1Leg’s 1989 Suburban

jp0863

Observer
OK 1leg, now I have to keep track of your build on two sites.... here and ck5, twice the jealousy. To answer your question regarding the 1-ton springs, as noted above, the springs are ordered for your suburban, not the axles, so the lift itself is an easy purchase. If you go with the tuff coutry springs, the best price you will find is from www.suspensionconnection.com and they can get them cheaper than I can (ask for jerry). You will need to specify that you need the steering correction for the dana 60 since it's different and you wont need the rear u-bolt kit or the front kit since the d60/14bolt are specific. Just have some made or reuse the stock size ones which I don't suggest you do (get new stuff). The rear spring perches are different and will need to be cut off the 14 bolt and have new ones welded on in the proper location.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Another good front spring option are the K5 pre-runner intended, non application listed Rancho springs that I posted about on cK5 years ago. As I recall they have a spring rate at or lower than the front Tough Country's, and have more leaves. I'll be happy to take anyone for a test drive in my '91 fitted with these springs.

What is the item in the picture next to the air filter can spacer?

BTW, by extending the air filter stud you can run the 1 ton air filter can top on the existing base and just about double the size of the air filter element. Mine is a single stud TBI so I used the top from a carb'd 1 ton dually in the JY.

If you do buy an M1008 for it's axles I'd move it's hydraboost brake booster, m/c, and PS pump & related plumbing over to the Sub as well.

1leg

Explorer
What is the item in the picture next to the air filter can spacer?

It called a Power Charger, made by Hypertech.
hyp-4001_cp_m.jpg

Quoted from Summit web site:
"These Hypertech TBI Power Chargers work by unshrouding the area surrounding the injectors, increasing airflow. The Hypertech TBI Power Chargers provide a greater volume of air directly above the throttle bores, yielding measurable performance gains."

I will take a picture tonight of how it looks attached to the TBI unit.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Keep your stock coil in the glove box, I have had multiple coil failures with the same MSD coil you bought, on several rigs. We use a Blaster 2 coil and universal mounting bracket instead, usually mount the coil on the firewall where it is a little cooler too. Great performance and reliable. I owned a performance 4wd shop for 12 years.

1leg

Explorer
Keep your stock coil in the glove box, I have had multiple coil failures with the same MSD coil you bought, on several rigs. We use a Blaster 2 coil and universal mounting bracket instead, usually mount the coil on the firewall where it is a little cooler too. Great performance and reliable. I owned a performance 4wd shop for 12 years.

That the plan, well not the glove box. but in the truck.

Thanks

78Bronco

Explorer
Significantly reduced effective spring rate. The suspension became too soft and the springs (factory 87's) were nearly flat.

At 70mph on I 85 in a right hand sweeper going down hill there was a ripple in the pavement over a drainage culvert at the bottom of the hill. That ripple upset the truck at that speed and cause a weight transfer when the trailer nosed down. In the process the rear suspension bottomed and rebounded and casued a weaght shift again as the trailer leaned back. The trailer was full and had a high CG as a result. Static it had a decent amount of tongue weight but the truck had nearly 20 inches of wheel travel in the back the way I set it up. As I pointed out :shackle in tension makes the spring act in a variable rate. The more it compresses and tries to flatten the spring the more the shackle resists this.

The trailer was able to bottom out the suspension on the truck and drag its spare tire that was mounted on the tongue. It hit the ground 3 times. I know this because of the extra skid mark between the tires on the trucks skid marks over the 1/8 mile I was fighting to keep the truck from flipping as the trailer was bouncing from one wheel to the other. It was ugly.

The fix was two fold. Longer tongue on the trailer and 2 extra leafs added to the packs. The ride improved. Weird thing is the extra leafs improved the trucks RTI score by forcing the front to work more It did a 891 on a 30 degree ramp. It was doing something like 780 before I rebuilt the pack. It also solved a wheel hop problem I was having on climbs.

I am no expert but to me it sounds like you were over driving your short wheel base tow rig and high-ish COG trailer which caused the roll over. The longer wheelbase of the suburban will make it much more stable at speed and when towing. I would also presume you did not have a sway bar installed.

1leg

Explorer
so jealous. i want to put a new engine in my burb so bad

Well you will at least get to see how good this combo runs before you need to spend your money. :sombrero: do you need to smog your truck?

Old motor is out, now. Had a few mushromed valve tips and rockers that were close to worn out. this could cause the worn out valve guides that caused the smoke at start up.

Up next.
Scrub and clean engine bay, paint if needed.
Replace stock cam/lifters with new Edelbrock performer cam/lifter
Replace stock springs with new performer valve springs.
Complete assemble and paint engine.
I hope to have it in the truck by next Saturday, then it will take about 3 days to get it ready to start.

1leg

Explorer
Well the old motor is out.

I have had a few small set backs, I ordered the wrong Timeing chain set, New correct set order Last night.
I also need to find 8 more Non-rotator valve spring retainers. the old motor only had the rotators on the exhaust valves. I was hoping the new motor would be the same, but it looks like it has rotators on all the valves. I order the non-rotator valve springs.
Should have a couple of valve springs off tonight to test things out to see if i need to shim the new springs.

New cam and lifters are installed. :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal