1st Gen Hilux 3RZ build thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
No progress to report at this time. Too busy finding a use for a roller fairlead. I needed a rolling cart for my pressure washer hose reel so that seemed like the best use for the fairlead.

Meh... I don't know. I think the cart needs to be triangulated better. I mean... what if you need to "side reel?"

:coffeedrink:

I thought you guys would get a kick out of that. The winch only has a maximum of two arm power so I'm not worried about sidepulls...!

The FJ40 project is a "budget" build, if you can call a linked V8 buggy budget minded. We're using a HP D60 front, a HP D70 rear, a 5.3 Vortec, TH400, 3.8 Atlas, 4 link rear and 3 link front with full hydro all sitting on 41 x 17's. I'm trying to keep it low and that means a lot of cutting of the body and including front and rear frame clips. The rear suspension was designed on the computer using the basic link suspension calculators. I set it up for a bit less roll oversteer than you would for a race car. The link geometry needed to focus on pinion angle control because of the short rear driveshaft, so the top links are longer than the lowers. The front suspension was designed on the fly with so many compromises like oil pan, exhaust, motor mount, radiator clearance.

Here are a couple pics of the rear suspension. Note: the rear frame will be clipped just aft of the upper link mounts.

Simons

Adventurer
I had some very stiff seals that made it feel like the hub was fully seated when installed by hand, when in fact it's not quite there. So first I pack my bearings with grease, then I'll tighten the bearings down snug with a ratchet, back em off then torque them, somewhere in the vicinity of 45ft/lbs... But that probably exactly what you're doing soooo no great mystery solved.

P.s. That FJ will definitely need its own thread! Aaaand I think I may copy those chassis stands, any design changes you'd suggest?

Last edited:
I had some very stiff seals that made it feel like the hub was fully seated when installed by hand, when in fact it's not quite there. So first I pack my bearings with grease, then I'll tighten the bearings down snug with a ratchet, back em off then torque them, somewhere in the vicinity of 45ft/lbs... But that probably exactly what you're doing soooo no great mystery solved.

P.s. That FJ will definitely need its own thread! Aaaand I think I may copy those chassis stands, any design changes you'd suggest?
Since there are varying prescribed methods, i have adhered to the method described in the FSM, which is essentially what you described. Every once in a while, one gets past me.

Changes to the stands... well that is still up for debate. I used 1" x 8 tpi Acme thread for the adjuster, but I would probably go bigger and with a more coarse thread pitch. And for this job I would like to have them taller, but then for other jobs, they would be too tall. So that's a conundrum. I guess I should build another set. Additionally, I would like a short set for axles too, so that's three sets now...

You should just post pictures of your daily events, I'm sure it would keep me entertained. haha
I have a daily blog on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/StoffregenMotorsports

The fj build sounds so awesome! Haha "budget" we all know what that means
I know. I try to not let that word get to me, but when a customer comes to me for a full build and then explains that there's a tight budget, I usually have to try hard and explain that there is no way to control certain costs. The list of priorities usually gets amended as the job progresses and that, as we all know, is what kills a budget.

But I do try.

Chaser88

Observer
Been following this thread long before I bought my Toyota 4x4. That dash looks awesome! Your skills are insane. Love how you keep everything so clean and simple. Thanks for sharing what you do!

rickashay

Explorer
Your slacking is forgiven now.

Moderately acceptable. LOL Well looks like all I need to do is start looking for that FJ55 shell and gather 50K from under the pillow cushions, and you'll be set for your next project!

In all seriousness, thanks for sharing this truck and the 40. Truly inspiring and so fun to watch.

^Yes thank you!!

In all honesty, I think I took a risk coming over here to ExPo, I didn't know if this was the right audience for the type of work I do. You guys have proven me wrong. You all seem to be EXACTLY the kind of people I want to show my work to. I get some really insightful comments without all the snickering.

Thanks for listening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad