1ST Annual ExPo/Anza~Borrego Spring Flower Fling....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

psychohawk said:
Count me in, sounds like a great time and I've been wanting to get to AB for some time.

Thanks!
Carl

PS I work in Orange County (Mission Viejo) so I'll probably be tenting it somewhere Friday night ... recommendations?

Here is a map of the park.......click to zoom.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf

You can do despersed camping just about anywhere......but better to camp where you have seen others use a spot. No fires on the ground in Anza~Borrego......we need to use a container per the park rules.

Study the map before you leave. You will figure it out once you get there. Personally......I enjoy campsites with Scenic views!

The Roadie likes "Hawk Canyon"..........I like "Little Blair Valley". Too many spots to list.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I'd love to go, but duty calls... :violent-smiley-031:

I'm in a course right now and cant attend.

Have a great time and hoist one for me! :beer:

TheRoadie

Explorer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
No fires on the ground in Anza~Borrego......we need to use a container per the park rules....
Unless there's an "official" fire ring already there. I've seen some in Collins Valley and in Hawk Canyon, but they are indeed rare outside the 3 developed (fee charged) campgrounds. Are there any in Blair Valley?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

No Fire Containers in the Blair Valley area that I have seen. And the last time I went to Little Blair.........I was Very upset to see that somebody made a fire on the ground right next to my favorite huge boulder.........which sent a black mark up the huge boulder!........UG!

I took my good 'ole friend from my college days out to camp in Little Blair a couple years ago to see the flowers. We arrived at dark.

In the morning when the sun came up..........she and her young son were just amazed at all the life in the desert!

Here is a pic of my favorite campsite in Anza~Borrego.......... pre~digital days.....35mm scanned

LittleBlairValleyAnzaBorrego.jpg

I won't tell you online how to get there.........but I will be glad to show you in person.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Well, I'm taking the HAM test on the 8th, so I'm thinking I'm out on this one, although I may try to make a day trip.

Bummer too, the wife is out of town so it would have been me and the Dog in the Jeep.

1leg

Explorer
Looks like i have to do some overtime on Saturday. I can do Sunday. Do we have a Sunday Meet up place YET. I suggestSunday Mcdonolds in Ramona 8am

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
1leg said:
I can do Sunday. Do we have a Sunday Meet up place YET. I suggestSunday Mcdonolds in Ramona 8am

I am free Sunday only as well and the misses is interested in joining me as well.

What are your plans for the day on sunday and how tough are the trails you are going to be doing??

I got a bone stock rig that i cant risk mangling yet until i get my armor. I am down for some light duty stuff and flower peeping, the misses would dig it.

Lemme know if your looking for some lighter stuff! I know just where that McD's is, that is our usual meeting spot for the :roost: club too! :D

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I had to rush my son to the hospital this past weekend. At this time I am not sure I can head out to AB next weekend.

I want the trip to go as planned though, with or without me.

Can a couple guys step up to the plate and help coordinate.....please?

This is a group ExPo event......not my event.

And..............."Roadie" .....

Would you be able to post up the GPS map of our last trip we did where we came out on the old Truckhaven Trail............?

My plan was to do the northern part of the park on Sat. and head south on Sunday morning.

Sat. .....Top off tanks in Borrego Springs with a meet up by 9am at the Christmas Circle. Then head for a view at Font's Point. Then take the wash trails all the way down to the Pumpkin Patch and come out on the hwy via the old Truckhaven Trail. If time permits we could even head up to the Calcite Mine for great views. Then head back toward the Coyote Canyon area and either drive up the rock garden and camp up there. Or if folks don't want to drive up we could camp down lower near the creek....or other area.

Sunday..... Drive down to the Blair valley area for views and flower pics. On to Canyon Sin Nombre....Diablo Drop Off....Explore the Fish Creek area....and pop out on the hwy78 at Ocotillo Wells.

Post up your ideas................

Last edited by a moderator:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Scenic WonderRunner said:
I had to rush my son to the hospital this past weekend. At this time I am not sure I can head out to AB next weekend.

I want the trip to go as planned though, with or without me.

Can a couple guys step up to the plate and help coordinate.....please?

This is a group ExPo event......not my event.

And..............."Roadie" .....

Would you be able to post up the GPS map of our last trip we did where we came out on the old Truckhaven Trail............?

I hope he's okay. My thoughts are with you.

viatierra

Explorer
Absolutley! Hope he recovers soon...

It doesn't appear that anyone is still up for camping Saturday, so Sam and I will probably save the extra miles and look for flowers somewhere much closer to home in AZ.

I'll look forward to making camp with you guys another time!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

viatierra said:
Absolutley! Hope he recovers soon...

It doesn't appear that anyone is still up for camping Saturday, so Sam and I will probably save the extra miles and look for flowers somewhere much closer to home in AZ.

I'll look forward to making camp with you guys another time!

We should organize an AZ/CA. group meet up at Picacho along the Colorado River...:088: .... this spring before things heat up! And maybe even add the Bradshaw Trail. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I've started some planning threads on it somewhere.........but my truck kept breaking and I could not do it back then.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hey SWR,

Try for another weekend? I was hoping to go wheeling with you and the flowers will bloom for a few more weekends anyhow so try to plan another trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz