1Leg’s 1989 Suburban

1leg

Explorer
Got my headers back from coating today. Exhaust should be completed next week.

picture.php

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
wow:Wow1:1 leg, those headers almost look chrome plated. What powder coat are you using there?:ylsmoke:

1leg

Explorer
No not chrome. Just some hi-temp coating to keep them from rusting. To tell the truth I didn't ask to many questions I got them done thru work with a discount. Ill pm you the place that did them if you like.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Spend a few extra $$ on good header gaskets. Don't waste your time using compressed fiber gaskets. The Headman "blow-proof" gaskets were worth every dime, IIRC. Wire reinforced gaskets work best. Use them both above and below.
Tech article
It looks like Hedman no longer makes the "good ones". You'll have to do a little research.

You may also want to invest in locking bolts. They tend to loosen in some cases. I use stainless allen head bolts on the exhaust. Those make it possible to take them loose without breaking the bolt in the future.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the offer 1leg, but I am running stock manifolds. I do think that your headers look awesome with that coating. It is also interesting to read Henry`s link and the info about different gaskets. Headers that leak has allways been a reacurring problem that drives most people crazy.:rolleyes:

1leg

Explorer
they can do the same coating on stock manifolds. I'm sure someone near you can do the same thing...

shovelbill

Observer
are you going to use a drop pitman arm or steering arm? longer brake lines and possible degree shims for the pinion angle? have you researched the 3 wire O2 sensors?

coating is nice on the headers....you going to do a 2 1/2" to Y collector to 3" out back?

Dave Kay

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer 1leg, but I am running stock manifolds. I do think that your headers look awesome with that coating. It is also interesting to read Henry`s link and the info about different gaskets. Headers that leak has allways been a reacurring problem that drives most people crazy.:rolleyes:

Curious, are those headers Jetcoat, from over Arizona way?

As for the header leaks I've had a few. But one old racer fellow told me the key to good headers are the flange thicknesses. But with everything made in China now a days you'd prolly have to go custom made to get real good no-leakers.

just my $.02

BTW; that spring-lift is an eye-opener, for me anyway. Didn't know that re-arching could make such a big difference. But will they eventually start to sag again?

shovelbill

Observer
BTW; that spring-lift is an eye-opener, for me anyway. Didn't know that re-arching could make such a big difference. But will they eventually start to sag again?

i'm sorry to say that they will sag. everyone i know and knew that tried that was not happy after a fashion. a lot depends on the weight of the truck and how much it gets flexed. suburbans are almost always heavy in the rear without any additional weight being added. i guess it also depends on the price point also. i sure hope 1leg has better luck than the people i've known..........

1leg

Explorer
are you going to use a drop pitman arm or steering arm? longer brake lines and possible degree shims for the pinion angle? have you researched the 3 wire O2 sensors?

coating is nice on the headers....you going to do a 2 1/2" to Y collector to 3" out back?

Yes it will get a drop pitman arm but right now it does not have one. Yes i will be ordering some brake line very soon before i do anymore off roading. Pinion angle was corrected by the spring shop, no shims that i know of. Yes i plan to do a 3 wire upgrade when this O2 sensor fails.

Exhaust is 2.5 y-pipe to 3 inch.

1leg

Explorer
i'm sorry to say that they will sag. everyone i know and knew that tried that was not happy after a fashion. a lot depends on the weight of the truck and how much it gets flexed. suburbans are almost always heavy in the rear without any additional weight being added. i guess it also depends on the price point also. i sure hope 1leg has better luck than the people i've known..........

I have heard both sides on the sagging of re-arched springs. But all was hearsay. I admit that i'm not sure what will happen long term. the fact is all springs will sag. So i will be posting up pictures every few months to show the rate of sag.

Here are the ride height pics as of 3/24/2011

Rear

picture.php

Front

picture.php

shovelbill

Observer
i hope they stay arched for you....maybe the shops that were used here in Brooklyn and Queens weren't that great.

what number Monroes did you use on front and back? i never complained about Monroes in the past, but i never used them on a lifted truck. i really want Bilsteins because i don't generally like the ones the lift companies sell that much....least in the past. i'm only lifting mine 2 inches for 33's.

i'm really enjoying your thread here, looking forward to a road test and impressions on the springs. i'm in the research phase for doing my TBI 350 over now.

cheers

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
1leg, you might just be allright with your re-arced springs. If the metal of your springs is old and tired, then they will be prone to sagging. You are on a budget, so all is probably ok. You can allways upgrade to new springs when you get the bucks. As to shocks, well I would stay away from Ranchos. I bought some on sale and after 4 years they are finished. I think I will go with Bilsteins next time. What model Bilsteins is everyone running in there domestic pick-ups?:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3