1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

In my 86 I have a factory 4.88 in the front from a 93 and I regeared a 97 TRD e-locker to match. 4.56 was the lowest gear the e-locker came with from the factory.

My motor has a cam in it and balanced but other wise stock. Does OK with the 33 x12.5's.

Word of warning the lighter the wheel combo the easier it will be to spin. My factory steels with uniroyal 235x 85x15 were only 6lb lighter then the BFG 33x12.5 on aluminum 15x7's. When I wear these out I am going with a 33x10.5 to loose some more weight.

Another REAL important upgrade if you are still running the IFS is replace the rotors and calipers with the set from a 93 v6 with the 31 inch tire option. totally bolt on. Then throw a 1 inch master on it. With that combo I can lock the front 33's on dry pavement. I am still running the stock 86 booster and it has a stiff peddle. A 93 V6 booster is a bolt on as well.
I went through hell finding a reservoir 2 years ago and after it was all said and done this was looking like a really good deal.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-brake-master-cylinder.
Unbolt the proportion valve arm off the back axle and zip tie it all the way up.

Here is some comparison pictures of what stock 86 parts look like compared to stock V6 31 inch tire parts.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

GR....

Those are Awesome tips on the 1st Gen. Brakes.

I started a discussion over here.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35037

Front end protection???

I know I still havent gotten a 4runner (yet), but I'm making a wishlist of the junk I want to bolt on/in. I'm definitely going to budget a winch into the build, but trying to figure out what winch bumper? I really like the ARB, but the price tag is :Wow1:. The only other common bumper are the tube bumpers. But, I'm worried that they dont actually offer any protection? And from the looks of them leave the radiator vulnerable?!?
kurtfrontbumper1.JPG

Do these provide any protection in a front end collision/ animal impact?

Are there any other companies that offer a bumper similar to ARB but possibly a bit cheaper? Does TJM no longer imporrt to the US?

djrez4

Adventurer
Do these provide any protection in a front end collision/ animal impact?

Are there any other companies that offer a bumper similar to ARB but possibly a bit cheaper? Does TJM no longer imporrt to the US?

I'm going through the same dilemma. I want good protection, with a winch. I spoke to Scotty at Addicted Offroad (because I like supporting local businesses) about his tube bumper and if he could make additions - like add plate between the tubes, etc. He said he'd do whatever I wanted, but didn't think it was necessary.

I think one of the main things you'll see is that tube bumpers are geared more toward crawling and don't necessarily offer the function an expo vehicle may require. If I can find a deal on an ARB, I intend to get one. Otherwise, I think I'll grab a bumper from Addicted and add plate as I deem fit. One of the main things I'd like to have is lockable access to the winch.

There really aren't any other options for off-the-shelf, ARB-type bumpers. There are companies that will create one-offs for you - Armorology, another local company, comes to mind - but expect to pay out the nose for one of those.

I'm going through the same dilemma. I want good protection, with a winch. I spoke to Scotty at Addicted Offroad (because I like supporting local businesses) about his tube bumper and if he could make additions - like add plate between the tubes, etc. He said he'd do whatever I wanted, but didn't think it was necessary.

I think one of the main things you'll see is that tube bumpers are geared more toward crawling and don't necessarily offer the function an expo vehicle may require. If I can find a deal on an ARB, I intend to get one. Otherwise, I think I'll grab a bumper from Addicted and add plate as I deem fit. One of the main things I'd like to have is lockable access to the winch.

There really aren't any other options for off-the-shelf, ARB-type bumpers. There are companies that will create one-offs for you - Armorology, another local company, comes to mind - but expect to pay out the nose for one of those.

The addicted offroad bumper is one of the best looking tube style i've seen.

Besides ARB, Kennesaw Mountain Accessories does some similar type bumpers. But dont know how much they cost. If they are comparable or cheaper, I'll go with them to support a US company. BUT ARB is probably the way to go im thinking.

Definately looks good.
NONSUV_06.jpg

djrez4

Adventurer
Ah....I forgot about KMA. I've heard good and bad.

As far as cost goes - I'd estimate around $700 for a Wincher comparable to the ARB, assuming you reuse your own turn signals.

Base winch or receiver style bumper
1984-1995 pickup, 1984-2002 4Runner,
1995-2004 Tacoma - $480

Options:

Grill Guard - $85
Light Guards - $85
Light Bar - $45
Shackle Mounts or D rings - $40 pair
Turn Signal/Marker Light set - $45
LED Turn Signal/Marker Light set - $115
Receiver tube installed on winch bumper - $60
3.5" 55 watt halogen lights recessed in bumper - $95
HD switch kit for lights - $19.75
rubber dock bumper, pair - $40

Finishes:
Satin black is standard. Also available in gloss black ($25), aluminum/silver
brite ($45) and spray on bedliner ($100). Please call for a quote on custom
colours.

(http://www.kenmtnac.com/WiToy.html)

austintaco

Explorer
Keep your eyes posted and be ready to buy a TJM or ARB from a forum, craigslist, or junk yard. My friend just got an ARB for free from a cash for clunker truck that came in!
I paid $275 for my ARB that I put on my Tacoma from a member on Tacomaterritory.com.

My 84 has a TJM that came on it, but I added some tubework to it:

10_06_08_006.jpg

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Ah....I forgot about KMA. I've heard good and bad.

As far as cost goes - I'd estimate around $700 for a Wincher comparable to the ARB, assuming you reuse your own turn signals.

(http://www.kenmtnac.com/WiToy.html)

DO NOT pay Kyle till you are sure the work is done and done right.

I don't get Kyle (I know him). He can do some of the nicest work when he wants too then turn right around and do something stupid.

If you are local and can go down frequently you can get a good product out of him. a LOT of people upset with him about stuff bought over the internet.

DO NOT pay Kyle till you are sure the work is done and done right.

I don't get Kyle (I know him). He can do some of the nicest work when he wants too then turn right around and do something stupid.

If you are local and can go down frequently you can get a good product out of him. a LOT of people upset with him about stuff bought over the internet.

Glad to hear that, wont be buying from them if thats true. I had to deal with Spencer Low Racing and my Xterra's suspension products.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
yes, STAY AWAY from Kennesaw... Before I bought my Marlin rear bumper I was really liking the look of their rear "multi-carrier" bumper for my 1st Gen... After alot of run-around, confusing corespondence/phone calls and reading multiple horror stories I decided against it. One of my wheeling buddies however couldn't say no to what looked like a great bumper. Well, it didn't fit... In fact it looked like it wasn't even made for the right truck. Upon sending it back KMA said it was damaged in-route and "couldn't be repaired"... after much haggaling and many threats of small-claims lawsuits they returned his money... 6 months later... Prettyu lame IMO

The bumper LOOKED like it was made well, it was just made wrong and they ownr/fabricator didn't stand behind his product. for that reason I will NEVER give a dime to those guys no matter how desperate I am. Bummer too cause the "wincher" front bumper looks to be a good option to a full-on ARB bull-bar (although when you add ity all up you're right in ARB territory and I KNOW that ARB makes a good bumper)

WHat I REALLY want for the front of my truck is a bumper akin to the Rovertym front bumper
SlimLine_Bumper__48f79b5651899.jpg
Except NOT attached to a Rover ;)
( http://rovertym.com/ ). I love the slim plate bar with the tube hoop combo, plus they look like they make for a better approach angle then an ARB. But that said, I would trust my life to an ARB, I've hit more then a few kangaroo's with ARB equiped Cruisers (70 series Ute's and troupy's :drool: ) in Australia and the bull-bar did it's job admirably and was completely un-scathed.

Anyway, back to discussing one of the greatest 4wd's ever: The 1st Gen 4Runner!!!!!!!!!! I wish I wasn't at work so I could see all the pics and put up my new shots but alas it will have to wait till tonight when I get off shift.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
I found a decent white w/ white top and grey interior 87 4runner today. BUT, the inside is kind of funky and the truck has 223,000 miles and they are asking 2950. It runs and sounded alright, didnt drive it. Might go haggle them on Monday. I'm still worried about getting a high mileage truck like that, I want to put a new motor in the truck. I probably wont pay more than $2000 for the truck if they sell it that low... All I have to work with is $4000... and have a lot of mods I want to do!

RU55ELL

Explorer
Trucks are going for much cheaper than that here. The truck market sucks right now, so the truck isn't going to go anywhere unless some goof with too much money comes along and snatches it up. Wear him down or wait him out.

Trucks are going for much cheaper than that here. The truck market sucks right now, so the truck isn't going to go anywhere unless some goof with too much money comes along and snatches it up. Wear him down or wait him out.

Yeh, the good news on the truck is that its got new highway tires (its at sort of a make shift tire repair place with a few used cars) and the rear springs arent sagging. Has receiver hitch. The rear window worked. AC worked.

Bad news on it besides what I mentioned earlier is that it has a bit of rust on that bit between the hood and windshield (having a brain fart, but where the wipers sit down and it has a couple vents). Should be able to fix that though. Drivers side window is off the track or something. There is also a crack in the dash, carpets are skuzzy, shifter boots are trash.

RU55ELL

Explorer
That doesnt sound too far off how mine was when I bought it. 210K on the clock, one crack in the dash, a little rust above both rear fenderwells. AC worked, all power accessories worked. The interior was pretty much flawless though. Of course, I bought mine for $3500 when the economy was good.

Just use all the problems against the seller and he should be able to work with you on it.

This one is in the Beaumont area. If it is still for sale around Christmas time, I could take a look for you. It is a little more than you are looking to spend though.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1473350426.htm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy