1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
i bought my 89 in july with 220k. timing chain and exhaust manifold needed replaced but mechanically pretty good. body had been patched above all fenders but the frame is excellant. rear window worked w/ the switch (not the key) and the interior was bordering excellant. paid $1400. be patient (if you can, believe me i understand!), there are still deals out there.

That doesnt sound too far off how mine was when I bought it. 210K on the clock, one crack in the dash, a little rust above both rear fenderwells. AC worked, all power accessories worked. The interior was pretty much flawless though. Of course, I bought mine for $3500 when the economy was good.

Just use all the problems against the seller and he should be able to work with you on it.

This one is in the Beaumont area. If it is still for sale around Christmas time, I could take a look for you. It is a little more than you are looking to spend though.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1473350426.htm

I'm actually hoping to find a good one with a bad motor for like $700-800. I really want to just put a brand new long block in it. Oregon Engine Rebuilders has just a plain stock engine for $1000 and a slightly modified one for $1400. Doing a couple mods like K&N and flowmaster exhaust helps with the power and efficiency of the motor.

austintaco

Explorer
I found a decent white w/ white top and grey interior 87 4runner today. BUT, the inside is kind of funky and the truck has 223,000 miles and they are asking 2950. It runs and sounded alright, didnt drive it. Might go haggle them on Monday. I'm still worried about getting a high mileage truck like that, I want to put a new motor in the truck. I probably wont pay more than $2000 for the truck if they sell it that low... All I have to work with is $4000... and have a lot of mods I want to do!

I sold my 89 SR5 4runner for $1500. It had the 3.0, but still ran great at 180K. Everything worked, and it had all options(power everything, sunroof, rear defrost, etc.. It had some rust and some body damage and I had it repaired, but it needed paint so it had primer spots on it. Basically a loaded, straight and clean 89. Just giving you an idea of what you can find out there.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Lot cheaper here as well. I paid $1400 for mine.

Wanna drive to GA? Here is the holy grail of 4runners. A clean looking 85 for $2500 starting. Bummer that it is a Auto but w56 is a bolt in and plenty of parts trucks in the yards these days to get peddles out of.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/1485201354.html

Honestly I am to the point of wanting to find a 2nd Gen with a 22re and trade my parts onto it. The 2 door is just be coming a pain with the kids.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Does anyone have a good parts source for a 3.0 V6...?

List your 1st Generation parts source!

I'm having hard start and stalling problems. One of the possible fixes is replacing the Coil w/Igniter. I'm thinking of trying this before taking it to my local mechanic and dying along the way.

Also, would there be any advantage in using something like the Accel High Performance Coils?

~~~~~

Here is one style I found.

a35140009.jpg

ACCEL HEAVY DUTY ELECTRONIC/CD TYPE E-CORE SUPER COIL -- 0.7 ohms primary resistance, 10K ohms secondary resistance, 70:1 turns ratio, 48000 V maximum voltage; Comes with wire and leads; Features an E-core design and special high-temperature epoxy that resists shock and vibration; Offers minimized inductance losses, maximized energy output and excellent thermal conductivity; Consists of high-energy heavy-gauge windings, an extruded aluminum heat sink and SAE male tower; Designed to work with both breakerless electronic and CD ignition systems, as well as Accel, Mallory, Crane, Holley or MSD capacitive discharge ignition systems; With Accel's limited 1-year warranty.

coffee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

austintaco

Explorer
I belong to an old school toyota 4runner list on yahoo that I still get group messages for. I usually just delete them, but today there was an interesting one. Someone posted on there looking for an idea of how much their truck is worth. It is an 85 5spd 4runner with.....................60K on the motor!

I emailed them directly and I did find out its in CA. If anyone wants more info, I can provide their email address, but I can't vouch for anything about the seller or the truck. Its just a lead.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark, I've had good luck with Rock Auto for the 4 cyl. A quick look at 6 cyl stuff looks promising also.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Don't know nuthin' about the high end ignition stuff.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I have used their site many times. And even ordered some things from them.

But I can't find an "Igniter".....at RockAuto. I already looked.

Where can I find a High Output Coil with Igniter......say maybe 50,000 Volts!? That will work with my 1988 Toyota 3.0 V6.....?

Can somebody share a Link?

I've had two bummers in two days. Two different trucks that turned out to be no goes. A red 86 and an 87 today. The 86 had only around 80,000 miles but had obviously been wrecked... the radiator was even bent... The 87 was burning and leaking oil, and they wanted $2500!:Wow1:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a good parts source for a 3.0 V6...?

List your 1st Generation parts source!

I'm having hard start and stalling problems. One of the possible fixes is replacing the Coil w/Igniter. I'm thinking of trying this before taking it to my local mechanic and dying along the way.

You gone through the FSM?
Hard start and stalling could be a fuel pump issue. Bad check valve in the pump will definitely cause a hard start issue. Check the fuel pressure.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I've had two bummers in two days. Two different trucks that turned out to be no goes. A red 86 and an 87 today. The 86 had only around 80,000 miles but had obviously been wrecked... the radiator was even bent... The 87 was burning and leaking oil, and they wanted $2500!:Wow1:
keep at it mate, you'll find one and then you'll be back into one of the coolest little 4x4's ever made ;) Can't wait to see what you end up with eh. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers

Dave

austintaco

Explorer

Even though they are getting harder and harder to find, there are plenty of them out there and the more you look the more you will see what you get for your money. When I was looking for my 89, one thing that I stuck out was that the steel blue color ones were always in the best shape. I must have seen 3 loaded SR5's all in steel blue that were in excellent shape.
Don't be afraid to drive a little to pick out the right one. I rented an economy car, drove to Missouri from Austin, TX, and then towed the economy car back with the 4runner that I just bought back.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Thanks Mike.

I have used their site many times. And even ordered some things from them.

But I can't find an "Igniter".....at RockAuto. I already looked.

Where can I find a High Output Coil with Igniter......say maybe 50,000 Volts!? That will work with my 1988 Toyota 3.0 V6.....?

Can somebody share a Link?

Go with OE electronic parts. They have a much better MTBF than any aftermarket parts due to the vehicle warranty. I'd guess that you can find used on 'Mud for not a lot.

Second working your way through the FSM's trouble shooting sequence. Throwing parts at it can be a lot more spendy than figuring out what it wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy