1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

austintaco

Explorer
5132000013_large.jpg

My old '85 4runner before I painted it, added new wheels, 31s and just cleaned it up overall.... Then it stayed covered in mud, and I eventually floated it across a pond, hydro-locked the 22re and decided I didnt like it any more.... (boy to be 16 again and spending daddy's money)

I'm here because I miss it, and want another. I've got a question though, I'm really in need of a truck.
What is the width between the roll bars in the back? I'm a carpenter by trade, so being able to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood would be nice.... instead of my current situation of strapping junk on the roof of my Xterra.

Thanks

Oh and I found a couple 4runners in my area for pretty cheap!

I will get the measurements in the morning, but you could just take the roll bar out if it was close. I ran itno this problem at home depot after I bought a sheet. It wouldn't fit because I had the spare tire strapped to the rollbar. However, I had the top off, so I slid it down to rear passenger floorboard and had it sticking up, resting on the seat backs and floorboard.

Did you have an old build thread for your rig? I remember reading one one time and it was the same color combo as your old one.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I just now measured tonight for you.

I could not measure down to the floor, because my cooler is in the way.

It measured just under 45" inches.

Good enough to store your goods and sleep!:costumed-smiley-007

Here is an old pic.

See 1940's Antique Coffee Maker!

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0122-2.jpg

austintaco

Explorer
On top of the wheelwells, if you removed the rollbar, you would have over 50". If you keep the rollbar in, you might want to cut off the tabs on the bottom that are there for the shoulder seatbelt assembly that they had on some models. They take off another 2 inches between the bars.

If I had to use either of my trucks for work and carry wood, ladders, sheetrock. I would look into a ladder/wood rack for the top that you could also use to attach a cargo basket to after the work week is over and your are ready to go camping. Might cost some $$ but would be very functional.

I just measured diagonally from the corner of the wheelwell and the floor and the inside corner of the rollbar. I measured over 48", so that might work too.

jjdavids

I have hauled plywood in the back of my 85 4Runner before however it is a pain and you can only fit 2 or 3 sheets depending on what size (1/2,3/4). I use a trailer for all of the material hauling I need. Mine does surprisingly well with a trailer.

A lot of people say that towing with a 22re is undoable; however I do it quite often. I have towed a Grand am from Columbia SC to Charleston WV on a dolly without issue. Maintain 60 to 65 the whole way, even up the hills on 77.

However, I had the top off, so I slid it down to rear passenger floorboard and had it sticking up, resting on the seat backs and floorboard.

Did you have an old build thread for your rig? I remember reading one one time and it was the same color combo as your old one.
Hah, over the roll bars.

Nah, I didnt own a computer 8 years ago... and didnt know about ExPo.

I just now measured tonight for you.

I could not measure down to the floor, because my cooler is in the way.

It measured just under 45" inches.

Good enough to store your goods and sleep!:costumed-smiley-007

Thank you sir.

On top of the wheelwells, if you removed the rollbar, you would have over 50". If you keep the rollbar in, you might want to cut off the tabs on the bottom that are there for the shoulder seatbelt assembly that they had on some models. They take off another 2 inches between the bars.

If I had to use either of my trucks for work and carry wood, ladders, sheetrock. I would look into a ladder/wood rack for the top that you could also use to attach a cargo basket to after the work week is over and your are ready to go camping. Might cost some $$ but would be very functional.

I just measured diagonally from the corner of the wheelwell and the floor and the inside corner of the rollbar. I measured over 48", so that might work too.

Thank you sir. I'm kind of thinking about doing a roof rack... that atleast makes it easier to carry the plywood. I never get more than 2-3 sheets anyways.
Check out roofrack idea below...
I have hauled plywood in the back of my 85 4Runner before however it is a pain and you can only fit 2 or 3 sheets depending on what size (1/2,3/4). I use a trailer for all of the material hauling I need. Mine does surprisingly well with a trailer.

A lot of people say that towing with a 22re is undoable; however I do it quite often. I have towed a Grand am from Columbia SC to Charleston WV on a dolly without issue. Maintain 60 to 65 the whole way, even up the hills on 77.

My Xterra sucks at hauling. Hauled my wife's car one time... not fun.

121084858-M.jpg

121084958-L.jpg

I like the rack because I can still have the roof off but still have a useable rack!

Last edited:
Found an 87 that I'm going to look at tomorrow. Doesnt have the sunroof though....:(

3m13o33pc5O55Pc5Re9bdc588f5a7d63e1bbd.jpg

In my price range to go ahead and put in a brand new motor, but supposedly runs fine as it is.

My only reservation is that I want an 85 with the SFA. Just not sure if I want to settle with IFS.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

It's OK!

Too much sun can give you skin cancer:sombrero:! I never even take my sunroof shade off. I don't want the sun on my face! Although, I did take it off in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado! Yes!

I Know! Way too much surfing off Diamond Head as a kid without sun screen! We didn't know!

My IFS has taken me everywhere I ever wanted to go. OK....Maybe I had to back up and try again a couple times!:ylsmoke:

Just get it!

....:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
My IFS has taken me everywhere I ever wanted to go. OK....Maybe I had to back up and try again a couple times!:ylsmoke:

Just get it!

....:beer:

A good argument would be a smoother ride with IFS, right?

What might I need to fix/upgrade on the IFS?

Hey Scenic, and everyone else, what are you guys averaging MPG wise?

jjdavids

Im getting 17 city and 20 hwy after a lot of work adjusting TPS, timing, new plugs, plug wires and 2 1/4 exaust.

Found an 87 that I'm going to look at tomorrow. Doesnt have the sunroof though....:(

3m13o33pc5O55Pc5Re9bdc588f5a7d63e1bbd.jpg

In my price range to go ahead and put in a brand new motor, but supposedly runs fine as it is.

My only reservation is that I want an 85 with the SFA. Just not sure if I want to settle with IFS.

That truck was no good for me. Had the funky red interior and needed a fair amount of mechanical work... search continues.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

A good argument would be a smoother ride with IFS, right?

What might I need to fix/upgrade on the IFS?

Hey Scenic, and everyone else, what are you guys averaging MPG wise?

I added 25mm Sway A Way Torsion Bars.

http://www.swayaway.com/VehicleMake_4.php

And low profile bump stops. I cranked them up enough to match my new rear lift leaf springs. This is not the optimum set up. But it was quick and easy until I can decide a better way to go.

There are long travel IFS set up's on the market. But I would rather have a solid axle swap. I bet the cost would almost be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

RU55ELL

Explorer
There are long travel IFS set up's on the market. But I would rather have a solid axle swap. I bet the cost would almost be the same.

How much are the LT kits that you have in mind? The SAS ends up being a bit more $$$ then you first think. The little odds and ends killed me. :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy