1ST Annual ExPo/Anza~Borrego Spring Flower Fling....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

1ST Annual ExPo/Anza~Borrego Spring Flower Fling...........

Sat./Sun. ........March 8th and 9th..........

Sat. ......meet at the Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs by 9am.

Sunday ......meet at Christmas Circle by 9am. after camping near Coyote Creek. Top off gas tanks/head for southern end of park. Sunday only guys can meet us here or near the start of Canyon Sin Nobre at the S2.

P2294563_2.jpg

image003-2.jpg

March 1st 2008
P2294647_2.jpg

March 2nd 2008...........from the DesertUSA Website.........
IMG_1169.jpg

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24977

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_abdsp.html

Map of Anza~Borrego State Park........pdf

Attn. San Diego, SoCal, AZ. and whoever..... dudes and dudettes!

Let's think about heading out to Anza~Borrego for the spring flowers and turn all this excitement into an annual event!

I'm thinking Early March......and make it an overnighter so we have more time and so others can meet up if they can't make the first day.

Also share your thoughts on areas to visit and camp. I'm thinking for now up Coyote Canyon, there is a nice hike to a waterfall up at the upper campground (do I dare drag the SWR over those rocks?!!!), or Little Blair Valley....or......

If anyone would like to camp out Friday night too.....we can work that out.

I don't care to be in charge (in case I have to bow out last min.)......let's just make it a group effort and a fun annual ExPo Event!

If anyone with a pick up can bring firewood, that would help. If we camp at a spot with no fire container.....we will need to bring one (anyone have one?) and haul out our ashes.

I'm thinking.....meet at the Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs by 9am. Sat morning.

This gives everyone a chance to top off their gas tanks. There is a mex food place very close to the circle for a last min. massive machaca burrito!:eek:rngartis

CB Radio Channel #4

All Hams Invited! .......:sombrero:

Bring Your Camera!

On Da List..............

1. Fergie ~ maybe Sunday
2. 1leg ~ Sunday only
3. Mc Taco ~ Sunday only
4. HMR ~may try to meet up
5. Boston Mangler ~ Sunday only
6. blupaddler
7. DBS311
8. psychohawk
9. Scenic WonderRunner ~ now a possible Sunday Only

6.gif

Borrego Springs.........

Borrego_Springs.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I'd say March 8th, but then again, my wife will be in Sac, CA then, so I won't have anything to do.

And I should be a HAM operator by then too, so that would be extra fun.

1leg

Explorer
I would like to add my name to the list.
Not sure if I will camp or make it a day trip.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
March is filling up nicely. I'll definitly be out for a day and may camp. Girlfriends' work timing will decide. Count me in.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Good idea SWR!

The wife and I already have plans to be out there. I'll be watching this thread and hopefully we can meet up with everyone.

DBS311

Adventurer
Ok, weird question....I have driven that trail a number of times with a SOA FJ62, so I never really paid attention to the difficulty. The only vehicle I could bring on this trip would be a stock 2002 Xterra with 31x10.50's. Is this doable??? When I say stock, I mean stock. No sliders, no small shackle lift....nothing.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Mark

Please count me and the misses in as a maybe.

I am REALLY jonesing to get the 100 out in the dirt and "Bringing The Misses To Look At Flowers" would be a great transisition! :D :D :D

My new rig is BONE stock though and i cant risk mashing anything yet! :sombrero:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Hey Kevin!

ah ha! ....now you know how it feels!.....hehe

Last time we went to CC I didn't even drive up the rock garden because it was just an up and back out. Too much work for a short stay back then, for me.

Keep asking around. But maybe without sliders, you may not want to go up the steep rock garden "bypass trail". (that's just what they call it....there is no bypass).

I am not stuck on going up CC. There are over 500 miles of trails in the park. I just want this to be fun and easy. Pics and views and friends are the main purpose. One of my favorite campsites in the park is in Little Blair Valley........which overlooks the whole valley.

I'm open to input on a campsite and trials.

I'm thinking we all can meet at Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs around 9am Sat. .......Then hit some trails for the day. Then end up at our campsite before dark. And do some more on Sunday.

....I hope you can make it....Robb.

Kevin..........there are a few drop off's like this (just remembered I had this pic.) heading up/down the rock garden at CC. If you go really really slow and don't take a bad bounce.....you might be OK. If we decide to not all go up.....we could even camp by the creek instead, or camp elsewhere. I really don't care. Just away from crowds and noise. I'm thinkin' the north side of the park on Sat. and the South side of the park on Sunday. Sound good? And for the hard core guys that never want to stop......we could even head home by way of Oriflamme.....heading up it and through Julian. I've never been up Oriflamme.

2007_1118TacoDocExPoMeetNGret0231.jpg

Here is a good view with "rmarz" heading up the rock garden at CC.....

2007_1118TacoDocExPoMeetNGret0128.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRoadie

Explorer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
...the steep rock garden "bypass trail". (that's just what they call it....there is no bypass)....
Historically, it's called the bypass trail because the older route was through the creekbed itself. Constructed in March, 1988, the rocky bypass road has been allowed to deteriorate without regular grading as a way of discouraging traffic somewhat from reaching Collins Valley and disturbing protected bighorn sheep who need to come down from their canyons to the west and drink in Coyote Creek. Before 1988, traffic in the creekbed itself was causing massive turbidity and fish/frog kill. Borrego State Park also allowed non-licensed vehicles (ATV, cycles, etc.) to go through the creekbed before 1988 - as many as 1000 on popular weekends!

There used to be a ranger station in Collins Valley near the present barely-developed campsites and pit toilet with no roof, and they'd collect day-use fees at a stand near the end of the pavement at the start of the trail.

Since then, they limit their 500 miles of trails to street-legal vehicles only, and corral the OHV crowd into the Ocotillo Wells SRVA area of 80,000 acres.

For more reading:
http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr110/psw_gtr110_c_vancleve.pdf

S

Scenic WonderRunner

BUMP!.................for Flower Power!

Peace Dood!

The more the merrier!:costumed-smiley-007

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I did a quick aerial survey today while at "work". Not much blooming, yet, in Coyote Canyon & surrounding areas but there is that hint of green all over the place. That's a good sign of things to come. Looking forward to next weekend!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Kevin! ah ha! ....now you know how it feels!.....hehe

YUP! :hehe:

Kevin..........there are a few drop off's like this (just remembered I had this pic.) heading up/down the rock garden at CC. If you go really really slow and don't take a bad bounce.....you might be OK.

Yeah, i wont be risking that just yet! :D

Spoke with the misses and she is very interested, but we are only free on Sunday! Anyone interested in Caravaning with us early Sunday AM to meetup with the Group?

Thanks

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Oh man, this sounds good! I'm actually heading on out there early tomorrow. Next weekend is our one year anniversary and the wife doesn't want to spend it in the jeep.:smiley_drive:

I'll be sure to report on what the conditions are like.

psychohawk

Observer
Count me in, sounds like a great time and I've been wanting to get to AB for some time.

Thanks!
Carl

PS I work in Orange County (Mission Viejo) so I'll probably be tenting it somewhere Friday night ... recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz