I might wait on these) I have a bored out intake to accept a 454 or Holley tbi. I have a Holley TBI that I will try, but I’m told they suck so will see how that goes. I will also have the Chip reprogrammed.
After I get the engine up and running I will then get the Exhaust system redon. I will use stock manifolds with a flow master Y pipe into 3 inch pipe and magna flow muffler. I’ll use the stock CC but have it removable so I can install it only for the smog check.

After that I will be installing some late model S10 blazer power front seats. This will actually take a little work and I regret to tell you that I will be paying someone else to install them. These seats have the seatbelts built in so they need to be installed by someone with more skill then me. It will be done by a professional race car builder who built my Racecars Back-half suspension and cage.

Then when all this is done, and paid for I will save up for the suspension Lift. (2-3 inch) Then begin building the slider/steps. Front/rear bumpers, roof rack, dual battery system, Solar panel system, Air compressor system, and rear cargo drawer system.

I’m also currently looking for a cheap old travel trailer to fix up. I want something in the 18-22 ft range with a full bath.

I have also begun to investigate an adaptive solution to use a clutch. I would love to put NV4500 in this truck. If not it will get a 700r4.

1leg

Explorer
Had to take Her out and get a little dirty, before the teardown begins.

Anza Borrego's Little Blair valley. Weather PERFECT! Time with family, Great. and a good night sleep.

31739_127039850644055_100000141210652_334434_4651688_n.jpg

31739_127039860644054_100000141210652_334435_1368082_n.jpg

31739_127039870644053_100000141210652_334437_6488271_n.jpg

32234_1279184386491_1436482297_30589895_2615122_n.jpg

32234_1279203786976_1436482297_30589913_789647_n.jpg

32234_1279203946980_1436482297_30589915_2889953_n.jpg

jp0863

Observer
http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml
Thought I would post some idea's for you. I have built 2 K5's and am about to start an 89 Suburban. I have used the tough country springs on all 3 (going to on sub) and can't say enough good things about them. Soft ride, but I would suggest upgrading the shocks. If you're going to do a 1-ton (60/14 bolt) which is what I have done on all 3, I would suggest going to www.govliquidation.com and click on "locations", select "barstow" which is closer for you than it was for me. Barstow seems to be a good place to get the m1008's vs and other place in California. I've bought about 8 of them in the past few years and Barstow has a better selection usually. Anyway, yank the front and rear axle's and sell the rest to someone doing a diesel swap... you'll make your money back. As an example, my latest m1008 for my suburban, I paid $1436 with tax, yanked what I wanted, axles, hydoboost, radiator, bumpers, etc, then sold the engine, tranny, all attached to the frame, for $1500. I'm still in the gathering parts phase for my suburban due to a recent divorce (***** cheated on me twice and still wants half) so my build is taking longer than expected.... my attorney can build one though since she has my funds.. If you need any other advice, feel free to pm me, I've done all the research so I might as well share.

1leg

Explorer
http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml
Thought I would post some idea's for you. I have built 2 K5's and am about to start an 89 Suburban. I have used the tough country springs on all 3 (going to on sub) and can't say enough good things about them. Soft ride, but I would suggest upgrading the shocks. If you're going to do a 1-ton (60/14 bolt) which is what I have done on all 3, I would suggest going to www.govliquidation.com and click on "locations", select "barstow" which is closer for you than it was for me. Barstow seems to be a good place to get the m1008's vs and other place in California. I've bought about 8 of them in the past few years and Barstow has a better selection usually. Anyway, yank the front and rear axle's and sell the rest to someone doing a diesel swap... you'll make your money back. As an example, my latest m1008 for my suburban, I paid $1436 with tax, yanked what I wanted, axles, hydoboost, radiator, bumpers, etc, then sold the engine, tranny, all attached to the frame, for $1500. I'm still in the gathering parts phase for my suburban due to a recent divorce (***** cheated on me twice and still wants half) so my build is taking longer than expected.... my attorney can build one though since she has my funds.. If you need any other advice, feel free to pm me, I've done all the research so I might as well share.

Thanks for the info! I do have 1 question for you

Do you need to run 1ton springs? I thought the 1ton springs are wider.

I'm about ready to order the new GM crate motor now.:costumed-smiley-007

Thanks for the info! I do have 1 question for you

Do you need to run 1ton springs? I thought the 1ton springs are wider.

I'm about ready to order the new GM crate motor now.:costumed-smiley-007

You do not need to use 1 ton springs. I don't know if 1-ton springs are wider, but I do know the rears are spaced out wider.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Jerry,
It was great hanging out with you at the Overland Expo and I am looking forward to getting back to Anza Burrego again once your build is rolling.
I like the motor choice and it will last for years once you are done.
Keep the updates coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal