1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
I added 25mm Sway A Way Torsion Bars.

http://www.swayaway.com/VehicleMake_4.php

And low profile bump stops. I cranked them up enough to match my new rear lift leaf springs. This is not the optimum set up. But it was quick and easy until I can decide a better way to go.

There are long travel IFS set up's on the market. But I would rather have a solid axle swap. I bet the cost would almost be the same.

I'm probably going to go with OME when I get a truck. Full, medium/heavy kit... not sure which to go for. Put on either 31 x 9.50s or 33x9.50 or 10.50. Goin tall and skinny. I dont think I want to go for 34x10.50.:Wow1:.
bb_nairobi_600x421.jpg

I like this setup...

I also like this one, 34x10.50, with 4 inch.
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzAuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzEuanBn.jpg

That tan one looks good on the 34s. What is your reasoning for going narrow?

Dont get out often? :sombrero:
deformation.gif

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

I'm wanting the truck for overland travel, not rock crawling. Plus, the benefits of lighter tires, less resistance, less strain on the motor.

Besides, so many Camel Trophy trucks couldn't be all that wrong.
05picture01.jpg

Didnt I see where you went down to Mex in your Runner? Any trip reports or info on that? Where did you guys go?
EDIT: Found it--- Dunas de Coahuila 2009

Last edited:

RU55ELL

Explorer
I understand the science behind the tire selection, I just didn't know what all you had in mind for the truck. Mine is a little heavier toward the crawler end of the spectrum, but still a good enough balance that I could overland a bit with it. I just re-geared it so that there wouldn't be so much strain on the drivetrain components. I certainly won't be going any bigger than 35s unless I get another vehicle for overlanding and turned this one into a pure crawler.

I understand the science behind the tire selection, I just didn't know what all you had in mind for the truck. Mine is a little heavier toward the crawler end of the spectrum, but still a good enough balance that I could overland a bit with it. I just re-geared it so that there wouldn't be so much strain on the drivetrain components. I certainly won't be going any bigger than 35s unless I get another vehicle for overlanding and turned this one into a pure crawler.

Mainly. I want the truck do do a bit of everything. Be able to crawl over a few rock ledges, or washouts with plenty of flex but still be comfortable on the road (OME suspension), go through the desert or through jungle mud or river crossings (snorkel and will move the computer into glove box). Plan on building a roof rack like one i showed earlier, with the supports on the side of the truck, allowing for the back roof to come off... if we were to base camp for a few days and decided to go exploring. Tire selection, I'm thinking a tire 10" wide or so will be the best compromise for doing a variety of terrains, and easy to come by. Probably either 31 or 33x10.50. Still unsure about MT or AT though. Will probably go with an aussie locker in the rear (A good price per lock, for the type of driving I want to do). Not sure if I will want/need it in the front axle though.
Roof top tent might come eventually, or I may try to build my own.
Who knows? I dont even have the truck that I want yet!

Not to mention, I like to keep things small (and light).... because you never know when this will be you... in the jungle...
ferry_de_auto.jpg

The pic above is nice... but this one is a Toy.
IMG_0021.JPG

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
If you are looking to buy a rig, now is a good time. Yotatech has new 1st gen 4runners on there everyday. It used to be that someone would post an 85 SR5 and everyone would be clammering to buy it, but now its just another project that is sadly being sold due to job loss or some other financial hardship. Bad time to sell, great time to buy.
If you want something different, there' s an 87 Turbo SR5 on there now. It does have the red interior though. There are probably 3 85's on the first page and 6 IFS rigs.

Another option, especially for hauling gear and travel and not as much crawling is an Xcab truck with a shell. They have a longer wheelbase than the 4runners, if that matters.

My advice, search everywhere(craigslist, searchtempest, autotrader, yotatech, tacomaterritory, and of course here!) , be willing to drive for the right one( I drove a rental car 600 miles to pick up my 89 and then towed the rental car home), and if you plan on lots of mods, find one that has most of the initial mods completed. A regeared truck will cost you .20 on the dollar compared to if you do it yourself. A truck with $10K into it will cost $5K, etc..

Last point:
IFS or SFA? 4wd Toyota Owners magazine is doing a test right now. They have built up two 1st gens with about 4" of lift, but one is SFA and one is IFS, and they are taking them on the trails. Right now, its a toss up as to which one is FAR superior to the other. They each have their merits.

I went this morning and looked at a nice 85 SR5. Its not running, but its a complete truck, plus the guy is giving me axles, tranny, transfer case, an extra door and rear door. I already intend to put a NEW motor in whatever truck i get, and it looks like i might go with Oregon Engine's superstock motor. Lifetime warranty on it. A buddy of mine just dealt with them and they are good people and the motor is just fine.

This 4runner is only going for $700:). Just gotta tow it back to my house. He also had a nice pickup for $700 and I was going to get that as well, but he sold it this morning.

Oh and the reason i'm choosing the 4runner over a pickup is due to a lil brown eye curly headed youngin that likes to go exploring with mommy and daddy.

So, now that my Xterra is sold, I can dive into this 4 runner. :Wow1:

My second question after what motor to put in is, what color to paint it???
coolfj40_2077_129301058

Vintage beige with a white top.... ORRRR more fun, Camel Trophy yellow-beige?
CamelTrophy06.JPG

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I used to have an 89 and always wanted to paint it like this one that you posted:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzAuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzEuanBn.jpg

That's a tight lookin ride!

Baja_sm.jpg

Anyone know who's truck this is and where I could possibly find a build thread?
Or any idea what lift/tire combo they are using?
I like that combo bumper!

corax

Explorer
Anyone know who's truck this is and where I could possibly find a build thread?
Or any idea what lift/tire combo they are using?
I like that combo bumper!

I knew I saw that pic recently - it's Pappy from IH8Mud

his garage thread on IH8 -> http://forum.ih8mud.com/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1007

from the thread where I saw the pic you posted:
Anytime I make a modification to my 4Runner I always keep my trips to Baja in mind.
- Don't bob the bed. You want the storage. You might also want to consider the need to sleep back there. Cover it.
- Extra fuel. An auxiliary fuel tank is a must. Extra 20L cans are a good idea. I carry 35 gallons on-board when I go to Baja (17 factory tank, 14 NMMP tank, 5 on the rear bumper).
- Dual batteries are a must, even if the second battery just powers accessories.
- No tire larger than 33". Install a lift to match.
- Lower gearing is a must.
- At least a locker in the rear. ARB or electric are good choices.
- You must have a full size spare. Mount the spare on the rear bumper. The Marlin bumper is good for crawling, not exploring. Look at bumper designs from Slee and 4X4 Labs for ideas. They don't make them for minis, so plan on building your own, or getting one built.
- Winch, you must have a winch to get your butt out.
- Hi-lift jack. Get one and learn how to use it before you get stuck.
- Communication. Get a CB radio. Better yet, get a HAM radio license and a dual band radio. My ham works where cell phones don't.
Consider a 12V fridge. Sometimes ice sucks. Run it off the second battery so you don't kill your starting battery.

attachment.php

corax

Explorer
Cool. Thanks! Thats what I needed.
One other mod that is a must do for me is an auxiliary fuel tank. Any ideas? JC whitney has a few fuel cells for like 200-300ish.

Should be picking up the 85 for $700 this week with the help of Mr. Leary!

I like my NWMP 14 gal aux tank, but instead of gravity feed to the main tank I wired with electric transfer pump - since it puts the rear spare on a slight angle, I should be able to easily fit a 33" spare in the back. Their site lists the current price at $630 for a 14 gallon tank - I found mine used on ebay for 1/4 that price a few years ago.

here's my install
100_4355.jpg

I've also heard of people installing a mid 90's Ford E150 van fuel tank in the back after cutting the factory spare tire hanger/crossmember out - you'd have to weld in a replacement crossmember and figure out secure mounting for the tank (just under 20 gallons would put it at 120 lbs fuel + weight of the tank)
here's a Pirate4x4 thread on the Ford tank:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484247&highlight=aux+tank

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Aux Fuel Tank.

I was talking with a local radiator shop a few months ago. While talking, they told me they do welding and metal fabrication.

I asked them if they could make me a CA. Compliant Aux. fuel tank and place it under the truck along a frame rail, connected to my stock fuel tank. They said yes they could. This is trickier in CA. where we have new rules about this. I don't even know if there is a ready made Aux. Fuel Tank made for CA. at the moment that will comply with the new rules. Anyone know of one?

I bet you could find a shop in your area to build/fit a custom tank with rock shield, and place it where you want under your new 4Runner. You can't have the same sick rules that California has yet! Can you?

RU55ELL

Explorer
Last point:
IFS or SFA? 4wd Toyota Owners magazine is doing a test right now. They have built up two 1st gens with about 4" of lift, but one is SFA and one is IFS, and they are taking them on the trails. Right now, its a toss up as to which one is FAR superior to the other. They each have their merits.

I get this magazine in the mail and that article has me very interested. I'm sure it will come down to what an individual wants. For comfort and mild wheeling, get the IFS. For a ton of flex, strength and simplicity, get the SFA.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

And if you enjoy floating downhill on three wheels.....stick with the IFS baby!

Weeeeee!:sombrero::elkgrin::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

SWRliftingtireatElliotMine.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy